Channel 7 have lost the plot!

Tonight (Sat) I was watching the news - dunno why when you read what I am just about to post.

A plane flying near.... (somewhere out west NSW) a passenger had to take control of the Cessna when the pilot had chest pains.

Picture of an american Cessna. Obvious from the rego.

Some "from the cabin" movies. No overlaying text. Then a clip of a Cessna landing. Again Nxxxxx.

NOWHERE did they say "THIS IS NOT ORIGINAL FOOTAGE".

What do they take us for? Total idiots?

You've seen something that you know is wrong.

What is concerning with the media, is seeing something with no knowledge of the subject and thinking it to be correct and factual as will most members of the public seeing this article.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

Would you prefer a news story with several blank screens saying "We apologise for not having any photos of this particular Cessna?"

They have to put together a news story, with what visual they can get, sometimes with 30 minutes for writing, filming, animation, photos etc.

• Agree 2

Was just reading on one of the news websites about Stephen Hawkins and black holes. The media stated HE came up with the concept of black holes. Sorry but they (black holes) were talked about when Hawkins was a baby. Like everything else, journalism has been dumbed down, not that one needed to be very bright to be a journalist anyway.

• Agree 2

Much of the news is made up of "infotainment" people don't want to waste their time watching boring facts these days. Guess thats also why we have weather "presenters" not meteorologists any more.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The news media must be full of Knob Jockeys or they couldn't care less when it comes to research. RAAF personnel have for a long while been wearing DPCU (Disruptive Pattern Camouflaged Uniform) on more than one occasion they have been miss identified as Army personnel. A few weeks ago there was a segment on a C17 Globemaster heading overseas and naturally according to the news, the aircrew and the jet belonged to the Army .

There was also not long ago when a C17 Globemaster was called a Blowmaster in a segment. lol . I hoped they sacked that dude .

Channel 7 reported last week that Toowoomba received 50 metres of rain in a day. I know we are all capable of a slip of the tongue but surely this stuff should be picked up by producers & editors?

Guest Andys@coffs
..........There was also not long ago when a C17 Globemaster was called a Blowmaster in a segment. lol . I hoped they sacked that dude .

I dunno Dazza....that description is probably more accurate of the beast than globemaster! especially if you were behind it when a high RPM Engine run was occurring. Of course if that were the case and it was taken to max rpm then it would the full scientific name would be needed "F%^&* me that's a Blowmaster!"

I can remember at Butterworth seeing an F111 enine run in the designated engine runup area and seeing shanty's being blown away from behind the aircraft...At the time the Malaysian airforce used to run up F5 Tigers at that runup spot (I think that was what they were)......F111 output vs F5 tiger was a world of difference!

We expected a major international incident after it had occurred....Malaysian Airforce commander was completely unruffled simply saying"They shouldn't be there" and that was the last thing said on the matter......

Andy

Tonight (Sat) I was watching the news - dunno why when you read what ? ......What do they take us for? Total idiots?

Meanwhile elsewhere in these forums, a poster equated the greenies with Hitler and the Nazis.

So I guess we get the news and the politicians we deserve.

• Agree 1

One of the problems with modern education - there is no compulsory maths or science for the HSC so we end up with Journos who can't understand what they see or hear (feel or smell) and can't add up the facts. Some of the Journos don't like to travel either - can you see how angry they get when they have to do a houso story in the outer suburbs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

The news media must be full of Knob Jockeys or they couldn't care less when it comes to research. RAAF personnel have for a long while been wearing DPCU (Disruptive Pattern Camouflaged Uniform) on more than one occasion they have been miss identified as Army personnel. A few weeks ago there was a segment on a C17 Globemaster heading overseas and naturally according to the news, the aircrew and the jet belonged to the Army .There was also not long ago when a C17 Globemaster was called a Blowmaster in a segment. lol . I hoped they sacked that dude .

That was a joke related to the pilot Dazza.

One of the problems with modern education - there is no compulsory maths or science for the HSC so we end up with Journos who can't understand what they see or hear (feel or smell) and can't add up the facts. Some of the Journos don't like to travel either - can you see how angry they get when they have to do a houso story in the outer suburbs.

Really?

I was being interviewed at an outer suburb in the cold and wind by the usual hot babe Journalist dressed in a cotton suit and perfect makeup.

The event we were waiting for dragged on for about three hours and finally she started twisting and turning, and asked if there was a toilet around. I have here the keys to my car and told her she could drive into town. She was soon back looking neat and cheerful as ever. While we were talking I suggested it would have been great if we could have got an aerial shot. That was no problem, she just picked up the phones and said "Geoff, can you get the chopper out here" and fifteen minutes later there it was hovering overhead.

We filmed a great 12 second segment which really had some impact on the night.

Seeing so much of their craft from the inside, I don't have a problem with their standards - there are good, mediocre and the usual 5% cretins just as there are in any other group.

Today's Age says that yesterday's incident involved three people in a Cessna 150. It says the ATC told them to circle Forbes and dump fuel! The photo is of a Cessna 150. Surely some reality check is possible in the news process?

The journalist is not likely to be an aviation expert. She may well have been told by someone at the airfield that ATC told them to "dump" fuel instead of burn off fuel. Let's face it many posters on this forum don't know the difference between the term hangar and hanger. We don't know who provided the information.

We also don't know whether there were three people in a Cessna 172 and the photo, which showed a 150/152 or Aerobat depending how picky you are, was incorrect, or the airctaft was a 150, and the 172 and 3 passengers was incorrect, because again we don't know who told Megan Gorry, who I suspect was located in Melbourne or Sydney at the time.

The same nitpicking takes place when there's a story about farming and the journalist uses the word grass, in the medical industry where a technical term is missed, in the trade union movement, and just about every other walk of life that pedants live in.

Reading short-time stories where detailed information is perfect is never going to happen, particularly now where journalists are having to write more and more remote stories.

Guest Andys@coffs

Im a bit with Tubs on this one. Changes in Technology such as forums like this, have meant that the traditional news industry's aren't going to make it long term in the form that they were in when the transition was forced on them. As Tubs says the person who wrote the story was probably time poor and a million miles away....

I also think that when time poor you have to focus on the important stuff. In this case it wouldn't have made one ounce of difference if it was a Jabiru, Cessna, Piper or Texan the pertinent points were that the pilot became incapacitated, the passenger was promoted whether he liked it or not until the pilot came good(ish)

To me, the type of aircraft is of relatively secondary importance because in my mind if you can fly one of those in the list I provided you can probably fly any off them down to a survivable landing. If it had been a Cessna citation or even a caravan then getting the type of aircraft wrong might well have changed my view about the luck/skill of the passenger, and the acceptability of the lowering standards of the media organisations

If the story was about an inflight failure of something and the consequences of that then the type of aircraft is pretty important.... ( at least to some of us, if not the statistical majority)

I know many will see that as an unacceptable compromise on my part, but it has collectively been our take up of technology that is forcing the changes that the media kings are thrashing through as they slowly reduce to a shadow of their former self......I can see our ABC and globally state based media enterprises as the coming powerhouses in that space, they live at the taxpayers expense and don't live by the inches of advertising space they sell.

Andy