Whats your favourite fixed wing recreational aircraft?

recflyer

I carnt wate for someone else to have a fly of the Avocet ,Ive had the title of being the only one in the history of the world to have flown her !

Ill wate for a second opinion befor a detailed spec and flight performance announcement .

Im happy with the way it flys , no bad habits.

Mike.

I really like the sleek look of the avocet and the engine above would make it great for dirt strips. Great work mike.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's interesting Mike.Just how does one go about getting endorsed in the Avocet by an instructor, if the instuctor is not endorsed?

Unless you are an instuctor?

Put me down for#2 when you work it out

Phil

Not clear what the issue is - from legal endorsements it a fixed tri-gear 3axis with fixed prop .... anyone with a pilots certificate that covers those is cleared to fly it.

As for getting cleared - either Mike sits in the other seat and talks you through in flight or gives a briefing beforehand and lets you just have a go.

Eg - I have briefed a student trained on Drifter into a single seat flying flea with just an a 'how does it differ from what I know you've flown' ... he came back in one piece ... and his first flight was a damn sight less terrorizing to watch than mine was ... and I was the instructor!

The Avocet is based around core Jabiru components is my understanding, its flight characteristics will be similar/relatable to Jabiru and basically anyone who has flown it (Mike) and flown a Jabiru (Mike) could brief you on whats going to be different eg elevator is stronger/weaker, float is more/less etc. Then its up to the owner (Mike) to be happy to let you have a go

• Like 2

You do not need a specific endorsement on an aircraft (with some exceptions in GA) IF you have the endorsements the type needs.. ie tri gear 3 axis HP. I don't know if the prop is CS . No one signs you out on a type. Some people do present their log book with Types signed off. Not needed but If it makes you feel happier, do it. You summary records your dual and solo at certain time intervals on particular types if you wish it to.

No one but an instructor in RAAus can instruct you OFFICIALLY. Private pilots and above in some circumstances are permitted and can record endorsements on unusual planes in GA.. Don't have to be a trained/ current instructor.

Whether the owner or operator of a plane allows you to fly it is up to them. A certain amount of diligence might be expected, one would think. Nev

I

I carnt wate for someone else to have a fly of the Avocet ,Ive had the title of being the only one in the history of the world to have flown her !

Ill wate for a second opinion befor a detailed spec and flight performance announcement .

Im happy with the way it flys , no bad habits.

Mike.

I 've only managed to fly to Adelaide a couple of times, a long way from north Queensland, but should I get down that way again I would certainly include a detour via Mikes strip.

• Like 1

You do not need a specific endorsement on an aircraft (with some exceptions in GA) IF you have the endorsements the type needs.. ie tri gear 3 axis HP. I don't know if the prop is CS . No one signs you out on a type. Some people do present their log book with Types signed off. Not needed but If it makes you feel happier, do it. You summary records your dual and solo at certain time intervals on particular types if you wish it to.No one but an instructor in RAAus can instruct you OFFICIALLY. Private pilots and above in some circumstances are permitted and can record endorsements on unusual planes in GA.. Don't have to be a trained/ current instructor.

Whether the owner or operator of a plane allows you to fly it is up to them. A certain amount of diligence might be expected, one would think. Nev

Unfortunately RAAus (unlike GA) have seen fit to make type endorsement (based on handling characteristics) compulsory in the latest RAAus Ops manual. See below.

RAAus OPS MANUAL SECTION 2.01.5

Endorsements based on aeroplane characteristics

TYPE TRAINING

13. No Pilot Certificate holder shall operate a recreational aeroplane as pilot in command without having demonstrated competency on Type. Aeroplane Type Training must be undertaken with an RA-Aus Examiner who holds the respective aeroplane group and type.

The RA-Aus Examiner is required to make an entry into the pilot’s logbook detailing confirmation of the training undertaken and achievement of competency in accordance with Section 2.02 of this manual.

Note: Logbook entries showing a minimum of 2 hours pilot in command of an aeroplane type recorded prior to Issue 7 of this manual will be accepted as evidence of appropriate type training for that aeroplane.

Unfortunately RAAus (unlike GA) have seen fit to make type endorsement (based on handling characteristics) compulsory in the latest RAAus Ops manual. See below.RAAus OPS MANUAL SECTION 2.01.5

Endorsements based on aeroplane characteristics

TYPE TRAINING

13. No Pilot Certificate holder shall operate a recreational aeroplane as pilot in command without having demonstrated competency on Type. Aeroplane Type Training must be undertaken with an RA-Aus Examiner who holds the respective aeroplane group and type.

The RA-Aus Examiner is required to make an entry into the pilot’s logbook detailing confirmation of the training undertaken and achievement of competency in accordance with Section 2.02 of this manual.

Note: Logbook entries showing a minimum of 2 hours pilot in command of an aeroplane type recorded prior to Issue 7 of this manual will be accepted as evidence of appropriate type training for that aeroplane.

By type they mean Tri gear or Tail wheel, A/c with retracts and or CS prop.Not each individual aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

By type they mean Tri gear or Tail wheel, A/c with retracts and or CS prop.Not each individual aircraft.

Unfortunately they go deeper that that. Type also takes into account handling characteristics. RAAus Ops have stated that if you learnt on a J160 you would need a type endorsement to fly say a Savannah. Common sense to get checked out on different aircraft but they have removed the ability of experienced pilots (say CFIs) to self endorse. Definition of type from ops manual is below. In my opinion this will come back to bite if an incident occurs and a pilot has not been formally type endorsed as per the ops manual. Don't take my word for it, ask Ops.

Aeroplane Type

Aeroplane undercarriage configuration, design features, flight envelope (e.g. high drag/low drag and considerations of inertia), stall speeds and normal/emergency handling characteristics as designated by the manufacturer.

• Like 1

Unfortunately they go deeper that that. Type also takes into account handling characteristics. RAAus Ops have stated that if you learnt on a J160 you would need a type endorsement to fly say a Savannah. Common sense to get checked out on different aircraft but they have removed the ability of experienced pilots (say CFIs) to self endorse. Definition of type from ops manual is below. In my opinion this will come back to bite if an incident occurs and a pilot has not been formally type endorsed as per the ops manual. Don't take my word for it, ask Ops.

Aeroplane Type

Aeroplane undercarriage configuration, design features, flight envelope (e.g. high drag/low drag and considerations of inertia), stall speeds and normal/emergency handling characteristics as designated by the manufacturer.

Maybe they go deeper for you but not for me.

• Like 1

Maybe they go deeper for you but not for me.

It's not a question of you or me, it's what the insurance company and coroner will make of it. I think the type endorsement requirement in the new ops manual is wrong, people should be make aware of it and lobby for a change.

It's not a question of you or me, it's what the insurance company and coroner will make of it. I think the type endorsement requirement in the new ops manual is wrong, people should be make aware of it and lobby for a change.

Oh I am not saying you are wrong or anything, it is just that I ignore stupid silly rules.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1