Tell us about your last flight

Admin

Last Thursday I enjoyed a spectacular flight along the coast from Port Fairy to Cape Otway. My first time seeing the limestone cliffs of Port Campbell from offshore.

PortCampbell2.jpg.2bf60da72c9b3c1fdf8414a02ff20c51.jpg

PortCampbell1.jpg.234026a73c8ac7e1f65a11371a678b22.jpg

• Like 8
  • Winner 1

I went to Maryborough VIC last weekend to visit the Fisher Museum which is likely to be sold off fairly soon

There were 7 aircraft from Shepparton there and the club put on a really good lunch for us.

John Fisher was killed two years ago in his Tiger Moth when he experienced an engine failure on take-off due float problems. He flew that Tiger from UK to Australia and he died in a turn back attempt.

John's beautiful Fox Moth, Chipmunk and Vampire are still in the museum along with a fascinating collection of photos, uniforms, equipment and books. Really well worth seeing.

The trip back to Shepparton at 5500 was about the roughest I have done since the day I first took delivery of the Auster at Watts Bridge. Big Cu's popping up and huge thermals under them as they worked.

We have had storms in the days since and more are forecast for this weekend so will probably stay in the hangar.

Kaz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I haven't flown for nearly two weeks so I decided to go for a quick flight this afternoon. I discovered something terrible in my preflight............. A spiderweb...... Times are tough 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif so after a windscreen clean, Fuel drain and a thorough daily I took her out for a half hour close to home flight. Storms were building up in the west so I didn't want to stray too far so I just did a few laps around the farm and did half a dozen landings. Wind was 90degrees across my road but only about 5 knots so I did 3 landings each way just for a bit of different crosswind practice (even 2 weeks dulls the senses) once I felt the storms were getting close I put her back in the shed. Storms took another two hours to get here but being in the shed too early hasn't killed anyone yet.

So I got my half hour flight, some good landing practice and some rain how much better can it get than that:thumb up:

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

This morning I managed to sneak a flight in the Sportstar between showers. I taxied out intending to do a few circuits but as I was backtracking a couple of RPTs called inbound ( why do they always arrive & depart in pairs? ). So I departed the circuit and headed out over Curtis Island for some fun. Cloudbase was about 25oo' and solid, so the air was cool and smooth. Once the RPTs were down I rejoined the circuit, did a nice touch and go, another circuit and nailed a full stop.

So what was special about this flight?

I was seen off by my mate and flying instructor Russ, just as 10 years ago today he sent me on my first solo. It was also an anniversary of sorts for Russ as that day 10 years ago I was the first student he sent solo.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Last flight... a beautiful calm sunny day, cleared straight into Harbour Scenic 1 then for decent into Victor 1 south where I followed the coastline down past Sydney and its iconic beaches, Bondi, Coogee, etc., hugged the shoreline around Cronulla then down to the Sea Cliff Bridge before cutting back across the land and back to Bankstown via 2RN. One of the best flights ever in terms of weather and just everything clicking along... perfect takeoff, no hassle with clearances, perfect landing.... in short the kind of day I dreamed about when I first decided I wanted to fly!

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Had a nice flight around Yamba,couple of days ago,lucky enough to find a great bloke with a private strip who allows me to use anytime.The strip is East /West which can be a bit tricky as these things should be head wind only t/off but sugar cane is spongy,ha ha.

336991031_IMG_1976(Copy).JPG.0bc30e85c5cda5f08758f59720b34406.JPG

943480838_IMG_1989(Copy).JPG.cbeaea20c3303005e6beb2f3af60914a.JPG

1186816441_IMG_1965(Copy).JPG.0013ce3eca7d24ff6f08533b76a0e7e4.JPG

• Like 2

Beautiful morning for a Christmas flight, so after opening presents it was time to pull the plane out.

I took my little girl first for about a half hour local flight, we didn't get going till half past 9 so it was already a bit bumpy but still very enjoyable.

Next it was the little boys turn, he has a head cold so we were stuck with doing some high speed taxis. That was enough to keep him happy though.

Lastly Dad came over so we had another half an hour local flying.

As we were coming back the radio came to life with another local having a joy flight in his new Superstol, so as he was out our way anyway he "dropped" in (a very impressive looking bit of gear).

So all in all a very enjoyable aviation morning:thumb up:

• Like 4

Right so haven't posted in this one yet but thought this one worthy.. Was getting ready for a day of beer and feasting when at 0730 the work phone rings, a nun by the name Sister Alma wanting to know if we were flying today because she tried to go to one of the local communities yesterday to do a midnight mass and instead got stuck in the middle of the kimberley for 15hrs on a flooded dirt road.

So not feeling like I could say no to a nun on Christmas I poped into work and pulled out the aircraft, preflighted, and met sister Alma and Father John around 1000. Only about a hundred miles out to the community through a fairly bumpy morning and we arrive. Sister tells me in no uncertainwords that she would like me to join mass.

Well, next thing I know I'm spending Christmas in the middle of no where in a beat up old community with burnt out cars and all the usual stuff in a mass of 50+ aboriginal pepole all getting right into it! Not a bad turn out since the population with everybody at home would only give a hundred a nudge. Well it was quite a surprise, I half figured no one would turn up, instead there were kids everywhere singing along and all age groups having a crack. Now I'm not a religious person but do like a good story and I tell you what, the father and sister brought a massive feast for the locals, ham, fruits and the like and seems to me like the do fair bit down there for the little kids. And after spending so long stranded the day before they wouldn't have been blamed for giving up but nope, they weren't having any of that.

Not how I expected my Christmas day to end up this morning.

Get a few good story's flying planes "out bush"

• Like 6

Had a really nice flight with neighbour's 9 yr old son, who had always wanted to fly. . . . . We cruised around on a crystal clear afternoon at around 3,000 ft, and I allowed the lad to have some "hands on" experience with the controls, which he handled quite well for a first time flyer. ( Experienced on the X-Box no doubt ! ! )

The machine was a fairly old C-150 Aerobat restored to nearly new condx. I have to admit to dropping my guard slightly on the landing approach into a private strip over some trees at a height of around 100 feet ( tree clearance ), when the lad suddenly grabbed the yoke and pulled it back ! ! I was on the problem straight away, and his explanation was that he thought I was going to fly into the tree tops (400 metres prior to the runway ! !) This was totally unexpected, and gave me few seconds of raised adrenaline ! !

The only other thing which marred this flight ( Slightly ) was the sudden appearance of a low wing twin aircraft which approached from our left side, bearing 90 deg to our heading. . . at 3,000 feet and appeared blissfully unaware of our presence, requiring me to increase altitude to maintain a safe margin and keep him in view. . . . . might have been practising instrument flying, . . .? I dunno. The aircraft didn't respond to any calls on the the local airfield freq, nor LonInfo either. . . . .

Nice flight overall, but just goes to show that you really DO need to expect the unexpected ALL OF THE TIME; both inside AND outside of your aeroplane . . . ! !

Phil.

• Like 2

Right so haven't posted in this one yet but thought this one worthy.. Was getting ready for a day of beer and feasting when at 0730 the work phone rings, a nun by the name Sister Alma wanting to know if we were flying today because she tried to go to one of the local communities yesterday to do a midnight mass and instead got stuck in the middle of the kimberley for 15hrs on a flooded dirt road.So not feeling like I could say no to a nun on Christmas I poped into work and pulled out the aircraft, preflighted, and met sister Alma and Father John around 1000. Only about a hundred miles out to the community through a fairly bumpy morning and we arrive. Sister tells me in no uncertainwords that she would like me to join mass.

Well, next thing I know I'm spending Christmas in the middle of no where in a beat up old community with burnt out cars and all the usual stuff in a mass of 50+ aboriginal pepole all getting right into it! Not a bad turn out since the population with everybody at home would only give a hundred a nudge. Well it was quite a surprise, I half figured no one would turn up, instead there were kids everywhere singing along and all age groups having a crack. Now I'm not a religious person but do like a good story and I tell you what, the father and sister brought a massive feast for the locals, ham, fruits and the like and seems to me like the do fair bit down there for the little kids. And after spending so long stranded the day before they wouldn't have been blamed for giving up but nope, they weren't having any of that.

Not how I expected my Christmas day to end up this morning.

Get a few good story's flying planes "out bush"

I wonder why god didn't part the water on the flooded road so old love good get through, instead of her being stuck for 15 hours. Bad god.

• Haha 2

...As we were coming back the radio came to life with another local having a joy flight in his new Superstol, so as he was out our way anyway he "dropped" in (a very impressive looking bit of gear).

...I presume you're talking about the new Highlander, so "dropped in" is apt. Plenty on this forum would be interested in a comparison with the Hornet. Over to you and the Brat...

I wonder why god didn't part the water on the flooded road so old love good get through, instead of her being stuck for 15 hours. Bad god.

I like to think he guided her through bad experience to learn that they are better off to fly with us! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif Don't think they will be driving any time soon.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

image.jpg.9ff94496b64a20e4b244a039b91ac797.jpg

Had Jason and Tracey drop into Montpelier in their yellow Xair last weekend . After a chat we decided to fly over to nearby Donnington Airpark for further visits with local flyers.

My first attempt to sit beside the Xair with first notch of flaps in the Lightwing was a miserable failure, as I cruised by with about 10 kts too much speed !......

Second try with two notches and a lot less power was more successfull and we spent so e quality time cruising together with Tracey getting some video.

After a nice landing at Donnington got pressed into service as a Level 2 checking W&B figurers on a new aircraft rego...but no probs ..got to keep the boys flying !......

Xair and LW at Donnington..........

...I presume you're talking about the new Highlander, so "dropped in" is apt. Plenty on this forum would be interested in a comparison with the Hornet. Over to you and the Brat...

From a biased viewpoint I would say it is in front of the hornet by a smidge.

Few different reasons,

Firstly the highlander has a fair bit lighter BEW

Secondly a combination of the self deploying slats and fowler flaps really help with the slow flight

He does only have the 100hp 912 so I claw back a smidge of performance there but he is already working on getting a 914 so that advantage will disappear soon

And last but definitely not least I'm not quite at 200 hours total experience so I am nowhere near capable of using the hornet to its full potential whereas Brett is the total opposite. (Much to my benefit he has basically taken me under his wing and I am looking forward to spending some time flying with him and learning a lot more about these awesomely fun machines:thumb up:)

So in summary the Highlander will outdo me in most things but I am still happy, I will still be able to get in and out of MOST of the places the highlander will go (once I get a bit more practice)

• Informative 1

Guest Maj Millard

Arrived at the Abergowrie airfield around three yesterday to sit with others and watch a large active storm cell pass to the North with rain and lightening strikes. It passed fairly quickly and suddenly the air was again smooth and flyable...the planned bomb drop was on !....

I hadn't bought the Lightwing up due other commitment so I preflighted Des Borellos Savannah VG Classic, warmed it up and took off mindfull of the required number of landings prior to passenger carrage.

I then flew three happy rides plus the required three bomb drop runs, with the other aircraft flying rides also. Total of twelve rides all up between three aircraft in about 1.5 hours of flying.

Best ride for me was young Hayley (7 years old) who had never been in an aircraft before. With the full view doors on the Sav she could see it all, and waved at her dad as we passed by the hangar on takeoff.

She was real good company and asked a lot of intelligent questions about the aircraft and flying in general....I made sure her first landing was a nice one.

Next was Shantel 22, ex Gold Coast girl who wanted to take some nice photos. She was also good company as I flew her over Abergowrie township and along the nearby Herbert River looking for crocs. Her boyfriend is learning to fly with local CFI Alan Cameron who was flying one of the Drifters, and Shantel had also had a ride with him.

I won the bomb drop, and enjoyed touching up my skills in the Sav once again. Sav 4209 which was the first kit built Sav to be completed in Oz has lots of power and flys very well. Visability is very nice now with its new windscreen which I recently fitted. A enjoyable and safe afternoons flying by all......Maj.....

(Photo is old with now replaced windshield still fitted.)

image.jpg.7e4fb1182d46be8ed7eb31fbc26053ad.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Had a nice flight around Yamba,couple of days ago,lucky enough to find a great bloke with a private strip who allows me to use anytime.The strip is East /West which can be a bit tricky as these things should be head wind only t/off but sugar cane is spongy,ha ha.

Another great morning ,looking towards Angourie Point with Yamba in b/ground & Yamba villiage

1847993857_IMG_2023(Copy).JPG.aa89b9d3e541c2a7f33701595419e105.JPG

670858636_IMG_2031(Copy).JPG.7eec1892c2f5e31651c3d07bded41c76.JPG

• Like 2

image.jpg.053df6f359fc589c17c62f31900305c1.jpg It has been nearly twelve months since I've had the better half up for a fly, I fly plenty with the kids but she has missed out a fair bit so this afternoon I organised for poppy to look after the kiddies for an hour or so and took her for a local flight. We didn't go to far but went up past the werris creek mine and around the township then back past Quirindi and a bit of a loop around the plains. We managed to meander around for nearly an hour and a half it was beautiful.

Once back the kids wanted a go so I took the little fella up first for his longest flight yet (still only about 15 minutes, don't want to over do it, keeping him wanting more) just a nice gentle flight with a 800 foot overfly of home so he could see his swing. Then the little girls turn so just another 15 minutes with a last minute go around as I was a smidge too high and quartering into the sun (she thought that was the best part) we landed on a different road still quartering into the sun but the other quarter which seemed to help.

All in all a beautiful afternoons flyingimage.jpg.4a5e830075a33cf7eb820e4c0e1dc3f1.jpg .

image.jpg.a565c94a0819fb9b76ed18833840bfad.jpg

image.jpg.a63521c99cdc97e95c851711010eaef0.jpg

image.jpg.0bab6aabdcae0663d0da069064ec035c.jpg

image.jpg.ab78a977b5690a7835a3927c862ae815.jpg

image.jpg.c093cdb34a7d7cfe02174020e0537ffc.jpg

image.jpg.be1a071bd1f56ca023b98f5b5d737e7f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Winner 3

What about Pop? Does he miss out?

He gets the odd fly:yes:.

Occasionally he will ask a pointed question hinting that he would like a fly maybe something like "how is so and so's corn growing?" And then I answer by saying "well it's going alright, would you like to go for a quick fly and see?" And so he doesn't come across too desperate he will answer "well I spose we could just duck out and back"009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif Which of course means we do a good lap of the district looking at the mine and quipolly dam and the towns:thumb up:

P.s I never fly over neighbours places to spy on their crops......... Honest 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

• Haha 1

Not one but two flights. No 1 was in the RV4, did all the checks, tuned to 119.55 the area frequency as required legally and I knew there was a savannah in the area. Not a peep from him, and I could see him on downwind as I taxied out, so changed to 126.7 and got his downwind call. I took off after he landed and jus stooged around listening to 119.55 the area frequency. I was orbiting above the Awoonga dam when I hear area telling QF380 who is inbound to Gladstone that there is unidentified VFR traffic ahead of him. A quick call to area nad I am asked to hit "ident" then I am identified and they suggest I call QF380 on 118.8, the Gladstone frequency. That works out well for us as now QF380 know my intentions and that I know about them. This shows that CASA's requirements for radio frequency use are working, even though I have had my doubts about their sensibility.

Flight 2 was the first flight for over a month in the Corby. It has been sitting forlorn, waiting for a new Tacho, which I firtted today.

Firing up the Jab engine was easy and it was soon purring along, a lot smoother than the Lycoming O-320 in the RV. I got the usual rapid acceleration and good climb rate. Tacho steady as a rock and how I enjoy the instant response to the controls. A few steep turns, then a practice forced landing and I was back on the ground, working a lot harder on the pedals to keep straight than in the RV and also not seeing anything ahead, but with 30m of runway width that is no problem.

Next it was put the planes away and get out the mower and sweat buckets in the high humidity, but it is all worth it.

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

Awesome day ! Started out with the hum of a light aircraft droning toward my hillbilly strip. Was amazed to see a neat little plane plant it perfectly on the 300 meters... Was an Auster built by taylorcraft . 1944 auster IV.i believe in civilian paint.?( don't really know ,don't really care because she was freaking beautiful. Really beautiful, I want it)

After a coffee and chat I dragged out the lady(lightwing ) and followed in loose formation but my max cruise of 80 knts was no match. I then enjoyed a rough flight home.

Later in the early afternoon I saddled up the war horse for a quick sortie for my visiting family. Then a late afternoon flight in the lady in perfect conditions with my young nephew enjoying his second flight.

I love Mondays! Always living the dream.

Couple of pics but sadly none of the auster( was to excited to think about pics when he landed and departed lol)

image.jpg.f5771b275188152e089e170dd02ff808.jpg

image.jpg.3d5c11f235065c20bf94563ae4f2320c.jpg

image.jpg.d9b0efac3d928d719b56f3628898c9e1.jpg

• Like 1

Had another pretty good day of flying myself today.

Left home at first light with my uncle and we flew out to girilambone and landed at a friends property. 200nm 15 minutes under 3 hours, was a beautiful trip out and we spent the day catching up.

Was mindful of the weather back home and thinking we might get a headwind we left a smidge before 4:30. Once we got back to Gulargambone we could see storms building over the warranbungles and our path over tooraweena to premer started to show colour on the radar so we decided to sneak around the north of the warranbungles as the radar showed the storms as basically stationary. That sort of worked and after skirting between the pilliga and coona the storms faded away and we could track for home again.

We found the forecast sou-easter to be a VERY pushy easterly which certainly slowed our progress. (Instead of the supposed 15-20 se it was around 35-40 easterly) to cut a long story short it was obvious that we wouldn't make it home by dark so it was time to make some decisions,

I didn't want to land at Coona for a few reasons,

1. I don't like flying anywhere near big hills when the wind is howling like that

2. It was 20 miles behind us (not a major factor if the strip was wind friendly)

3. I don't like flying near hills in big wind.

Anyway I talked to home and despite their assurances the wind had dropped there I organised for them to start coming out as I didn't want to get caught in twilight in bad wind and knowing the area well I headed for some beautiful big dry land farming paddocks that where a long way from any hills that would cause too much mechanical turbulence but close enough to the road for a pick up, we found one that had just been freshly ploughed and roughly lined up with the wind. It was about 3klms long and half that wide and had a house up the far end so after a good look and a double check I used a long final run and had the smoothest landing of the month (despite getting a little rough below 1000feet). A fair length of taxi down to the other end near the house and was all done and dusted.

We were all finished by 8 and last light wasn't until after half past.

Looking back I think we made mostly good decisions, yes we may have made it home before last light but with a strong wind to land in and clouds out west to hurry dark along I think we would have been pushing it. Should we have stopped earlier? Well the thought had crossed my mind when we were to the north of the warranbungles but seeing it was clear towards gunnedah and clearing where we wanted to go with only a 10 knot headwind I was happy enough to keep going knowing it was clear behind us and to the north (keeping in mind the pilliga takes a fair slab out of your options.) could we have left earlier? Yes, but it wouldn't have changed the outcome except to bounce us around in the afternoon heat.

So all in all I had a very enjoyable day and with the plane safely tied down away from home means I have an excuse to go for a fly tomorrow or the next day or sometime soon:thumb up:

• Like 6