Light aircraft crash, S.A. Riverland

The ABC is reporting a light aircraft has crashed into a vineyard, near a dam, at Renmark North, in S.A.'s Riverland.

The pilot has survived with serious injuries, and is currently being transferred to Berri Hospital, where a MedStar chopper is apparently going to transfer him to Adelaide.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-16/pilot-injured-in-light-plane-crash-in-south-australia/11711534

https://www.police.sa.gov.au/sa-police-news-assets/front-page-news/plane-crash-at-renmark-north#.Xc_QItIzaUk

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turbo, are you sure with your information, as to the aircraft being a C441?

Surely a C441 down, would be starting to appear everywhere in the news, by now? You're not getting mixed up with the Rossair crash?

The SAPOL have not modified their information, they are stating an RA-Aus investigation. They're the people on the ground.

I can find no C441 flights on any flight tracking history that have ended suddenly around Renmark. Not to say that all C441's are tracked.

Turbo, are you sure with your information, as to the aircraft being a C441?

Surely a C441 down, would be starting to appear everywhere in the news, by now? You're not getting mixed up with the Rossair crash?

The SAPOL have not modified their information, they are stating an RA-Aus investigation. They're the people on the ground.

I can find no C441 flights on any flight tracking history that have ended suddenly around Renmark. Not to say that all C441's are tracked.

You're correct, I pulled up the Rossair Aircraft; sorry about that, it's definitely not XMJ again, so could well be an RAA aircraft.

• Like 1

Thruster, my credibility is suss at the best of times.  :cheezy grin:

I thought there was something wrong with Turbo's info, a 9/10 seater twin down, would be international headlines within a couple of hours.

• Haha 1

The Rego from the photo on the ABC report shows 24-4399. It is a low wing & the Rotax engine has been torn off & sitting beside whats left of the airframe. The pilot was extremely lucky to have survived & probably only did so because the airframe absorbed most of the impact

Deskpilot, no-one produced any photos of the aircraft, or further information on the crash, until this morning.

Turbo was right on one aspect, he certainly made a right mess of it, it's only fit for scrap now. I trust the pilot makes a full recovery, he's apparently still in a bad way.

This 2004 model Evektor was for sale in 2013, it had done 3300 hours TT, back then. See page 53 in the link below.

https://www.raa.asn.au/storage/sport-pilot-23-may-2013.pdf

Evektor.jpg.b438f1621b0d05cabdbefd05fd9dd483.jpg

Hit power lines and then careened into a vineyard complete with trellised vines. Hope he makes a full recovery. I think that light aircraft and movie cameras are more dangerous mix than mobile phones and young (female) drivers.

If it is a Sportstar, thank goodness it's mostly metal. 

If if my roofing plumber is anything to go by, people will be finding bits of the frame in the soil for years ... now imagine if that was a pile of carbon fibre

Bob Gelston, who lives on a nearby property, said Mr Whitrow was flying quite low earlier in the day, "like he was skimming the trees".

And he's supposed to be an "experienced pilot"? Sounds to me, like he needs to go sit his exams again.

• Agree 2

Have been waiting for this day to come, I and others chipped him on his flying antics only to be told we don’t know what we are taking about, tried to tell him his continual risk taking will catch up to him and yesterday it did.

He was even reported to the RAA a couple of years ago about his flying but I don’t think they did anything about it.

All will say is I am glad he is alive and he didn’t have a passenger, and for the life of me don’t ask me how he is after seeing the wreckage.

Hate to say it but who was right mr pilot?, tried telling you, maybe if you ever fly again you might just realise you are not a good as you thought you were and it was only a matter of time.

Hope you recover fully and give the flying game away or drastically change your behaviour.

Harsh some of you may think, but he was warned by many including me which fell on deaf ears.

Let us all learn once again from another accident that should not have happened.

Alf

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Informative 2
  • Winner 2

Oh well, we'll get up in the morning and go about our lives as normal but this dude will probably never fly again, maybe never do anything again without a limp, a bib or a napkin and all because of one dumb mistake. Think hard folks, DON'T decide a low, fast beat-up over the homestead is okay. DON"T think a wing-over is cool to impress your friends. You have already impressed them by having a pilot licence. Bogan attitudes won't do any of us in recreational aviation any good. Stay safe...

• Like 4
  • Agree 4