Trump wanted his personal pilot to head FAA

13 hours ago, Steve L said:

Especially in the USA 

I don't think US citizens have a monopoly on all that. 

After all, the great British public delivered Boris and his Brexit. And, meanwhile, back home in enlightened Australia, QAnon cultists get a key "Great Awakening" message inserted into a Prime Minister's speech.

Incredible but true.

(As laid out by Four Corners last night)

https://iview.abc.net.au/video/NC2103H019S00 

Edited by Garfly
  • Informative 1

22 minutes ago, Garfly said:

I don't think US citizens have a monopoly on all that. 

After all, the great British public delivered Boris and his Brexit. And, meanwhile, back home in enlightened Australia, QAnon cultists get a key "Great Awakening" message inserted into a Prime Minister's speech.

Incredible but true.

(As shown by Four Corners last night)

https://iview.abc.net.au/video/NC2103H019S00 

It’s on the ABC, so it must be true...

Smarter to play the ball than the man, FB.

So please explain where and how the reporting might have been wrong,

Edited by Garfly

22 hours ago, RFguy said:

...Trump's example sent democratic societies and institutions back world wide . Disgusting.   Long term damage to life and the free world  as we know it...

???

What “democratic societies” and “institutions” did Trump affect ?

🤔

16 minutes ago, Garfly said:

Smarter to play the ball than the man, FB.

So please explain where and how the reporting might have been wrong,

“Smarter to play the ball”.... So, yer saying it is stupidity to “play the man”... ?..🤔

As to the ‘reporting’ - it no work on me computer.

Edited by Flying Binghi

23 hours ago, octave said:

5 people died including a policeman who was struck in the head with a fire extinguisher.     The heart of government was stormed and the democratic process was temporally impeded.    

How goes the back-up for these claims ?

The “fire extinguisher” death has already been debunked. Who, what, where were the other claimed deaths ?

Whether or not their deaths were a direct cause or a secondary cause (some of the 5 suffered heart attacks)   you surely don't support the violence do you?  There is certainly enough footage people being beaten with flag poles etc.

You seem to question whether it constituted a storming.   There is plenty of footage of windows being smashed and the idiots climbing though.    If you think that event was justified then we probably have nothing more to discuss.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Flying Binghi said:

“Smarter to play the ball”.... So, yer saying it is stupidity to “play the man”... ?..🤔

As to the ‘reporting’ - it no work on me computer.

Yeah, FB, in Trump's case, 'the ball' would be the sum total of what he's said and done over the past four years (and before).  And in the ABC's case - 'the man' - just because you don't like its 'progressivist' bias doesn't mean you should dismiss everything it says as false. 

And in this case, I don't think anyone is really disputing the facts about how that particular phrase ('ritual abuse') became inserted into Scomo's speech.  Anyway, see the show if you can and see what you think.

In any case, it must be said you have a good deal of pluck and spirit to stand up alone to a swarm of small 'L' liberal 'lefties'.   Your wingmen seem to have left you to it.   LOL   ;- )

All the best!

dont respond to him (Bingi) 

You don't need to be a Lefty to dislike Trump.

I have written to the moderator suggesting this topic be off limits.

best resolved in a bar with fists.  not here on RecFly.

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, RFguy said:

dont respond to him (Bingi) 

You don't need to be a Lefty to dislike Trump.

I have written to the moderator suggesting this topic be off limits.

best resolved in a bar with fists.  not here on RecFly.

I take it then that you wont be answering the question I put to you earlier ?

“...What “democratic societies” and “institutions” did Trump affect ?...”

Looks like yet another ‘claim’ can be listed as debunked.

Moving on...

Trump is the master of the "corrosive falsehood", which he continues to promote, even after he has left the White House.

His disingenuous lies, constantly repeated, have seen him banned from the largest social media sites - including the one he loved most, Twitter.

If that's not a sign that a very large number of important people and leading lights of the media believe that Trump is a danger to democracy with his lying and abusive behaviour, then I don't know what is.

https://theconversation.com/trumps-lies-about-the-election-show-how-disinformation-erodes-democracy-150603

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Garfly said:

Yeah, FB, in Trump's case, 'the ball' would be the sum total of what he's said and done over the past four years (and before).  And in the ABC's case - 'the man' - just because you don't like its 'progressivist' bias doesn't mean you should dismiss everything it says as false. 

And in this case, I don't think anyone is really disputing the facts about how that particular phrase ('ritual abuse') became inserted into Scomo's speech.  Anyway, see the show if you can and see what you think.

In any case, it must be said you have a good deal of pluck and spirit to stand up alone to a swarm of small 'L' liberal 'lefties'.   Your wingmen seem to have left you to it.   LOL   ;- )

All the best!

I’ve found the 4 corners report on youtube. Will have a look-see tonight.

The brief consideration I’ve given to Qanon in the past I just thought of it as a ‘false flag’ thingy and never given it any credibility. We’ll see if the 4 corners programme can offer any insight.

As to my “wingmen”, I were unaware I had any wingmen ?

1 hour ago, Flying Binghi said:

I’ve found the 4 corners report on youtube. Will have a look-see tonight.

The brief consideration I’ve given to Qanon in the past I just thought of it as a ‘false flag’ thingy and never given it any credibility. We’ll see if the 4 corners programme can offer any insight.

As to my “wingmen”, I were unaware I had any wingmen ?

Okay, you're a lone-wolf then. Anyway, I don't, personally, believe that you're just trolling the rest of us.

16 minutes ago, Flying Binghi said:

“...What “democratic societies” and “institutions” did Trump affect ?...”

As to your question to RFG  (I doubt he'll respond himself ;- ) I'll try to have a go from my own perspective.

A lot of good and smart people really do fear that Trump's dictatorial tendencies (for example: using government machinery to enrich himself and to chase down his political enemies and then simply refusing to accept electoral defeat) have seriously damaged the idea of America as a beacon of democracy in the world.  (Not to be too naive about it, but then, not too cynical either.)

Many people - from all sides of normal politics - believe he has had a negative effect on the institution of democracy itself - within the US (for example, meddling in the workings of the Department of Justice to suit his own personal interests etc. etc.).  And then, off-shore, there are several democratic societies around the world right now that are very much on the brink of reverting to old style facism. (One man - one party rule.)

Right or wrong, a lot of knowledgeable observers say that Trump has had a very dangerous effect by encouraging those other would-be dictators all over the globe. (Trump would not have been likely to call out the excesses of (fellow) dictators. In fact he even encouraged Xi Jinping when he declared himself 'leader for life'.  So much for 'standing up to China').

In my view, this opinion piece by Madelaine Albright, US Secretary of State between 1997 and 2001 puts that argument pretty well and succinctly - and she could hardly be called a 'lefty'.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/06/opinion/sunday/trump-fascism-madeleine-albright.html

Here are a few key excerpts:

"On April 28, 1945 — 73 years ago — Italians hung the corpse of their former dictator Benito Mussolini upside down next to a gas station in Milan. Two days later, Adolf Hitler committed suicide in his bunker beneath the streets of war-ravaged Berlin. Fascism, it appeared, was dead. //

"We may be encouraged that most people in most countries still want to live freely and in peace, but there is no ignoring the storm clouds that have gathered. In fact, fascism — and the tendencies that lead toward fascism — pose a more serious threat now than at any time since the end of World War II.//

"Warning signs include the relentless grab for more authority by governing parties in Hungary, the Philippines, Poland and Turkey — all United States allies. The raw anger that feeds fascism is evident across the Atlantic in the growth of nativist movements opposed to the idea of a united Europe, including in Germany, where the right-wing Alternative für Deutschland has emerged as the principal opposition party. The danger of despotism is on display in the Russia of Vladimir Putin — invader of Ukraine, meddler in foreign democracies, accused political assassin, brazen liar and proud son of the K.G.B. Putin has just been re-elected to a new six-year term, while in Venezuela, Nicolás Maduro, a ruthless ideologue, is poised to triumph in sham balloting next month. In China, Xi Jinping has persuaded a docile National People’s Congress to lift the constitutional limit on his tenure in power. //

"Meanwhile, the possibility that fascism will be accorded a fresh chance to strut around the world stage is enhanced by the volatile presidency of Donald Trump.

If freedom is to prevail over the many challenges to it, American leadership is urgently required. This was among the indelible lessons of the 20th century. But by what he has said, done and failed to do, Mr. Trump has steadily diminished America’s positive clout in global councils.

• Like 2

Guys. I really don't see this discussion continuing on the subject of aviation and I don't think it is going to end well...so I think I should close the topic but I will just see in the very very short term if I am incorrect...thanks for your views and contributions

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Yes, Ian, while the discussion has never been really on-topic, I think we're working our way towards a respectful exchange of views.  After all, none of us here is an aviator purely and simply; we're all a bit weird in our own way.   ;- )

Cheers, gary

20 hours ago, Admin said:

Guys. I really don't see this discussion continuing on the subject of aviation and I don't think it is going to end well...so I think I should close the topic but I will just see in the very very short term if I am incorrect...thanks for your views and contributions

Admin seems happy. So, onwards...

🙂

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Garfly said:

Okay, you're a lone-wolf then. Anyway, I don't, personally, believe that you're just trolling the rest of us.

As to your question to RFG  (I doubt he'll respond himself ;- ) I'll try to have a go from my own perspective.

A lot of good and smart people really do fear that Trump's dictatorial tendencies (for example: using government machinery to enrich himself and to chase down his political enemies and then simply refusing to accept electoral defeat) have seriously damaged the idea of America as a beacon of democracy in the world.  (Not to be too naive about it, but then, not too cynical either.)

Many people - from all sides of normal politics - believe he has had a negative effect on the institution of democracy itself - within the US (for example, meddling in the workings of the Department of Justice to suit his own personal interests etc. etc.).  And then, off-shore, there are several democratic societies around the world right now that are very much on the brink of reverting to old style facism. (One man - one party rule.)

Right or wrong, a lot of knowledgeable observers say that Trump has had a very dangerous effect by encouraging those other would-be dictators all over the globe. (Trump would not have been likely to call out the excesses of (fellow) dictators. In fact he even encouraged Xi Jinping when he declared himself 'leader for life'.  So much for 'standing up to China').

In my view, this opinion piece by Madelaine Albright, US Secretary of State between 1997 and 2001 puts that argument pretty well and succinctly - and she could hardly be called a 'lefty'.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/06/opinion/sunday/trump-fascism-madeleine-albright.html

Here are a few key excerpts:

"On April 28, 1945 — 73 years ago — Italians hung the corpse of their former dictator Benito Mussolini upside down next to a gas station in Milan. Two days later, Adolf Hitler committed suicide in his bunker beneath the streets of war-ravaged Berlin. Fascism, it appeared, was dead. //

"We may be encouraged that most people in most countries still want to live freely and in peace, but there is no ignoring the storm clouds that have gathered. In fact, fascism — and the tendencies that lead toward fascism — pose a more serious threat now than at any time since the end of World War II.//

"Warning signs include the relentless grab for more authority by governing parties in Hungary, the Philippines, Poland and Turkey — all United States allies. The raw anger that feeds fascism is evident across the Atlantic in the growth of nativist movements opposed to the idea of a united Europe, including in Germany, where the right-wing Alternative für Deutschland has emerged as the principal opposition party. The danger of despotism is on display in the Russia of Vladimir Putin — invader of Ukraine, meddler in foreign democracies, accused political assassin, brazen liar and proud son of the K.G.B. Putin has just been re-elected to a new six-year term, while in Venezuela, Nicolás Maduro, a ruthless ideologue, is poised to triumph in sham balloting next month. In China, Xi Jinping has persuaded a docile National People’s Congress to lift the constitutional limit on his tenure in power. //

"Meanwhile, the possibility that fascism will be accorded a fresh chance to strut around the world stage is enhanced by the volatile presidency of Donald Trump.

If freedom is to prevail over the many challenges to it, American leadership is urgently required. This was among the indelible lessons of the 20th century. But by what he has said, done and failed to do, Mr. Trump has steadily diminished America’s positive clout in global councils.

I’m still dwelling on the Qanon video so will not comment yet. 

As to using Albright as any sort of ‘character reference’...

“...Juila Gillard, as PM,  had already tipped in $22m to GPE in 2010-11 and followed up in late 2011 with a gargantuan $270m four year pledge. This pledge dwarfed those from a host of comparable Western donors, combined. GPE’s grateful CEO Alice Albright, daughter of President Bill Clinton’s Secretary of State Madeleine Albright (1997-01), successfully lobbied for Gillard as honorary  chair of GPE in late 2013...”

https://quadrant.org.au/opinion/qed/2016/07/gillard/

I am happy to engage with you in the off topic forum.  You surely must be aware that this is a flying forum and that through past experience you are surely aware that many members do not want to talk politics here, out of respect for them why not continue in the appropriate forum.   Your post above is purely political and doesn't even relate even in a vague way to the original subject.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1