Important Site Announcement

Admin

Hi All

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all site users of their continual support of Recreational Flying .com, you all have made this site an extremely valuable resource for everyone in the recreational aviation community.

It is now time for me to focus on other things and thus take a step back from here. So with this in mind, and in keeping with the spirit of being a valuable community, I would like to form a Recreational Flying .com governing body. This body will form a type of member board who would like to help the whole recreational aviation community in the running of this site/resource. I think a group of 5 respected individuals/contributors will bring a new focus for the site and drive it to even greater heights than it already is. These 5 board members will control/enhance the site for the benefit of all and whose placement will be through a user voting system. Once the board is established they will look at ways to enhance the site, find ways to generate income to fuel the site's growth, explore extra functional services that the site can offer to all etc...

I will maintain the site's development to the boards requested enhancements plus the administration of the server. Also I need to maintain an overall veto otherwise we could end up with a cohesion of ulterior motives in the site's existence...imagine getting a board with an agenda to just close the site or make it a personal advertising place for one specific aircraft.

This is of course only if there is enough interested individuals out there who would be interested in being a contributing part in the direction and future success of Recreational Flying.com. If you are interested please put your hand up in this thread and after a couple of weeks, if there is enough hands, we can hold an election.

Also part 2...

I will be focusing on further developing the Whats Up Australia site. Any developments in that site can also be included here if the board wishes. I have started from scratch and you can see it being developed, add your suggestions, comments etc plus even test it out as each part is developed. It is still very buggy and there is a lot of work to do but through your help it will end up what YOU want. You can find this at www.jackaroo.com.au so jump over there and register and keep going back there adding your thoughts to the development so it ends up exactly the way you want it to be...it's all up to you and YOU have the say so please, please take an interest in it so we can all hit the nail on the head perfectly...thanks for your time.

• Agree 1

Hi Ian,

I would like to help out if I can, qualifications thus far

Team Leader - Logistics

Student Pilot - RAAus

Owner of Virtual Airline & Part Time Website Coder

Mad on all things Aviation

Brent

• Like 1

Ian, you have been doing a fantastic job running your site but I understand your need for respite/help/change of scenery etc. I just hope that in taking on others to form a 'board' will not end up in the chaos that RA.Aus has been in recent years.

• Like 1

Deskpilot,

I hear you loud & clear. Being an American & accustomed to what was formerly a great system (take your pick) then relinquishing it to a board, a commission (take your pick) will rapidly turn that great system into a bureaucratic boondoggle of mountainous proportions. What was formerly simple will now be a screwed up nightmare!

That said, it's his site. But we're headed for trouble. This is the best & most helpful site I've ever experienced.

Ian, you have been doing a fantastic job running your site but I understand your need for respite/help/change of scenery etc. I just hope that in taking on others to form a 'board' will not end up in the chaos that RA.Aus has been in recent years.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Helpful 1

Whatever transpires from necessary forthcoming changes, we are so damn lucky to have had this wonderful site at our disposal for so many years.

We have gained knowledge and mate-ship with others through the sharing of information, mainly as a result of the hard work by one man for which we are all very grateful.

Thanks Ian:clap:011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif

I'm sure whoever is interested enough to be involved in running this site, will have one intention in mind, and that is to aim to keep it in the same high standard that you have set, to be a valuable source of information to be enjoyed by all.072_teacher.gif.7912536ad0b89695f6408008328df571.gif

Kind Regards

Planey

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Ok, I have had only 3 people put their hands up to run the site, plus the moderators have all said they would like to stay as moderators.

Is 3 enough? Is there any one else who would like to help out this great recreational aviation community?

This thread reminds me of the common Biblical misquote "God so loved the world he did NOT send a committee". In the real world, trying to control a bunch of egotistical aviators who haven't yet realised that the best ground transport is a Land Rover must be very tiring, and I am very appreciative of the efforts of Ian in running the forum so far.

No matter who is at the top, the members will make it work, so I feel if we all keep doing what we are doing now, we will still have the best Aviation forum on the net.

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...