Survival gear

Just wondering what other plane drivers out there keep permanently in their planes by way of survival gear? 
Apart from a bottle of engine oil I carry basic stuff in all my machines, first-aid kit being the main one, water, waterproof matches, space blanket, sun cream, mirror (for keeping up appearances) torch (inc spare batts)small  blow up pillow, basic tools, multi function knife and duct tape. I add additional stuff if going further afield.

Edited by Flightrite
  • Like 2

No superglue? How could you forget one of lifes basic requirements?

Clear plastic bags to harvest water from the leaves of shrubs and bushes have to be a good investment, if you're heading into remote terrain.

You can always guarantee the one item you forgot, is the one you really need, when the chips are down.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

50 minutes ago, onetrack said:

You can always guarantee the one item you forgot, is the one you really need, when the chips are down.

Chups?

Is this fush and chups or potato chups??

• Haha 1

A compact disc makes an excellent signalling mirror- you can look thru the centre hole to aim it.

I also carry a few mizzo soup packets and a hiker’s stove, which can run on petrol.

A couple of big orange garbage bags- very visible and can keep you warm and dry.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Some good suggestions there, as mentioned I take  more if I’m going further afield, but what I listed above is permanent in my flying machines, even if I’m in the circuit👍Tie downs should be a Std in every A/C anyway.

superglue might be a good idea, kinda like a suture in a tube👍

Permanently in the aircraft is only my Rescue Swag first aid kit. That's clipped to two eye-bolts on the baggage bulkhead and is only ever removed for the annual, or to put something bulky in the baggage area.

But if I'm going anywhere beyond the circuit, even just an after-school local scenic with Mini-Me, I wear my survival vest, that's loaded with similar goodies to what you've listed.

33 minutes ago, KRviator said:

…I wear my survival vest, that's loaded with similar goodies to what you've listed.

Not necessarily a great idea, KR. If you have to clamber out of a mangled cockpit, cargo pockets might tangle on debris and hinder your escape.  I like wearing work clothes with lots of pockets, but a couple ot times when wriggling thru tight spots the damned pockets have caught in stuff- being workwear, you Can’t Tear ‘em loose!

I like to wear elastic-side boots so I can easily slip my feet out of them if trapped.

Interesting point’s there Old K. Attire is something else to consider when flying, especially over various terrains. 
I guess we each have our own ideas as to what constitutes ‘survival’ should you come down. From a simple mechanical fault leaving you stranded away from home inconvenienced but intact, to a crash in a semi remote area injured and wishing you where better equiped. I probably do carry around too much stuff but then again I’ve always subscribed to that saying……..chance favours the prepared mind👍

• Like 1

I saw no-one mention a PLB? That'd have to be a very important item to carry, so you can get help coming fast - rather than lying there wondering when they were going to start missing you?

• Like 1

A PLB is a given (for me) it’s kept in my flight bag that goes everywhere with me from machine to machine👍

Its a good point though, wonder how many out there have their own?

Edited by Flightrite
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

There is an exceptionally good thread on survival equipment on this site. A lot of people put a lot of time into it, and some great ideas were just made better and better.

Finding that priceless resource is another matter.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Your PLB is number 1. I have a Spot Tracker which tracks my path & is also a PLB. It sits on top of the panel & if the noise stops I can put it in my pocket in a few seconds. All the rest of the stuff assumes you will be waiting for a long time if you survive. Water is the most important second item. Then if you have survived & activated your PLB you can sit under whatever shade that is available & wait for the rescue. I can then send messages from my Spot via satellite to my chosen contacts to say I am alive & waiting. If emergency services are a bit slow my contacts can put on the pressure.

• Like 4

The CL604 Challenger cruises at 870kmh/469kts, which is Mach 0.7. I can understand why the AMSA Challengers only get limited use, they're really only suited for long range ocean SAR duty.

But if I was floating in my lifejacket 2500kms W of the W.A. coastline, I'd be very pleased to sight an AMSA Challenger! 

I can't imagine they'd get much use within continental Australia. There's never been a commercial jet forced down in the Gibson Desert - but I guess it does play to plan for it!

I can remember speaking to a rescue bloke many years ago, and he said the thought that gives them the heebie-jeebies, is a commercial jet going down in the heavy scrubland N and W of Israelite Bay.

As this area is on the regular flight paths of the East-West commercial flights, and the area has virtually no decent ground access, access to any crash site out there would be very dependent on choppers.

Edited by onetrack

I thought a PLB or better was a requirement for all except a single seat plane and that is including RAAus planes. A PLB is good for a single seater too but not mandatory. Water is just about essential in all but mid winter conditiions.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Yenn said:

I thought a PLB or better was a requirement for all except a single seat plane and that is including RAAus planes. A PLB is good for a single seater too but not mandatory. Water is just about essential in all but mid winter conditiions.

for over water I'd upspec to an EPIRB.

I'm still building my plane but as I think of things I add it to the list. Eventually I'll gather everything together, weigh the whole lot and then start to make some hard decisions.

The latest thing I've thought of is basics to repair a tube. My plane hasn't even taxiied yet and it got a flat tyre! So I took note of the minimum required to fix a tube. That's because I'm hoping eventually to be doing a lot of bush flying and it would really suck to be stranded somewhere because of s flat tyre. 

Survival gear and repair gear are two different things, of course. I am very happy for both things to be discussed in the same thread. The only repair-ish things I carry are Leatherman multitool, small shifting spanner, type pressure gauge, small right-angle extension so I can get to the valve stem when inflating, tyre inflation air and puncture repair goo in an aerosol can, 2 m tape measure, tie down ropes, ground anchors, drill bit to get the ground anchors in, ratchet to rotate ground anchors, 1 L oil, duct tape (for fabric control surfaces), some weird tape that sticks to itself (very light), cord, fuses, and microfibre cloth for the windscreen. Disclaimer: I have only 185 hrs and would probably wreck a tube if I tried to repair it.