Whats your favourite fixed wing recreational aircraft?

recflyer

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said. Thats a lot of features in one aicraft. It sounds like it almost jumps in the air. 140m is quite short. What speeds do you generally aim for on final, short final and the flare?

Hi recflyer. I usually pull on full flap under 75 knots on late base to final. As a former glider pilot, I tend to set up for a rather high but steep final (which helps keep me above any unseen power lines at unfamiliar ALA's). Sideslips with full flaps are permitted, and they are well mannered, thanks to the hanging flaperon config. Once over the threshold fence I'm generally just under 60 knots, and really washing off this excess speed on a longish & flat flare to my aiming point. The main gear is robust and wide, so stability on the ground is good. There is still good control authority upon touchdown to keep the nosewheel off as I tend to do at my local (often wet) grass strip (YLIL).

Soft field take-offs I do with full flaperon (yes, full...) Being full length, the maximum flap angle is only around 15 degrees, so it is more lift, than drag producing. Though I haven't actually measured it, solo with under 1/4 tanks, I'm off a hard surface in around 80 metres, I estimate. I hope this is the info you wanted. Horsham Aviation are the (very capable) agents for Eurofox in Australia, if you want to follow-up on this aircraft further. I also have them do all my maintenance, and they are as meticulous as the factory that builds them. Happy flying...

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

My choise is the Corby Starlet. Without a doubt it is a pilots aeroplane, whatever it does it does well, with very little need to push and shove. It is cheap to run, 12litres per hour would be the absolute max fuel throughput and I average 10 litres. General maintenance is easy and cheap. It takes up little space in the hangar, but best of all it is FUN.

• Like 2

My choise is the Corby Starlet. Without a doubt it is a pilots aeroplane, whatever it does it does well, with very little need to push and shove. It is cheap to run, 12litres per hour would be the absolute max fuel throughput and I average 10 litres. General maintenance is easy and cheap. It takes up little space in the hangar, but best of all it is FUN.

Nice! I wish I had one. Love the colour two, definitely would turn a few heads at a fly in.

Guest Howard Hughes
Here are the votes so far:Jabiru: 6

Lightwing: 5

Drifter: 3

Thruster: 2

Savannah: 2

Slepcev Storch: 2

Vans: 2

There were lots of other single votes...

I will do a more detailed count once there are more votes.

And Foxbat?

Clearly it's not a beauty contest! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Our sponsors product looks pretty good for mine! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Guest Howard Hughes
Yes, that Tucano is hard to beat for looks. I'm tempted. Anyone know what the Euro is worth now? 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gifrgmwa

51507 Euro equals 71687.20 Australian Dollar!

*source = Google Finance

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, sentimentally, the AT115 Victa Airtourer.

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments PA,. . . I have, thus far, NEVER found an aircraft that could turn 360 deg. in such a small space.

Mind you, that was on the ground at Berwick, when I forgot to untie one of the wingtip ropes on VH-RSI from the ground anchor. . . . .

• Haha 5
  • Informative 1

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments PA,. . . I have, thus far, NEVER found an aircraft that could turn 360 deg. in such a small space.Mind you, that was on the ground at Berwick, when I forgot to untie one of the wingtip ropes on VH-RSI from the ground anchor. . . . .

The Grumman American Tiger is not bad. With a castoring nosewheel, I have 360'd one on the taxiway at Bankstown (when there was no other traffic on that taxiway). Just stand on one brake and round she goes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The Grumman American Tiger is not bad. With a castoring nosewheel, I have 360'd one on the taxiway at Bankstown (when there was no other traffic on that taxiway). Just stand on one brake and round she goes.

I used to rent one of those at Moorabbin, nice aeroplane. . . but occasionally the nosewheel would shimmy quite badly on landing, so the nosewheel had to be held off the tarmac for as long as physically possible to prevent it shaking yer dentures out. . . . ( should do that anyway . . .I know. . .I know. . ) ** And before some wag says it first. . . "probably because the wheel should be at the back, not the front. . ."

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Can't beat a drifter with a 582, I've had my drifter for 8 years and love it. I have had not one ounce of trouble, she just runs like a well oiled machine - she's a beauty.016.JPG.7384939ebbf70662e7a9fd9f567b605b.JPG

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

Top 5 aircraft

Thanks to all the awesome people who responded!

Obviously the results are not statistical in nature but who is willing to come and talk about their favourite aircraft on the show? The idea is to do a countdown on the show and talk about pros/cons/cost/characteristics of each aircraft. You don't need to own it, just love it /know a bit about the aircraft and are happy to talk about it for a couple of minutes.

1. Jabiru - 6

2. Lightwing - 5

3. Drifter - 4

4/5. All of the below with two votes were tied for the 4th and 5th spots (any thoughts on how to break the deadlock? (flip a coin/ any last comments?)

Two votes:

Thruster

Foxbat

Superstol

Morgan

Xair

Corby Starlet

Flying Legend Tucano

Lots of honourable mentions (only one vote) - Skyleader 500, Spacewalker, Tecnam Golf, Stol, Pipistrel Virus, Sportstar, Jodel, Fisher Youngster, Champ, Flightstar Pioneer, HummelBird, Skydart, Sapphire, Avocet, SW51 Mustang, Sonex, Blackburn prime, Slepchev Storch, Skyfox, bush caddy, Tipsy Nipper, Eurofox 3k, 750 Cruzer.

Thanks again!

Links to the podcast

Subscribe: iTunes

• Like 1

I'd like to add a last comment for the Flying Legend Tucano, whilst I haven't actually seen one the concept has certainly got my interest, and if I had the time I would be ordering the kit now.

I think this may be something I see myself taking on as a project in 5-10 years time. In the meantime, I'll just keep looking at the Australian build blog and dream...

• Like 1

Alternatively if you don't want to come on the show send me your comments about your aircraft (either here or via pm) and I can read them out on the show. If you don't want your name read out that's ok too Just let me know.

• 4 weeks later...

I am surprised at the two votes list being short and also that it includes the Sorby Starlet. I would have thought that there would be many more types with more votes, considering the comparative rarity of the Corby.

• Like 1

My Lightwing Gr 582 [ATTACH=full]35458[/ATTACH]

Lovely looking aeroplane Doug. . . . . shame we never had any in the UK. . . . . . all our "Early" types resemble summat out of the "Those Magnificent Men" movie. . .! ! Apart from, that is,. . .the Tiger Cub Biplane . . .

But these were sold as part - kit,. . .Part plansbuilt machines, BEFORE the prototype had even flown. . .! Such was the scene way back when. . .it turned out to be far too short coupled, and had to have the fuselage extended by fourteen inches ( wozzat in dollars ? ) to make it even half stable, and it killed and injured quite a lot of people back in the days before the BMAA ad any sensible standards. . . . we've got an original one, which I have personally flown,. . .or rather, crapped myself in. . . .I'll try and get a photo as it used to be in the Boulton and Paul museum in Wolverhampton, but that closed down last year, and I dunno where thy've put the inmates yet. . . . . Anyway,. . .that looks like a nice flat beach for larrikin landings, from what I can see of it in your picture. . . .

Speaking of beach landings,. . . .I just had a memory fart,. . . .Does anyone know the name of a little airstrip about halfway down ninety mile beach, East of Melbourne,. . . where you can land and eat the tucker, then leave some dollars in the honesty box ? ? ? I landed there a looong time ago, enroute to Merimbula, when I got caught in some rather low cloud. . . . . good grass strip. . .just a couple of hundred metres inland from the beach. . . .few lakes / inlets between it and the beach If I remember correctly. . . .wonder if it's still there ? ? ?

Phil