Accident at Caboolture

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was very bad. Cosmick and myself saw it happen from my hangar and were first on the scene but the fire was too hot to use the extinguishers. I don't believe all on board survived the impact let alone the fire. It was a Skydivers 206 with 5 POB

• Helpful 1

I ran as fast as I could with an extinguisher in hand but it was a fateful effort, the heat was enormous and all the while I yelled if there was some still alive in the wreckage. It has rocked all of us to the core, and I knew the pilot and operator personally.

Respectfully, I won't comment further. But thanks to all those who also came to assist today- a huge tragedy so close and heartbreaking for all the famililies and local flying community.

Our sincerest thoughts are with everyone.

Some say it was a EFATO but all I know is what I first heard then turned and saw. My hangar has a good view of 06 and 12 especially the crossover of the two runways but I can not see the first 2/3 of 06 because of the hangars..the first we knew was the absolute full power scream of a fine pitch prop but seems to be much louder than normal and it was so loud it made us both immediately turn and look and the 206 was maybe 15 mtrs or so off the ground and it was in a steep climb but it looked really tail heavy you get what I mean if you have either seen model aircraft or full size one that has a bad rearward CG and the 206 went then almost vertical it then did a sort of stall turn come torque roll to the left over the top it then seemed the pilot pulled the power on the engine and by this time it was probably 50 or 60 metres off the ground and had no real airspeed then it basically fell out of the sky on its side but the nose went down and it hit sort of straight in but on the left wing as well. It basically wrapped its self up into a ball then about 10 seconds of so later as the dust was settling it started on fire we grabbed the extinguisher from the hanger and drove straight over. We got there first I pulled up about 20 or 30 metres from the site as soon as Mick opened the car door the heat blast was crazy and I knew then we couldn't really do anything except try to stop all the grass from starting a big grass fire. I did not see any people inside the wreck at all it was pretty crushed up and the main part was burning really hard and hot.

I am ok dont think I will have any issues over it except the sad bit about the pilot and the pax and their relatives. I think seeing what happened and pretty much knowing the aerodynamics behind it all it really isn't a big shock to me also realising I could not do anything to help the POB at the time no matter what you thought but if you didn't understand all about the technical side of things you may find it difficult to handle it.

But from what i witnessed I think it was most likely a weight and balance issue maybe the skydivers shifted inside to the rear on takeoff roll

• Informative 2

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks Mark, probabily would have been pretty quick for them unfortunatly. The old 206 is a good aeroplane especially at lifting loads it. Rear CG or maybe failure to select flap, could have done it. Even without the fire I don't think they would have made it from that height.

Sincere condolences to all involved. A sad loss of fellow adventurers.

Guest ozzie

Our skydiving community is in total shock tonight over this accident. Condolences to those who witnessed this tragedy.

Mark

Appreciate the insight into what happened and I also understand when you say it shouldn't have any adverse effect on you, you guys did all you could. Thanks for the update, and I'm not going to speculate what may have been the cause, I have spent a bit of time in 206's and they are as good as any for getting max loads off the ground safely.

Please pass on my condolences to all involved.

Aldo

It was just like any other day when suddenly following the events of a few seconds you know it is a day you will remember for the rest of you life. So sad that 5 enthusiastic people came to such a tragic end. My thoughts are with the families of the deceased and those of us who witnessed this first hand and have to rationalise the event in our own minds.

• Agree 3

for all you guys that saw, or were at the scene today, i strongly recommend getting some help to cope with the days events, you might feel fine, now, and in a week or so, but it will do an enormous amount of good to get some professional help. even just to talk about it, and dont be surprised if you get a call from an investigator. even talking to them can help not only yourself, but find closure for those more personally involved.

• Agree 3

About thirty years ago I did a weekend jump course in Melbourne I did my jump. And later we where watching the second load of jumpers and the short story is one got into trouble and was killed right in front of us. and it still seems like it was yesterday

I was in shock when I heard this on the news, I've seen that aircraft around the aerodrome a few times and from what I heard the pilot was a really nice guy. My condolences to everyone involved.

I'm not sure how I would be of assistance now that the authorities have stepped in, but if anyone needs a hand down there I am only a 40-minute drive away.

• Informative 1

Be careful guys, I have personal close up experience with a couple of large tragic events and it's not now but a bit later down the track that it creeps up on you when you start realising just how quickly life can be extinguished and you start looking at your own lot in life.

I'm not a big believer in professional help but don't feel shy to express yourselves to family, friends or here if you're feeling like crap, it will help.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

i have to agree with the people about seeking help.i have been personally involved with the rural fire brigade and have seen a few fatal vehicle crashes plus house fires here and interstate, thankfully no a/c accidents and had both saw and was first on seen to a motorcycle police officers death via truck accident,and felt fine for a while tilll the initial shock wore of then your emotions can catch up.every1 can handle things in a different way according to your experience in life but remember there are people there to help and talk to and can be a great idea to think about. a terrible loss of life of course and condolences to everyone involved as this will effect many people and families.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Horrible. Unfortunately I know how you guys feel. I don't wish it on anybody.

Tragic Travis news. Hopefully the investigation will lead to some changes. :(

Pm me if u want to talk dudes.

Trust me. You will need to.

• Agree 1

Guest ozzie

Can any of the witnesses confirm two aborted take offs immediately before accident. This may have been caused by incorrect trim setting not aft C o G.

Maybe the first respondents should get together with the jumpers and have a beer or three together.

Man this is sad!! know that plane a bit... even with landing trim set you should be able to correct that in time if everything was right. Wonder if the pilots seat was locked in properly on the runners. I guess we will never know...

Be safe everyone.

• Agree 1

Man this is sad!! know that plane a bit... even with landing trim set you should be able to correct that in time if everything was right. Wonder if the pilots seat was locked in properly on the runners. I guess we will never know...Be safe everyone.

Failure of the seat locks has happened before and as the nose comes up the seat goes all the way back and you can't overcome your own body weight because your legs are no longer below you.