Whats your favourite fixed wing recreational aircraft?

recflyer

I would be interested to hear what is everyones personal favourite recreational aircraft?

I am interested as I would like to do a podcast on the top 5 favourite rec aircraft in Australia talking about their great qualities and characteristics.

If you could describe why That woukd be great as well. Ie: stable, good range etc

• Like 1

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not many people that I know have. Very nice to fly roomy forgiving very short take off and landing. In my opinion shorter than the Foxbat. It should be even better with the Rotax. Ask me in a few weeks.

• Like 1

Maybe 5 isn't enough.

I was trying to think of the different styles, in no particular order!!

1, a jab, don't know enough about them to suggest a model but on numbers you would need to include one

2, a stol, I love the hornet (obviously) but there are quiet a few others savannahs/foxbats/highlanders ect

3, a trike, can't leave them out

4,a powered parachute, can't leave them out either

5, a drifter or thruster variant, how could we even think of ignoring our heritage

6, maybe a non jab low wing like a Tecnam or SportsStar or pioneer or Bristol

7, and what about single seat models like a jodel or similar?

Each different category has its good and bad points and each one will suit some people more than others for a multitude of reasons.

• Like 2

I always thought those Spacewalkers looked nice. From what I've flown, the tecnam golf was nice. the Jab J1x0 is where i spent most my limited time so its a sentimental favourite.

The spacewalkers look awesome! I will have to look further into tthese.this aircraft.

Maybe 5 isn't enough.I was trying to think of the different styles, in no particular order!!

1, a jab, don't know enough about them to suggest a model but on numbers you would need to include one

2, a stol, I love the hornet (obviously) but there are quiet a few others savannahs/foxbats/highlanders ect

3, a trike, can't leave them out

4,a powered parachute, can't leave them out either

5, a drifter or thruster variant, how could we even think of ignoring our heritage

6, maybe a non jab low wing like a Tecnam or SportsStar or pioneer or Bristol

7, and what about single seat models like a jodel or similar?

Each different category has its good and bad points and each one will suit some people more than others for a multitude of reasons.

I agree about the jab! It must be in there somewhere.

1. Just aircraft superstol (most fun)2. Pipistrel virus sw (fast and economical)

3. Jab 230 (cheap, comfortable, stable)

4. Vans rv8 or 4 (ramp appeal, taily, acro, fast)

5. Mooney 201 (fast, stable, economical...for GA)

Great list. Sounds like a single engine piston hangar of dreams....

• Agree 1

Guest Russell1

The Fisher Youngster Bi-plane. It was predicted in a whole string of Nostradamus Quatrains that late in the 2oth century or very early 21st century that there would occur a birthing of a noble machine able to convey a man upward and away into the great void toward heaven. And then it came to pass such a machine was born to the Fisher family of Dakota USA with clones finding their way into the lives of discerning pilots around the great expanse of this dirt ball that we call home.

The Fisher Youngster Bi-plane. It was predicted in a whole string of Nostradamus Quatrains that late in the 2oth century or very early 21st century that there would occur a birthing of a noble machine able to convey a man upward and away into the great void toward heaven. And then it came to pass such a machine was born to the Fisher family of Dakota USA with clones finding their way into the lives of discerning pilots around the great expanse of this dirt ball that we call home.

Nice looking aircraft. Do you have one, how does she fly?

The aircraft 'love of my life' is my 1946 Champ but because the marque is so rare in Oz I can't fairly include it in my listing so.... of the RAA aircraft that I've owned over the years my next all time favourite would have to be the 2-seater, T-300 Thruster. Low entry price, easy and cheap to maintain, fun open-air flying but with a requirement for 'heads-up'/no complacency operation. My choice perhaps influenced by it being my first aircraft (and still have a Gemini). The rest of the cast in order of appearance were/are: T-300, Flightstar Pioneer, Lightwing 912GR, Hummelbird, Gemini, Skydart, Sapphire and Champ. Only one I wasn't comfortable with was the Hummelbird as it well exceeded my capabilities at the time. There is a Fisher Celebrity Biplane being added to the list next month so may have to review the standings in a year's time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I carnt wate for someone else to have a fly of the Avocet ,

Ive had the title of being the only one in the history of the world to have flown her !

Ill wate for a second opinion befor a detailed spec and flight performance announcement .

Im happy with the way it flys , no bad habits.

Mike.

• Like 2

I carnt wate for someone else to have a fly of the Avocet ,Ive had the title of being the only one in the history of the world to have flown her !

Ill wate for a second opinion befor a detailed spec and flight performance announcement .

Im happy with the way it flys , no bad habits.

Mike.

That's interesting Mike.

Just how does one go about getting endorsed in the Avocet by an instructor, if the instuctor is not endorsed?

Unless you are an instuctor?

Put me down for#2 when you work it out

Phil

• Like 1