Whats your favourite fixed wing recreational aircraft?

recflyer

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil,

I fly the ninety mile beach often, I have seen a little grass strip near Woodside that runs parallel to the beach but its only short, the other strips associated along the ninety mile are Yarram, (Kalimna & great Lakes) at Lakes Entrance, Orbost (Marlo) which is about 600m in from the beach & Mallacoota, other than that well if there is more I am going blind.

Alf

• Informative 1

• 2 months later...
I would be interested to hear what is everyones personal favourite recreational aircraft?I am interested as I would like to do a podcast on the top 5 favourite rec aircraft in Australia talking about their great qualities and characteristics.

If you could describe why That woukd be great as well. Ie: stable, good range etc

After flying other aircraft jumping back into the faithfull Jodel is tops. You can get old in a Jodel and have a lot of fun on the way. Chas

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

After flying other aircraft jumping back into the faithfull Jodel is tops. You can get old in a Jodel and have a lot of fun on the way. Chas

Hi Chas - good to see you on board - its about time we had a flight report on the Governor now that its finally flown - how about it?

Graeme

Hi Chas - good to see you on board - its about time we had a flight report on the Governor now that its finally flown - how about it?Graeme

Hello Graham, its flown for four short flights and has not been over 500 ft. I dont want to scare it just yet. No wing heavyness, no buffet from the leading edge radiator. Ailerons feel good. Drooped of course. And that big elevator. Well quite nice, no buffet with no counter weight. The trim makes it very stable. I will reduce the travel a little. Split flaps are great. Ah yes the engine, pulls it off the ground in 600 ft at 40mph, very quiet and nothing vibrates. Prop is an Ian Henry. It does need a bit more cooling and am doing that now. IDI diesels generate more heat than others but are not as harsh. Landing is a breeze. The big bugger was back at 45 mph with flap and rock solid. hHowever lots to learn, Chas

• Informative 1

Phil,I fly the ninety mile beach often, I have seen a little grass strip near Woodside that runs parallel to the beach but its only short, the other strips associated along the ninety mile are Yarram, (Kalimna & great Lakes) at Lakes Entrance, Orbost (Marlo) which is about 600m in from the beach & Mallacoota, other than that well if there is more I am going blind. Alf

Thanks Alf,. . . I Honestly can't remember the name of the strip, but getting the C-210 in and out with 4 of us on board, was not a problem so It couldn't have been an overly tiny strip. . . it wasn't as far East as Lakes Entrance, as I remember flying over that soon after the weather improved and we continued on our merry way to Merimbula.

The "Round the coast" route was asked for by one of the passengers who was a keen photographer - bit longer but very pretty route . . . Never mind, I'll have to peruse Google Earth. . . . .

Phil

Just checked the old log from feb 26 1977, C-210 VH-IWK 3 pax. - the entry says : Berwick- Merimbula, routeing via Wilson's Prom, WX Ldg. Orbost.

Well, I think that's cleared that up then Alf. . . ! Just looked at the Orbost strip on GE, but I don't remember any tarmac there, I was sure it was grass. . .( Yeah but you were also sure it was the other side of Lakes Entrance you old Dork Perry ! )

Thanks for that Alf. . . was hoping this is what happened. There was noone home when we landed, totally deserted. just a shack with plenty of tinned food, coffee tea and powdered milk plus the bottled gas stove - and an honesty box for visitors. We DID gratefully add to it, as had to wait three hours for the storm to pass thru. There were a couple of bunk beds too, so quite a nice little setup for any roving swaggies. . . top marks for whoever set it up / ran it.

Phil

• Agree 2

1. I rather like the Jabiru LSA55 - or any other Jab

2. Foxbat a22

25. I would like to love the Lightwing but there is a problem (will this ever end?) with the propellor on all that I would like to train on. Maybe I should just go to Orange and train on a C-140

I have only ever seen a real storch in action. Looks like a fun machine and the votes for the Slescev version make me want to hunt one down

• Like 1

1. I rather like the Jabiru LSA55 - or any other Jab2. Foxbat a22

25. I would like to love the Lightwing but there is a problem (will this ever end?) with the propellor on all that I would like to train on. Maybe I should just go to Orange and train on a C-140

I have only ever seen a real storch in action. Looks like a fun machine and the votes for the Slescev version make me want to hunt one down

We had a guy fly in to our place two years ago,. . .he was an Austrian bloke who had designed and built his own aircraft. A very nice low wing type, Rotax 912 / 100 hp with retractable U/C AND ELECTRONIC AUTOPILOT as well. . . he looked like he was around a hundred years old, but he was actually working as a Storch pilot in Ww2 delivering various senior officers to places all over the theatre of war, . . .finally being shot down by some fancy wag in a Hurricane in 1944, getting really badly injured in the resulting crash and seeing out the rest of the war in hospital.

We were asking him about the Storch ( the real ones ) and he said they required "some care" to land, as the massive suspension travel on the undercarriage legs could not be relied upon to save you if you got it wrong. . .apparently, new pilots had a habit of trying to keep the main wheels off the ground for too long, then stalling and causing the tail wheel to strike the ground first, which ( he said ) was very bad,. . .this could and often did, damage the rear fuselage, as they were not all that strong in that department.

He reckoned that the only safe way to land the type as a standard three point touchdown, allowing the suspension travel to do it's job,. . .but making sure that the tailwheel didn't contact first. . . .my wag friend Tony said. . ." er, how many hours did you have on type ?" he said,. . ."every day for seven years" . . . . best put down I've ever heard !

I don't know if the Slepcev Storch has the same foibles, but since it isn't powered by a 285 HP engine, and is probably less than half the weight of the original, then I would imagine it doesn't break so easily, less inertia. . . . .?

If you decide to train on a C-140, that would put you in good stead to fly any metal tailwheel aeroplane Col,. . .if you do,. . let us know how you get on. I've only flown one once, and even then not solo, but it was a lovely little aircraft to fly, with no apparent vices at all. . . .( except in a crosswind !)

Phil

Have flown all of the single C- taildraggers after that one, and lovely they are,. . . if you happen to like flying aircraft of that U/C configuration. . . .but it would be really SAD if you were forced to fly an ORANGE one. . . . .! wot a horrible colour. . . .

****Edited to add**** 3 weeks ago I was able to fly a C-180 Classic taildragger, pictures of this particular aeroplane posted elsewhere o this site recently. . .what a BEAUTIFUL piece of machinery. . . . on final, the owner said to me ( lovely bloke this. . .) "Please be careful,. . .It's only insured for me. . . . .!" Oh yeah,. . .make me feel good why dontcha. . . .! just glad I didn't get the fuel bill ! ! ! ! ! Anyway, I Failed to bend it ( Na Nah NA Nah Nah. . .! )

• Like 2

You simply cannot beat a J-3 Cub for general handling. Flown solo from the rear seat, which provides excellent perspective for judging attitudes and feeling whether in balance. The ability to fly with the entry door open is great too. A real classic and absolute joy to fly!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Guest Maj Millard
Can't beat a drifter with a 582, I've had my drifter for 8 years and love it. I have had not one ounce of trouble, she just runs like a well oiled machine - she's a beauty.[ATTACH=full]34900[/ATTACH]

I owned 25-0452 for eleven years ...never let me down once. Unfortunately she was lost in the tragic mid-air earlier this year in the Townsville area.

• 3 weeks later...

If you love the RV7, have you flown the RV4 and if so how does it compare. A friend flew my 4 recently and said it was nicer than the 6, 7, and 8. Having only 40 mins in a 7 I can't comment.

• 10 months later...

How about a Rans S-7S Courier. A modern aircraft built in the tradition of a Cub. Doors closed or open, cruise at 85 knots or slow her down and land on a tennis court. Best of all the little wheel is in the correct spot

image.jpeg.4bfdc815b40f750c6ea6039a51631dd4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The Rans S-7 is a great plane . Like all Rans, a quality build. I still haven't made up my mind, but it would be a Drifter 582 SB, a Zlin Savage Cub, Rans S-7,Jabiru 230 as the FOUR, I like being practical from what's available at a reasonable price. The Eurofox would be next. It's taken me all this time to come to a conclusion after reading everyone else's contribution. Nev