Cut red tape..namely, the unwanted ASIC

quentas

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

??? My understanding of requiring an ASIC is where it is stated4. This AD is a security controlled airport (Stated in ERSA)

which is stated for YBAF. Nothing to do with whether RPT or not.

As I understand it Windsor and Frank are both sort of right. The ERSA statement is how you tell if an ASIC is needed, however the assessment hinges around RPT ops. Of course, RPT operators come and go from some airports creating anomilies, because once an airport is listed it tends to stay that way regardless of whether continuing RPT ops occur. Personally I believe the ASIC system should only apply to International Gateways, or at worst extended to airports with regular RPT jet ops, however it is hard to remove the red tape once it is in place. I will go to the website and have my say though.

• Agree 1

I have had an ASIC for 5 years now. Never been asked for it at any aerodrome I have landed at. Does the Asic only apply if you leave the flight side and want to return, or is it in vogue all the time. Seem to me that if you land at an airport, refcuel and then take off without leaving the airside then it is useless and unenforceable...am I correct?

My take has always been I like to fly to wherever I want to fly to (within reason depending on what aircraft I'm in) if I need an ASIC then I will have one because I like to fly (it's only 200 bucks most people spend that much on a night out at a restaurant with their wife).

That said I also believe it serves no purpose to those of us that fly, it is in place to satisfy the concerns of the general public that aviation is as safe from the nasty terrorists as it can be and all the security goons are there protecting them (couldn't be further from reality but we are not dealing with reality only emotion).

What they (general public) don't realise is that it doesn't stop some person going and buying an aircraft, learning to fly it (no ASIC required) packing it full of whatever flying OCTA to Redcliff and then the 4 minute jaunt to Brisbane and parking it through the front windows at 6 in the morning when any number of WB are unloading/loading with probably upwards of 5000 people in the vicinity. Nothing and nobody to stop them. I'll probably have the feds come knocking on my door now and never be issued with another ASIC again.

• Caution 1

Where i live we have RPT and no one checks the ASIC anywhere but in the RPT area where they wouldnt let you even if you did have an ASIC. Plus at more secure airports you have to pay for transit from a gate to your aircraft even with an ASIC.

So it really is red tape. For most of us it has zero benefit for us or the authorities and yet costs a lot = Red Tape

Quite a few years ago now, Amanda Vanstone (while still a Minister in the Howard government) wrote a column saying that the whole aviation safety thing was 'because we need to be seen to be doing something', rather than 'there is a need to do something'. I think it was in response to a report that a returning Australian passenger had a G.I Joe toy confiscated at Customs because it had 'a military weapon'.

NO, I am NOT joking. This happened, as did Amanda's article. Howard was in the throes of ramping up 'Security' massively - witness the ASIO staff increase and Palace Royale in Canberra. I won't enter the politics of the thing other than to say that the reasons for going into Iraq were starting to be vociferously questioned at the time.

Amanda was dropped in the next Cabinet re-shuffle.

A few years ago I flew around Australia in a Jabiru with 8 other aircraft (Fly Away to Heaven organised by Fr John Fowles, Thurgoona NSW.) I did not have an ASIC but did have and AVID photo ID card. There were two places where anyone asked to see the ASIC card; Kalgoorlie where a groundsman requested to see it and when I produced the AVID he didn't have a clue. The second place was Merimbula where I believe the management have a vested interest in these cards.

What we should have is a licence card with photo - works fine for car licences, why not for aircraft? Laurie

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had an ASIC card once.

It was a total waste of money.

Plan your flights to airfields that don't require them. i.e. spend your money elsewhere.

If you have to stop at an ASIC airport, only fill the plane and go elsewhere.

If the ASIC runs at a loss $$$ then they are going to look closely at Why.

Only place I ever had any trouble was Bundaberg. (Avoid like the plague).

Why do we have to prove we are not a Terrorist?

Isn't it innocent until proven guilty?

Make the Terrorists wear a card.

Guest Andys@coffs

I think the ASIC thing is Ok:no: but what I would suggest is that:-

1) Why do we need a new one every 2 years.... drivers license lasts more than that, passport same.... make the card last 10years, or until formally withdrawn

2) Do the 2yrly checks that they do and withdraw the card formally if the checks show that you've been moonlighting as a BedLinen!

3) Send the "Canberra gang" around if your found to be Al and his make Kyda and among all the other things they will want to do to you, have them pull the ASIC, believe me when I say that will be the least of your worry's.....

Andy its pointless at most airports, simply because even if you have one your not trustworthy in areas of security and usually require watching or a paid transit....So why have one..

If it where useful and it meant at Sydney you could walk from a security guard at a gate to your aircraft, then it would be useful. But given they dont trust anyone who has one, why bother making us have them...

• Agree 1

Guest Andys@coffs

Perhaps I wasn't being blunt enough....I also think they are a total crock!

But.......if we have to have them then what changes do we want that would make "going through the motions" less painful

As Turbs suggested, Its been determined that we have to have them, us all agitating that we don't want a bar means that we are arguing black and white. Reality for me is that a shade of grey close to white will work and gives them a suggestion that we will compromise rather than continue to argue for perfection which being government they are completely incapable of delivering!

Andy

Firstly let me say I DON'T agree with having to buy an ASIC period.

But one of the other problems is the way security is policed at some airports.

I suspect some of the problem with security staff is, with some individuals, give them a little authority and they think they control the world (more prominent in those that have not had any previous position of authority)

The other is airport management. For example I experience less problems gaining access to Townsville airport then at Emerald - I suspect the excessive approach at YEML is created by people trying to appear to be important so as not to lose their worthless jobs - to the extent of regular checking that permanent maintenance staff (who they know & see every day) are displaying their red cards.

This little black duck will never ever get one, regardless of what the rules say.

As in they won't ever give you under any circumstances, ever

or

You choose not to apply

• Haha 2

As in they won't ever give you under any circumstances, everor

You choose not to apply

Choose not to apply. I held a secret security clearance back in the day .So I should be right on that account

Strict liability offence. Not a choice - if you want to use a licence that is. If your circumstances are that you go nowhere then it's OK.

No where. ? You are kidding aren't you? There are plenty of places to go where you don't need the stupid card.

I always find it a hoot that each time you get a new card you have to prove who you are ..................... this logic infers that your existing card is not satisfactory evidence to confirm that you are ................... you

in other words the legislator does not even recognise their own card as satisfactory ID

which then implies to me that even the legislator considers them worthless

• Agree 8

An observation ... it's impossible to fly around the world without a valid passport (good for 10 years & recognised worldwide) yet we have to have the ASIC card for some local airports - now try & travel with just the ASIC card worldwide.

That is the joke on us.

Jake J

The lighter side of cutting red tape from an irate Australian Citizen

Dear Mr. Minister,

I'm in the process of renewing my passport, and still cannot believe this.

How is it that K-Mart has my address and telephone number, and knows that I bought a television set and golf clubs from them back in 1997,and yet the Federal Government is still asking me where I was born and on what date?

For Christ sakes, do you guys do this by hand?

My birth date you have in my Medicare information, and it is on all the income tax forms I've filed for the past 40 years. It is also on my driver's licence, on the last eight passports I've ever had, on all those stupid customs declaration forms I've had to fill out before being allowed off planes over the past 30 years. It's also on all those insufferable census forms that I've filled out every 5 years since 1966.

Also... would somebody please take note, once and for all, that my mother's name is Audrey, my father's name is Jack, and I'd be absolutely ****ing astounded if that ever changed between now and when I drop dead!!!...

****! What do you people do with all this information we keep having to provide??

I apologise, Mr. Minister. But I'm really ****ed off this morning. Between you and me, I've had enough of all this bull****! You send the application to my house, then you ask me for my ****ing address!! What the hell is going on with your mob? Have you got a gang of mindless Neanderthal arseholes working there!

And another thing, look at my damn picture... Do I look like Bin Laden? I can't even grow a beard for God's sakes. I just want to go to New Zealand and see my new granddaughter. (Yes, my son interbred with a Kiwi girl). And would someone please tell me, why would you give a **** whether or not I plan on visiting a farm in the next 15 days? In the unlikely event I ever got the urge to do something weird to a sheep or a horse, believe you me, I'd sure as hell not want to tell anyone!

Well, I have to go now, cause I have to go to the other end of the city, and get another****ing copy of my birth certificate - and to part with another $80 for the privilege of accessing MY OWN INFORMATION!

Would it be so complicated to have all the services in the same spot, to assist in the issuance of a new passport on the same day?? Nooooo.. that'd be too ****ing easy and makes far too much sense. You would much prefer to have us running all over the place like chickens with our****ing heads cut off, and then having to find some ' high-society ' wanker to confirm that it's really me in the goddamn photo! You know the photo... the one where we're not allowed to smile?! .... you ****ing morons.

Signed - An Irate Australian Citizen.

P.S. Remember what I said above about the picture, and getting someone in ' high-society ' to confirm that it's me? Well, my family has been in this country since before 1850! In 1856, one of my forefathers took up arms with Peter Lalor. (You do remember the Eureka Stockade!!)

I have also served in both the CMF and regular Army for something over 30 years (I went to Vietnam in 1967), and still have high security clearances. I'm also a personal friend of the president of the RSL... and Lt General Peter Cosgrove sends me a Christmas card each year.

However, your rules require that I have to get someone "important" to verify who I am; You know... someone like my doctor - WHO WAS BORN AND RAISED IN ****ING PAKISTAN !!!..... a country where they either assassinate or hang their ex-Prime Ministers - and are suspended from the Commonwealth for not having the "right sort of government".

You are all ****ing idiots!

• Like 3
  • Winner 5