Tell us about your last flight

Admin

Seems many pilots share the freedom of motorcycling

Another one here. I ride a Triumph Tiger Explorer (1200) and a DR650. Also have a DRZ400 for trail and a '47 BSA C11. I think I am going to sell the DRZ though, last trail crash resulted in broken tibia and ruptured ACL. Several operations later and its still not fixed properly. Was doing good till I hit a kangaroo doing 110kph on the trumpy and broke my ankle (same leg). I think I may have undone some of the surgeons work to my knee.

Went for a local ride in the Cessna on Friday, Gympie to Biggenden and back, lunch in the aptly named Grand hotel.Beautiful flying weather, nice views and a very decent $10 lunch special.

To prove that you should always be alert for other traffic a Bonanza called in behind us, just when I remarked that we'd be unlikely to see anyone up in the circuit. And additionally to bring to point home that there's always someone with an even better toy!

Looking forward to doing some more destinations from the pub+airstrip list this winter.

[ATTACH=full]35597[/ATTACH]

Biggenden airport apron

Looks familar, I was out there a few weeks back:

20150421_124152.jpg

Tomorrow I have managed to book a G1000 C172 at Henderson Airport in Nevada, and will be flying over the grand canyon. I have to fly dual, but I dare say the instructor will probably spend more time flying whilst I peer out the window and take photo's!

Not everyday you get to sit in the left seat and see this:

DSC01898.JPG

Half the cost of a similar flight in Australia too, and that includes the crappy aus dollar. For 2.3 hours in a low hour G1000 C172 the total cost was $530USD, and that includes an instructor sitting next to you.

• Like 2

Lol I was looking at that picture and I was soooo impressed with that huge cave near the bridge until I worked out it was the wheel:doh:

• Agree 2

Lol I was looking at that picture and I was soooo impressed with that huge cave near the bridge until I worked out it was the wheel:doh:

If it had been your bloody great wheel it would have been a huge cave!

[GALLERY=media, 3458]2015-05-17 15.00.46 by IBails posted May 18, 2015 at 10:29 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 3457]2015-05-17 13.52.35 by IBails posted May 18, 2015 at 10:28 PM[/GALLERY]

Nice day on Sunday so I took a Brumby for a fly out of Jaspers Brush. Aerial shot shows the airfield approaching from the North. Had a good weekend got some time in the Pipistrel on the Saturday and Brumby on the Sunday.

• Like 1

[GALLERY=media, 3458]2015-05-17 15.00.46 by IBails posted May 18, 2015 at 10:29 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 3457]2015-05-17 13.52.35 by IBails posted May 18, 2015 at 10:28 PM[/GALLERY]Nice day on Sunday so I took a Brumby for a fly out of Jaspers Brush. Aerial shot shows the airfield approaching from the North. Had a good weekend got some time in the Pipistrel on the Saturday and Brumby on the Sunday.

In the second picture you can see the Strip as well as the Shoalhaven river. The strip was under water a few weeks back and you can see water off the prop in the photo which is a pool just in front of the strip. The water was flowing like a river and all the aircraft had to be dragged to higher ground. The river,creek, under the plane is the creek that flows into the town of Berry , and joins the Shoalhaven river. Very nice area to fly around, but is in the middle of a mostly active navy zone so week ends are the go most of the time.

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got to fly the brand new Foxbat from Caboolture recreational aviation yesterday, took my wife for a $100 hamburger, stunning Qld day, skirted around Oakeys airspace down over Dalby & into Millmerran, only 1.5km walk into town for lunch, then back to Caboolture.

If anybody's looking for a place to stop & stretch the legs Millmerran is definitely worth it, a very tidy council aerodrome & friendly country people in town, burger was outstanding too.

Got to fly the brand new Foxbat from Caboolture recreational aviation yesterday, took my wife for a $100 hamburger, stunning Qld day, skirted around Oakeys airspace down over Dalby & into Millmerran, only 1.5km walk into town for lunch, then back to Caboolture.If anybody's looking for a place to stop & stretch the legs Millmerran is definitely worth it, a very tidy council aerodrome & friendly country people in town, burger was outstanding too.

I stay in Millmerran every now and again for work. Lovely little town.

I always have an andrenaline rush when i fly my cavalon, easter sunday flew from Tyabb to Rushworth. The weather was not the best visibility to VFR route via Kilmore gap was bad and checked into a friends property in Berwick Vic. After half hour realised an openning in the clouds and set off again via hurtsbridge on VFR route to Kilmore gap. Although i have a Garmin 695 i rarely use it, OZ runways on my mini ipad is fantastic for all information including weather. After the Kilmore gap tracking NW to the waranga dam and then SE to Rushworth. There i met up with a number of other ultralight flyers and was bloody windy hence they werent game to be up in the air. Late afternoon i decided to head back to Tyabb, but before i wanted to give the property owner some experience in a gyro, the camera was a cheapy that i removed from dash cam and inserted it onto my gyro wind shield, not much editing and left the sound as is, here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRRLclDG5V8

When i got back i could not get the property owner to shut up, nor could i wipe the smile from his face as you would realise from the podcast.

Thought i post this to show the versatility of a gyro.

Well I have just returned from QLD. Got to fly out of Gympie as a PAX and was introduced to the great flying available to the QLD flyer fraternity . Many airstrips in the coastal regions which would make getting around quite nice. Being in the region I also took the opportunity to be type checked in a Savannah by Neil at GoFly at their Caboolture base. I have never seen so many RA machines in all my days at the one place what an interesting part of the world Caboolture is for RA life .

• Agree 2

I always have an andrenaline rush when i fly my cavalon, easter sunday flew from Tyabb to Rushworth. The weather was not the best visibility to VFR route via Kilmore gap was bad and checked into a friends property in Berwick Vic. After half hour realised an openning in the clouds and set off again via hurtsbridge on VFR route to Kilmore gap. Although i have a Garmin 695 i rarely use it, OZ runways on my mini ipad is fantastic for all information including weather. After the Kilmore gap tracking NW to the waranga dam and then SE to Rushworth. There i met up with a number of other ultralight flyers and was bloody windy hence they werent game to be up in the air. Late afternoon i decided to head back to Tyabb, but before i wanted to give the property owner some experience in a gyro, the camera was a cheapy that i removed from dash cam and inserted it onto my gyro wind shield, not much editing and left the sound as is, here is the link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRRLclDG5V8

When i got back i could not get the property owner to shut up, nor could i wipe the smile from his face as you would realise from the podcast.

Thought i post this to show the versatility of a gyro.

Looks like a lot of fun but I have to ask....

Are autogiros exempt from the 500ft lower limit?

Do you need a low flying endo?

Was it over the land owners property? What about the over water bit?

I went for a fly on saturday just a local one to test out a GoPro 3 I have now. Was going to go over to Watts Bridge but too many aircraft going there so decided to just mosey around the local patch. Was a beautiful day. Got some noise in the power supply I made so just need to fix that up and the buzzing should be gone

• Like 6

Nice flight today in the Tecnam with my mates Doc & Mick in the Foxbat, departed West Sale around 10 am & headed off to Marlo airport a mere 83nm away following the beautiful Gippsland lakes & coast.

Coffee consumed in the great little terminal at Marlo & a chin wag with Peter based at Marlo then we were off again to Bairnsdale.

Arrived at YBNS just before a couple of tandem meat bombs exited from 10000 ft and had a little break as there was not much happening there either.

Offer from a mate Bill from Bruthen who was in Traralgon with his awesome Revo trike to grab a few pies while he was in town was enough encouragement to head to LTV and chew the fat.

As per normal LTV was busy on the weekend with quite a few aircraft in the circuit(s) yes I say circuits as most using 21 and the odd one using 27 and the odd unreadable radio which doesn't give you such a warm fuzzy feeling as you neck is on a swivel trying to spot & slot in.

Safely on the ground and down at Kens hangar saw us scoff the maggot bags & the bun that Bill had kindy supplied between chewing the fat talking the usual about aviation.

Good hour + spent there and it was time for the 25nm trip back home to YWSL touching 120kts GS in the Teccy and the Foxy hitting 105 had us home in no time.

Top day had by 3 mates who just love to fly and catch up with fellow aviators and enjoy such awesome scenery in the part of the world we live in.

And that my friends is how we spent the 6th of June 2015, we were LTD (living the dream)

Cheers

Alf

Photo below is of Lake Tyres & Lakes Entrance ahead after leaving YORB (Orbost)

image.jpg.0c9046012103903c19418cff0fc49f7f.jpg

• Like 4

Went out to Inglewood Flyin yesterday and flew back this morning. Was a great weekend and the local hospitality and food is outstanding as usual. The locals really love to have us there we need to promote this more and get more aircraft and people out there next year. I had a issue with fuel on the way back I filled 3 tanks which gives me 100 lt so well enough including the high winds expected this weekend. And high they were. Luckily on the way out they were not directly on the nose but at one stage the MGL shows 55 kts of wind at 3500 ft. most of the time they were between 25 and 40 kts winds aloft. I love my MGL Xtreme. On the way back this morning I was keeping an eye on my fuel I had both right hand tanks feeding and I noticed the inner tank was almost empty but the outer tank was almost full as it had drained a little on the flight out but I was using all 3 tanks on the way out. next thing my reserve fuel light starts flashing which means the right inner tank was dry so I turned on the left inner tank which had about 30 or so litres still in it and the light went out. I kept turning on and off the right outer fuel tap but no go it wouldnt drain. I made the decision to land at Watts Bridge on the way home as the nearer the coast I knew we would be punching a pretty much head on wind and I would need a lot more fuel than I had. Danny Leach in his Savannah and I landed at Watts and took the cap off the right outer tank and blew the breather out and some small blockage came out...then the tank started to drain into the other 2 tanks so there was another 30 lt so all was well after a few more checks and we blasted off into the roughness bound for Caboolture. I have to say its my first ever inflight issue with fuel so I will be changing the tank breathers from the std ICP ones to the stainless steel tube version on the top of the tank caps. The photo is my live tracking through APRS a ham radio advantage. You can see when I noticed the fuel issue you will see how I was blown off track due to the strong winds while I was concentrating trying to sort out the fuel issue then had to get back on track....I love Ozrunways too. The mrs texted me when I got to Watts wanting to know why I stopped there as that was not the plan so it certainly works well and when I got back to Caboolture she was waiting outside the hangar with a cup of nice hot coffee for me

1402052036_ScreenShot2015-06-07at2_46_27pm.jpg.fede11181efaccad7b4e4f566c70f231.jpg

• Like 4

Took the old Cessna to the Archer falls fly in, weather was a bit blustery over the ranges, but not too bad on the ground.

Some pretty interesting aircraft around, from quite advance to very simple.

There were both British and German fighter aircraft replicas, the Brits were in the advantage though with a Spitfire vs the Fokker DR1 Dreidecker :)

Archerfalls-3.jpg.c5c72ff7c299daf8e8b97fb530d9ff95.jpg

Archerfalls-0.jpg.f8854068b6b72d00bc1b061bcc3c035b.jpg

Archerfalls-4.jpg.054ffdd1a21ba18819662cfb1d7b0714.jpg

Archerfalls-5.jpg.95482572cc80f6bacdcc4fc3729acebc.jpg

Archerfalls-8.jpg.3e4c302251830ab54c4a4d155e1a7a46.jpg

Archerfalls-13.jpg.1e1dc3fdeca6e5b8b145ef81cd378b09.jpg

Archerfalls-15.jpg.ef951d64e5913f2579d87128d957393a.jpg

Archerfalls-16.jpg.5e11a8581098207b8831ed70d5368a20.jpg

Archerfalls-19.jpg.82b021d22b00da79fcf7504326f636eb.jpg

Archerfalls-20.jpg.c727340cefdc942fa1da8a257b7ad836.jpg

Archerfalls-23.jpg.a2dd9f149727817839642ec9ab1f48db.jpg

• Like 3