Tell us about your last flight

Admin

Did my first cross country on Sunday from ycnk scary but exciting !!!John

Morning or afternoon? I went up at about 6:30pm for a little sight-see with a mate over Newcastle and the coast, and it was still really hot until we had climbed sufficiently. For all that, the air was relatively smooth - better than expected anyway. :)

Had a pleasant flight over a small part of the Gippsland Lakes in SE Victoria this morning .

1. Newlands Backwater (foreground ) then Lake Victoria (centre) ,then Bass Strait (at the top behind the narrow land mass ).

image.jpg.510b6ce904405d4b47ae0b48710ac695.jpg

2.Looking North down McMillan Straits separating Raymond Island in the foreground and Paynesville to the West . Lake King in background with Bairnsdale about 5 nm further North .

image.jpg.240b9194133355ee0dfacce19c314141.jpg

3. Looking West down Lake Victoria with Duck Arm to the right.

image.jpg.15d220276dc25c24e7ca7d86b0696331.jpg

• Like 5

Hi All,

Went down to Caboolture airfield the other day and happened to meet Scott Hendry, after some conversation he asked me what I was doing and I told him not to much he then asked me if I wanted to fly up to Teewah airfield to say G'day to a friend of his, I jumped at the chance for a fly, I happened to have my video camera so I took some video of our flight and I have uploaded to U Tube and here as well.

Now my video's are not as good as Scott's but I tried my best, so here it is..

Enjoy our flight, we have a great time !!!!!

• Like 4

What did you do it in? Did you use just the compass or did you have a directional Gyro or GPS? Always exciting regardless.

Compass and clock, Cfi is very strict in a friendly kind of way. Batteries don't last forever he says.

I'm looking forward to the next one.

John.

After an aborted cross-country exercise Friday, a few circuits were made on return to Cessnock. We were sharing the circuit with a gyro and a student learning in 152 -UNX and a couple of others taxiing for departure. As we turn final ol' mates instructor makes the call that he is hopping out and sending the student for the first solo.

We do our touch and go and the Cessna follows us airborne. As we turn downwind on the subsequent circuit, the Cessna is turning off the runway, still in one piece:oh yeah: and I keyed the mike "Uniform November X-ray, congratulations sir". Several other pilots also commented favourably on the landing and offered their congratulations as well. A simple action but one that gives a nice warm & fuzzy feeling.

We all remember our first solo. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Like 1

Hi All,Went down to Caboolture airfield the other day and happened to meet Scott Hendry, after some conversation he asked me what I was doing and I told him not to much he then asked me if I wanted to fly up to Teewah airfield to say G'day to a friend of his, I jumped at the chance for a fly, I happened to have my video camera so I took some video of our flight and I have uploaded to U Tube and here as well.

Now my video's are not as good as Scott's but I tried my best, so here it is..

Enjoy our flight, we have a great time !!!!!

Awesome flight

Do you require any special permission to access Teewah airfield

Yesterday I flew the hornet back over to taree for a service, (yes I do most of them but it's been 12 months and doesn't hurt to have some independent eyes go over things:wink:)it was a beautiful morning and I had a nice tailwind to help me along although the last time I flew that way it only took 45mins (50 knot tailwind at altitude) this time it took me 1hr 15minutes which was still good going for me:thumb up:. I hardly recognised the taxiways at taree as they have done an awful lot of grass works and prettied it up for expansions (although I heard a rumour of the price for a bare block and nearly fainted, seems I would be expecting a hangar and half a plane for the same amount).

Was good to catch up with the team there. They have some very interesting projects on the go and would be well worth a visit if anyone is going past 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Also thought I would try and insert a video of my very first flight to hillston which would have been nearly 12 months ago, make sure you watch it in HD:thumb up:

• Like 2

Since getting my dual sticks signed off and my BFR done I have been flying for the last 3 weekend and even though its been hot up here in gods own country the flying conditions up until mid day have been fabulous...not too many bumps just very smooth flying. This morning Roger Western, Danny Leach and my self took off from Caboolture and flew out to Nanango. The 3 of us flying our Savannahs. While passing Kilcoy the 3 guys from the Ken Wright, hans and John Gilpin joined the foray with another 2 savannahs and a CH701 and all 6 of us landed at Nanango and had a good chat. We took off from there and all landed back at Kilcoy following the Brisbane river back basically and sat down having a cuppa and some great chat also looking over Ken's other Savannah he and Hans ferried from Victoria a week or two ago. The the 3 of us headed back to Caboolture. This is what flying is all about..great flying conditions clear skies and great comraderey.

I tried the Rec Flying go pro look alike on this trip for the first time although not mounted just sitting on my dash I will edit the video and post it a bit later. I have ordered some mounts for it so I can get it in another position but I have to say the video quality is awesome. There are a few little things I need to sort out with it but for the price you can't go wrong, Think I will get another couple to attach in different places on the "Girlfriend"

Attached is the track both out and back to Kilcoy and back to Ycab...done with my ham radio gear via APRS

307107233_ScreenShot2015-02-01at2_02_04pm.jpg.3646e30b8f86cd3f66b8b5483807efa6.jpg

1203578773_photo3.JPG.3d796335097160451412c87e0800cda8.JPG

Mark

330826358_photo1.JPG.9ed680f07156c8873114661cad9a5cdc.JPG

• Like 6

No photos but today was an absolute blast.

I did nothing extraordinary, however what I did do was just great bloody fun. An hour and 10 minutes on the Nimbus 2000 (aka Drifter) at Caboolture. What a blast. The first half hour doing circuits, touch and goes in a busy circuit where the guy in front of me was on only his second day Solo. So picture this:

Not sure what it was but VH rego fast and yellow and visable from miles away. I think it was this one from another thread. (Whitman Tailwind he modified for hand controls http://recreationalflying.com/threads/hand-controls-for-170-jabiru.130856/ ).

The Foxbat with the solo guy in it.

Me in the drifter.

And a guy in a Jab behind me.

All of us doing circuits. What a blast. All four of us doing circuits with touch and goes on 12. made for a busy circuit and the line everyone was following obviously due to the different speeds and glide paths were all different. Very interesting. But as we should do we were all making our calls and were all aware of where everyone was and what they were doing at all times. So far so good, training and discipline works and we were all doing well.

On about the 5th circuit we hear this guy call for a straight in approach on 12 from 10 miles out with an estimated cct time of 5 mins so he was obviously quicker than any of us. I was third in the cct and on crosswind ol' mate calls 3 miles straight in full stop. I am starting to get a bit curious at this stage. I was sure he had to give way to cct traffic if he was doing a straight in. We were obviously all watching for this guy as bright yellow called base, ol' mate called 1 mile final. Hmm this could be interesting, by this stage I was mid downwind , bright yellow turning final and Foxy doing an extended downwind turning base. Obviously I had to extend down wind to fit in with Foxy which took me right out of my comfort zone. Extended downwind on 12 at Ycab does not leave to many options if the fan stops in a Drifter.

Anyway ol' mate cuts in on Foxy (remember second solo, well done Mark handled an interesting situation with aplomb) when he is halfway through base. Crosses the fence as bright yellow is crossing the threshold and forced me into no-mans land. Not happy Jan. I dropped in right behind Foxy and promptly went around to leave a gap knowing full well that the Jab behind me must have had his brakes on by this stage. Even with all that happening it was great to see from my position how well training cut in and allowed everyone to safely adjust there moves to allow this bloke in.

After that I left the circuit and headed out to the training area to practice some tight turns and forced landings for another half hour. When I came back into the circuit I continued picking a spot on the runway and trying to hit it. My last one I aimed for the threshold and if I had of landed on the bitumen rather than the grass alongside, I reckon I would have had white paint on my wheels. It was a great day and for someone who nearly had to be lifted out of the Drifter as a gibbering wreck 2 months ago I feel as though I have finally mastered this beast.

My comment after landing and walking back into the school was simply that I could not remember ever having any more fun than that whilst flying. Today I was in total control the airplane did everything I asked it to do when I asked it to. Not only was the quality of my training put to the test but the training and experience of 3 other pilots was also tested and found sufficient. Today was a great day, it was a day that made all the work worthwhile. I will admit though that I did not get as much done on my own plane as I would have liked to. But the experience was worth it.

• Like 1

Sounds like a great day....except for the rude prick doing a straight in...that really craps me off especially when the circuit is full...pushy bastards...there are a few around too. Peter Pretorious has the Whitman Tailwind...he flys a lot too...goes to a lot of the breakfasts about. Its pretty quick that little yellow flash yet it slows up well they tell me not Stol but fairly close

Yes was certainly interesting with four totally different aircraft with different flight envelopes all doing circuits. Not something that I had ever experienced but great experience when it did happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Flew down to the farm yesterday, (friday) 400km from Gawler SA to Edenhope Vic. Early in the morning, and the air was silky smooth and the engine just purred as usual. Then there was the landing with a 550 m strip at the farm and no wind... you get spoiled with strips like at Gawler.

Hey nice looking aircraft you have in that picture Frank.

Last trip was a quick overnight flight in the RV12 from Latrobe valley to Tocumwal left lunch time and had a great trip nice and smooth and a few clouds this side of the ranges and clear the other side bit rough descending but not too bad Landed and tied down and got a lift with a club member into Tocumwal booked into the to Tocumwal motel for the night Went on the courtesy but to the golf club for tea. Walked out to the airfield topped up with fuel and flew home in the morning also a great flight very high cloud with a bit of light rain coming from the west about an hour and a half each way and 65 litres of fuel

• Like 3

Went for my first flight using my PPL privileges on Monday! First half a dozen solo circuits to get back into it, after 2 months at sea (and the first landing counted triple I think).

And then off to the most import 'check' flight of them all: Took my wife up for the very first time, just a quick hop from YBSU coastal to double island point and back as it was a bit bumpy with showers predicted later in the afternoon. While she was a tiny bit startled on landing, she enjoyed the rest of the flight a lot. So I think I can start planning for a bigger trip, can't wait to actually go somewhere flying!

We flew over land from Noosa to the field and there was quite a bit of turbulence on the approach to 12, both mechanical from mount Coolum and the normal Qld summer afternoon thermals, which made for a lively bit of flying. She said: "it was a bit scary, but you didn't seem to be freaking out so I guessed it was OK", that's the right attitude for a passenger I guess 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif ).

Any tips from the old hands on keeping spouses happy in the air? If I ever want to get my own aeroplane I must make sure she enjoys it too 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

• Like 2

First rule on keeping the boss happy is pick your time. Take her up on the good days at least until she gets used to it. And like you did do some circuits first so that you do not scare her on landing.

Two keep it interesting. take her to places/flyin breakies or just somewhere for a nice fly then taxi into town for lunch or morno's then a nice trip home.

Three sight seeing flights, Q1, whale watching etc.

She will be hooked in no time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well today was great. 5 planes and 11 people headed off from Caboolture to Bundaberg to support our 2 ladies carrying the Womens Relay Flight for cancer Baton. ( https://www.facebook.com/WomenPilotsRelay?fref=ts ) This is an around Australia anti clockwise relay to raise funds and awareness for cancer. Today two of our ladies were doing the leg from Caboolture to Bundaberg, and I had the privilege of flying with them with my wife as passenger to support over wonderful Women pilots and the cause they were flying for.

We had a wonderful flight both ways, and as it was the first time that I had flown in company with others it was a new and interesting experience for me. Bundaberg Aero Club opened up for us and provided tea, coffee and nibblies. We met the young lady Danielle who was to fly the baton on to Mackay this afternoon, and she had flown up from Toowoomba to collect it.

It was a wonderful day and we met some great people who's hearts were all in the right place and gave freely of their time and equipment to help raise funds for this great cause. The only slight downside for me was that through the week I was contacted and asked if I could help out another great cause by taking a load of Hay from Brissy out to Mungandi for The Drought Busters Convoy. ( https://www.facebook.com/pages/Drought-Busters-Convoy/1550766468505164?fref=ts ) The convoy spent Friday nigh a Goondiwindi and on to Mungandi yesterday. Being from South Western Qld in a past life I regret having to turn them down but having already committed to one charity it was beyond my scope to back out.

• Like 4

Just got back yesterday from a 2 week holiday where we flew down to Warrnambool via Narromine to visit relatives, then caught a train to Melbourne to do some sightseeing and to check out the Avalon Airshow. We were hoping to fly back via the coast but the weather wasn't suitable, so we returned via Narromine again. Had an awesome time.

If you missed the Airshow, here's some highlights.

• Like 6

I picked the hornet up from taree on Wednesday morning, it was a foggy morning east of the ranges so an early start wasn't an option. It was somewhere around ten when I got started with the fog about 1500 agl, I did a circuit to refamiliarise myself weft a couple of weeks off and then headed for mt George and the start of the lane. That is my decision point whether I go down the lane to maitland and up past scone or direct up the Bernard and home. Getting closer to mt George the fog was noticibly higher and gathering together in fluffy little bundles with blue poking through everywhere, it was looking like a direct flight would be on the cards. Once at mt George with the cloud cover at 3/8ths I decided to climb and have a look and as I climbed the Bernard valley opened up as clear as a bell. It was beautiful with fluffy clouds up each side my own little lane to home, not that I have anything against the lane to maitland (actually i don't like it but I won't complain much)

After that it was all very straight forward and after the brief break from flying I really enjoyed it.

image.jpg.2d8ddcc31f5ac60d7191f9177547ec88.jpg

• Like 2

March 14th, Annual finally signed off and BFR done same day.

Nice to get back out with my instructor doing the BFR, nice steep turns, nice stalls nice forced landings, short field & soft field and the rest they throw at you, good to be back in the air, love the throttle closed just after rotation as it keeps you senses alert and you on your toes.

Hadn't flown since December which would be a record for me in the last 10 years.

Today was a good day, plane back in the air, me back in the air and the rego was back within a week so it doesn't get much better than that.

No guessing what I will be up to tomorrow morning 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

Alf