Jump to content

Pilot and passengers arrested, Coober Pedy


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, onetrack said:

...One thing's for sure - the city hotel quarantine accommodation has been a total disaster, every second case of COVID-19 was acquired whilst in quarantine.

Hotel air conditioning systems were never designed to isolate individual rooms. They would most likely spread the new, more contageous variants like wildfire.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What I can't understand is why they are so bad at the quarantine stuff. In the olden days, they used islands...  today they fly people in from india and give them only 14 days in a cbd hotel!. No wond

Death % not just actual number has more relevance, Some survivors are not in particularly good shape. There could also be some far reaching genetic modifications as well, there's a lot we don't yet kn

Just what we need, people seeing us as privileged a$#holes with transport that can cross borders when restricted says a lot for the pilots regard for rules. Hope the public don’t lump all of us

Posted Images

20 hours ago, onetrack said:

Sweden has had 14,588 deaths (as of today) from COVID-19, with a population of 10,161,000.

 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Yow! jumped quite a bit from when I last looked at the figures. 
so basically if you run the deaths per population and compare  Sweden to Australia they had 37.5 times the death rate of Australia. Pretty scary way to work out the herd immunity by natural infection isn’t a good approach. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FlyBoy1960 said:

Sweden = cold.  More people inside = more spreading   Just guessing

Excess infection and death rate continued across summer and winter. Other Scandinavian countries are same cold but their death rate was 3-8 times less. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

C-19 performance by Country, deaths per 100,000 people (worst at top) as at 29/6/21

 

C-19.pdf

Edited by turboplanner
  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

China's figures for COVID-19 deaths have to be suspect, surely? It's the place where it started, and they refused to even acknowledge it existed, for at least 3 months??

 

In late 2019, the Chinese Govt claimed reports of a highly contagious disease spreading rapidly were mischievious, and even jailed the doctor responsible for sounding the alarm.

 

COVID-19 was developing in China in October 2019, and now the experts are saying it was probably in existence before that date.

 

And so many of those 3rd world countries figures must also be highly suss.

 

These places have poor reporting and recording abilities, and people just die by the hundreds, without them even being examined, or the reasons that they died, being officially recorded. 

 

Edited by onetrack
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, onetrack said:

China's figures for COVID-19 deaths have to be suspect, surely? It's the place where it started, and they refused to even acknowledge it existed, for at least 3 months??

 

In late 2019, the Chinese Govt claimed reports of a highly contagious disease spreading rapidly were mischievious, and even jailed the doctor responsible for sounding the alarm.

 

COVID-19 was developing in China in October 2019, and now the experts are saying it was probably in existence before that date.

 

And so many of those 3rd world countries figures must also be highly suss.

 

These places have poor reporting and recording abilities, and people just die by the hundreds, without them even being examined, or the reasons that they died, being officially recorded. 

 

Yep. Figures in most developing countries are suspect. Reporting, diagnosis and cause of deaths are mostly inaccurate. 
China is an odd one to know how true it’s figures are. 
It’s highly likely they are purposely  underreported for political reasons rather than true diagnostic reporting issues.  
 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this “thread drift” or “thread broadside” 😂

 

Anyone got an update on what happened to those arrested & giving aviation a bad name? 

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The three were charged with breaching S.A.'s Emergency Management Act, appeared in court, were released on $500 bail each, and kicked out of S.A.

 

They flew back to Broken Hill, and claimed they didn't think they did anything wrong. Just "didn't think", is probably more like what applies to them.

 

They tried to land at Uluru after leaving Coober Pedy, and were refused disembarkation, so they flew back to Coober Pedy.

 

People who came into contact with them had to self-isolate. A pretty thoughtless and self-absorbed trio, all round. But that's pretty common with the "selfie set".

 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-28/nsw-trio-order-to-leave-sa-after-alleged-border-breach-in-plane/100248524

 

  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is easy to criticise the Chinese for keeping information about Covid under wraps for so long. They have been invaded numerous times from the Mongols in the 13th Century, Europeans during the Opium wars, Japan and Russia and since the cultural revolution have kept a pretty tight reign on their population. They have to with 1.4 billion people. Western style democracy would never work as there would be divisions and factions involving millions so they'd constantly be at war with themselves.

 

Say what you like about Xi Jinping and the 1 party authoritarian state but China is set to overtake the US as the biggest economy the world has ever seen, their people are no longer living in poverty with a massive middle class & numerous super rich. If they didn't impose the controls they have China would still be a 3rd world state.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kgwilson said:

…Say what you like about Xi Jinping and the 1 party authoritarian state but China is set to overtake the US as the biggest economy the world has ever seen, their people are no longer living in poverty with a massive middle class & numerous super rich.

Perhaps. I totally agree about the historic context, but lets not forget the complete stuff-ups by the communists which led to tens of millions dying in famines. 

 

1 hour ago, kgwilson said:

If they didn't impose the controls they have China would still be a 3rd world state.

I’m sure that without a strong central government there would have been great turmoil and loss of life, but also great innovation and enterprise- in both of which The Middle Kingdom has led the world. 

 

To see what China might have become without a communist government, just look across the water at little Taiwan; 25 million people who rapidly built an economic and technological powerhouse while the mainland communists wasted decades with ideaologically-driven economic disasters.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The cultural revolution with Chairman Mao & the little red book did little but ensure the Communist party retained and tightened control of the population with oppression and economic failures. Once achieved however they could set about the task of modernisation, ditching the Maoist doctrines in favour of a 1 party state controlled economic expansion program allowing wealth accumulation by those with innovative nous and supporting start up companies. Support by the Chinese government to companies such as Huawei (& the unproven & unsubstantiated claims of political espionage) is why Australia has banned the use of any Huawei hardware/software in the 5G rollout.

 

This is normal throughout the world where governments subsidise industries to gain international market share. The only difference is Morrison & Cos perception of China. The Taiwan success was easy with huge US support & a small population.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kgwilson said:

It is easy to criticise the Chinese for keeping information about Covid under wraps for so long. They have been invaded numerous times from the Mongols in the 13th Century, Europeans during the Opium wars, Japan and Russia and since the cultural revolution have kept a pretty tight reign on their population. They have to with 1.4 billion people. Western style democracy would never work as there would be divisions and factions involving millions so they'd constantly be at war with themselves.

 

Say what you like about Xi Jinping and the 1 party authoritarian state but China is set to overtake the US as the biggest economy the world has ever seen, their people are no longer living in poverty with a massive middle class & numerous super rich. If they didn't impose the controls they have China would still be a 3rd world state.

Just wait…..until the great China Famine strikes…….

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why

Will we stop exporting grain to them,! If they run out of bread.

As the rich French said " let them eat cake  ".

spacesailor

  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We won’t have spare grain to help them…….

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jackc said:

We won’t have spare grain to help them…….

Not sure about that jack, the season is off to a very good start on both the east and west coast grain growing areas with a few small exceptions.  Grain prices are very good atm so global supply/ demand must be a little tight. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

No fear of any grain export shortage here in the West. We are well on track to exceed 20M+ tonnes of total grain production for W.A. this season, on top of the record 18M tonne harvest, last season.

I have not seen seasons like last year and this year, since the 1960's boom wet years. We are going to run out of grain storage ability unless the shipping rate is increased and also kept up until the end of the calendar year.

Even as it is now, we already have large overflow grain storage areas at receival points that are nothing more than grain stored on asphalt and covered with heavy tarps. We'll be running out of room there, too.

Fortunately for Australia, a lot of America is in bad drought, and quite a few European grain producing nations are also struggling with poor seasons. 

  • Like 3
  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Update on the boaties (going to Queensland from NSW  )

They were found guilty of Lying to the tracers, 

And fined $ 4,000.

GOOD

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Correction applied
  • Winner 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It should've been a $40,000 fine for each of that mob. They're probably laughing at a piddly $4000 fine, it's only small change to people who hire boats that cost $18,000 a day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did mistakenly put $ 40,000, but it came on the telly as only $ 4,000.

Pitance as you say. 

spacesailor

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/07/2021 at 4:13 PM, jackc said:

We won’t have spare grain to help them…….

With a systematically disarmed population sparely distributed, and an underfunded defence force we will be powerless to stop them stepping off from their string of Pacific naval bases and taking what we have!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rankamateur said:

With a systematically disarmed population sparely distributed, and an underfunded defence force we will be powerless to stop them stepping off from their string of Pacific naval bases and taking what we have!

I estimate the conventionally disarmed population have gotten very creative in recent times to offset their lack of lead pill dispensers:-) 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The enimy will have guns,grenades,  and bayonets.

We cannot have a knife,  crossbow  or even a slingshot to defend ourselves with.

BUT 

Nitroglycerin is easy to make, with only three ingredients.

Same number as blackgun powder.

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Missed word
Link to post
Share on other sites

People seem to have forgotten that China, Was our ally ,  and when the Americans first bombed Japan, they flew to China.

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Spelling
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...