Bogged down on Lake Eyre

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently according to the news, the sea rey is getting air lifted out by chopper.

Hope they don`t drop it!

Reminded me of what happened to a guy up here, years ago. His Pioneer Flight Star, had an engine failure shortly after taking off from a friends property and ended up in some light rain forest. It sustained hardly any damage but to get it out was going to be a real problem so he decide to lift it out with a helicopter. The chopper lifted it well above the trees but somehow he dropped it, and that was the end of his beloved Flight Star.

Frank.

Hope they don`t drop it!

They did drop it, on purpose as it was getting out of control apparently!

What a mess... written off now.

searay.jpg.33864c86bf31be050c315cebbcb19586.jpg

The tracks in #1 looked like a typical bog pattern to me Tomo, whether in an aircraft, a 4WD off road bike or horse.

The going fine phase

The Oh Sh!t phase

The attempted 180 turn phase

The hard evidence of tracks when you don't make it back out of the bog.

• Agree 1

Bugger they Did ........... sad end to a nice little craft ,,,,good new no one was in her at the end ..

Hope they don`t drop it!Reminded me of what happened to a guy up here, years ago. His Pioneer Flight Star, had an engine failure shortly after taking off from a friends property and ended up in some light rain forest. It sustained hardly any damage but to get it out was going to be a real problem so he decide to lift it out with a helicopter. The chopper lifted it well above the trees but somehow he dropped it, and that was the end of his beloved Flight Star.

Frank.

I knew of a guy in the early 90"s that landed there to on roll out nosed over and did a prop in . He had enough supplies to stay with the plane while then got a new prop sent and got a set of skies and fitted to the sky fox . Around about 10 days later he flew it out and had all the photo,s to show us . He said once you broke the salt crust there was no bottom to the mud . The sea ray will be miss as hangers right beside my savannah at caboolture

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a terrible string of misfortune.

Reminds me of many years ago when a helicopter was used to rescue a glider from a swamp in NT somewhere near Darwin.

The glider was lifted out to a safe location and gently lowered to the ground. All OK so far.

Then the chopper pilot dropped the lifting gear for recovery......... Straight through the wing of the glider.

Then, on the way back to base, the chopper had an engine failure and was ditched onto a mud flat in Darwin Harbor that went under water at high tide.

Both glider and chopper insured by the same company.

I wish I could remember the details properly. Somebody probably has a better recollection than I. I think the Glider was a Ka6 and the chopper a Jet Ranger.

Robert