jabiru down brisbane

Guest Andys@coffs

FT I can solve this problem by moving the fuel tanks out of the relatively thin chord wings and back into the fuselage, however in doing so I probably introduce W&B issues where there are none/minimal fuel related today and probably have to settle for a lower total fuel load...I'll stick with what I have and knowing the compromises I must therefore make, live with them. Knowing is the answer and understanding that aircraft are a combination of a whole sets of compromises. What is an Ok compromise for me may not be an Ok one for you and that's fine, cause otherwise we would all be flying the same thing.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The speedo doesn't work in my Jackaroo.

Tip - You need the cable connected to make the speedo work, I have had a few over the years like this, but they have less k's on them when you go to sell them. Makes it easier to get fined for speeding though.

• Caution 1

"As always we see comment about how good the 912 is, however just 20 hp short of powering many Jabirus.

My point being, the arguabley most popoular and universally aclaimed fuse in australian RAA aircraft, j230, canot be powered by the engine rotax supporters promote."

I disagree jet jr. A 912s will perform equally or better than a jab 3300 in a 230 airframe if fitted with a CS prop. I regularly take off using only 100hp at a higher gross wt than RAAus allows with more than acceptable performance. ie 650kg with 800 plus ft/min. There are many airframes of similar wt to the j230 that perform well with the 912s. Tom

• Like 2

Tip - You need the cable connected to make the speedo work, I have had a few over the years like this, but they have less k's on them when you go to sell them. Makes it easier to get fined for speeding though.

Yep no cable wires instead, gearbox part is working, got to get around to pulling the dial out of the dash next.

Who needs brumby parts? Anyway, we cant all use parts from supercheap.

Merv: help will soon be at hand for your parts-supply envy problem! Bunnings have a buy policy that basically says to China: 'send 20 containers of anything'. I reckon you can confidently expect that there will be Brumby parts shelf on Aisle 24, stuck between the Pool Cleaner equipment and the 16-burner Barbeques, (and with the caveat of the fact that the ACTUAL part you need is not there - it never bloody is at Bunnings) - you'll be jake! And Selleys will have 'Brumby in a tube' parts anyway, very soon. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Haha 2
  • Caution 1

I will rest easy knowing at least, finally, someone, somewhere is trying to fix the problem.

Merv - commiseration.

It would appear, from the comments of Andy and Don, that the CEO is 'off the hook' in regard to an official RAA jihad against Jabiru. Now, I would hope that an official comment from said CEO that the comment reported was false will be forthcoming, but even without that it looks as if your peaceful nights are off the agenda - again. I'd like to say that I share your pain - but we both know that that would be a continuance of bullsh1T, wouldn't we? Still, chin up, me old China, maybe one day it will happen. If the Heavens are warming up - as we are informed - than Hell will be experiencing a significant drop in its ambient. Possibly even enough to induce Carby ice?

What is more of an issue here which hasn't been mentioned is the perception of unsafe practices that people will have of the RAA operation at Archerfield. Yes this has been the second crash with this aircraft but they have also had another making three incidents. The pilot used his training, skill and a huge amount of good luck to manoeuvre the aircraft to a successful landing (any landing you can walk away from is supposed to be OK, right?) but really, is their operating regime flawed? For instance, using mogas in an aircraft where weather conditions could increase the risk of carby icing or was it a case of having too much air in the tanks? Comments locally at Archerfield seem to support the later, so was proper flight planning carried out to ensure enough fuel carried for flight and reserves?

Ok so Don has said 100% definitely not out of fuel but my question (sorry for dredging a post so far back)

How much difference does Mogas make to Carby icing?

To be blunt there is only 1 filling volume that I personally believe you can take to the bank and that's full..Andy

Sorry to be argumentive Andy but I believe there are two volumes you can take to the bank one is full the other is empty.

Trouble is taking empty to the bank could find you cashing it in.......... (That sounded better in my head. I know after dons post fuel levels are irrelevant in this thread just couldn't hold it in.)

Ok so Don has said 100% definitely not out of fuel but my question (sorry for dredging a post so far back)How much difference does Mogas make to Carby icing?

I don't think it does ?

But I'm no x/spert

Merv: help will soon be at hand for your parts-supply envy problem! Bunnings have a buy policy that basically says to China: 'send 20 containers of anything'. I reckon you can confidently expect that there will be Brumby parts shelf on Aisle 24, stuck between the Pool Cleaner equipment and the 16-burner Barbeques, (and with the caveat of the fact that the ACTUAL part you need is not there - it never bloody is at Bunnings) - you'll be jake! And Selleys will have 'Brumby in a tube' parts anyway, very soon. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Oscar... What the hell are you on old sport? Can I get some please? What a rant about nothing.. Really? Bunnings?

The RAA are 'taking steps' buddy, I recall warning you of this several months ago, and was met with similar self serving, rambling librarian, jabiru share selling rubbish from you then.

Read between the lines and suck it up sweet heart. How long did you and your buddies think this would go on for? Youu can fool the punters, but not people that acuatlly know what they are talking about and operate these ...Cough...Engines, daily..

Im glad the CEO or as he stated ( the RAA) has written to CASA. Change is in the air my learned friend, change that will only improve safety, which is what we all want isnt it?

• Agree 3

Ok so Don has said 100% definitely not out of fuel but my question (sorry for dredging a post so far back)How much difference does Mogas make to Carby icing?

Pretty simple really when you think about it, If your buying mogas, there is the possibility of contamination at the bowser with ethanol which infuses with water very well and with icing conditions prevalent on the day could have been as simple as that to stop the donk if it wasn't empty tanks as was quoted to me from people at Archerfield and I'm not saying they are 100% right neither, Engine ran fine after it was recovered so what needs to be determined is why the pistons weren't getting the fuel/air mixture to support combustion..

• Like 1

Oscar sounds educated

That cannot be debated

He likes to tickle the nerve

Of the famous forumite Merv

He does like his Jabs

He says CAMits are fab

Our knowledge compared to his, pales

His vocabulary never fails

Makes me wonder what he is sellin

Is his last name really Llewellyn?

008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Oscar your probably a nice bloke

This post is meant to be a joke

016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Oscar sounds educatedThat cannot be debated

He likes to tickle the nerve

Of the famous forumite Merv

He does like his Jabs

He says CAMits are fab

Our knowledge compared to his, pales

His vocabulary never fails

Makes me wonder what he is sellin

Is his last name really Llewellan?

008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Oscar your probably a nice bloke

This post is meant to be a joke

016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

I've my suspicions also , there's more that one on this forum ?

Can you still buy a car that doesn't have a working fuel gauge?

Good question FT. The Europeans are pretty strict about the reliability of car fuel gauges. Basically a fuel flow meter, the one in our French car is dead accurate, and the one in my plane is pretty good too.

. . . you have no hope of getting a factory Rotax.

If it is a type certified aircraft (not LSA) you could buy a Jab from the factory and register it 24 and then get the CAR 21M authority to swap out the Jab engine for a Rotax. Pretty pricey exercise . . .