Dick Smith to the Rescue

Ron5335

I just heard on the 2GB 1700hr News that Dick Smith has registered his name as a Political Party.

He is fed up with the bureaucracy that exists throughout society, especially in the light aircraft section.

• Like 4

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard on the 2GB 1700hr News that Dick Smith has registered his name as a Political Party.He is fed up with the bureaucracy that exists throughout society, especially in the light aircraft section.

A ray of hope. What is the function of all these public servants? To serve the public. To help people make good things happen. Not get in the way and create impediments.

• Agree 2

So he sets up a political party that's going to do all sorts of popular things. What has he been doing to sort out bureaucracy in the meantime?

On his orchestrated helicopter rides he raved about how the UK ATC system handled him and made life easy, but what he didn't realise was we made it easy just so we could get rid of him asap. Sorry to be negative, but I don't put any hope in him even doing as badly as Clive Palmer.

• Informative 1

So he sets up a political party that's going to do all sorts of popular things. What has he been doing to sort out bureaucracy in the meantime?On his orchestrated helicopter rides he raved about how the UK ATC system handled him and made life easy, but what he didn't realise was we made it easy just so we could get rid of him asap. Sorry to be negative, but I don't put any hope in him even doing as badly as Clive Palmer.

Isn't this the same bloke who made his millions buying and selling cheap Asian imported electronics to us all , and now urges us all to buy Aussie now his pockets are well and truly lined ... Hypocritical I would have thought ..

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

Guest Andys@coffs

To be fair....can you name a single Australian made alternate to what he was selling in DSE........I don't personally see any hypocrisy there, in that at the time and continuing today there wasn't an Australian source for electronic components or the type of stuff he was selling....He did value add to imported stuff....bringing in components and making up kits etc.

I use PLB's that are made in Australia over imported ones, especially as they are cost and feature competitive. I think that's all we can do.......How many of us are flying aircraft other than Australian made.........there are a lot (majority!)

I also think that most people can be philosophical once they have food in their stomach and a roof over their head, until that occurs you get the best bang for your buck!

Andy

Isn't this the same bloke who made his millions buying and selling cheap Asian imported electronics to us all , and now urges us all to buy Aussie now his pockets are well and truly lined ... Hypocritical I would have thought ..Dave

Memory sticks don't taste too good.

The problem for new political parties is finding a base that they can grow off. This is the problem Clive suffered from he was appealing to coalition voters, then he voted with the government and that was the start of the end.

• Agree 1

Isn't this the same bloke who made his millions buying and selling cheap Asian imported electronics to us all , and now urges us all to buy Aussie now his pockets are well and truly lined ... Hypocritical I would have thought ..Dave

The way I see it, Dick Smith, didn`t make his millions buying and selling cheap Asian imported electronics to "us", at all! Originally he made his millions, when, in 1982 he sold his business to Woolworths for $22 million. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Smith_%28entrepreneur%29 in any case, that was a long time ago and I don`t think there were many electronic products manufactured in this country.

Let`s be fair about it! Dick Smith Electronics, has survived to this day and many people`s employment depends on it. Don`t like importing cheap Asian, or, anyone elese`s, electronics, then manufacture them in this country and see how long you will survive.

Frank.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Another minor party to content with at the polls after the demise of One Nation and the Palmer Party...he will have some good ideas and he will have his followers but in the end it will be the normal winners and losers from the 2 major parties...all these minor parties do is clog the works in getting legislation through the parliament and give us minority governments which are as useful as...well you guys now what...nothing more...

David

• Agree 1

Dick Smith is absolutely right about the stupidity of continued growth - I thoroughly recommend his book "Population Crisis" which I bought at Melbourne Airport a year or so ago and had finished reading by the time we landed.

ISBN 978-1-74237-657-8

If his party does nothing besides make the major parties think about doing something to curtail population growth then it will have achieved something...

• Agree 3
  • Winner 1