Going Solo

Reading in another thread the topic of going solo came up.

It asked a couple of questions.

When did you go solo.

Past experience.

Did you feel ready or do you think you should have gone hours earlier.

How did you feel when the Instructor got out.

Comments.

So for me:-

When? I went solo at 13.5 hours. Although to be honest at that stage I was not counting time. I was totally immersed in the feeling of learning.

Past Experience? I had no past experience to fall back on other than an unrealistic fear of heights which was to bite me in the bum later on. (oh and back in a past life I had done 5 parachute jumps, of which 3 included freefall of 5, 15 and 30 seconds, 30 years ago).

Was I ready? Good question. I felt that I was good to go probably 1 cct before it actually happened. Yes I think I was ready no I don't think I was overdone.

How did I feel. Confident, Nervous, Excited, and just a little bit Nervous. At no stage though did I think that I wasn't ready. I had confidence in the CFI and felt certain that he would not have sent me were I not ready.

Comments? For me it was a great experience but to be honest I felt that the job was not completed, I did not get a real sense of fulfillment until I had completed my Navs. That was the day that I really felt I had achieved my goal of being a pilot.

Having said all that I now feel there is a further step that really does give me confidence but that may be a story for another day.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that you thought the Nav a greater milestone than the solo, Geoff.

I remember being pretty disillusioned on the 5th morning of my intensive intro to gliding. I was still making mistakes and not getting any better. After one circuit I was ready to cut my losses and give up. Perhaps the instructor realised this; he suddenly got out and closed the canopy! The exhilaration of that flight is still fresh, as is my first solo Nav.

Was I ready? No. The instructor had not yet introduced me to several basic skills, but he elected to take a risk. I'm glad he did, or my flying career might have ended there.

• Like 4

I can't remember the exact hours, I can't even remember roughly, I'll have to check my logbook later.

Did I feel ready? Yes and no. Looking back now I would say I was ready but even back then I had the feeling that I still had so much to learn (actually I still have so much to learn now but that is beside the point) and that was what made me question myself. My instructor (not a CFI at that time) came across as being very confident for me and once I did the check flight with the CFI he also came across that way which was in hindsight a great moral boost.

How did I feel once he got out? Surprisingly relaxed. (Still nervous but relaxed, if that's understandable?) I guess it's a bit like when we are driving by ourselves compared to driving with an RTA inspector lol everything came easily without the worry of doing something wrong which in itself helped to do less wrong.

I must say going solo was great but how much more I enjoyed my first solo trip out to the training area to practice a few engine failures, I had done a few more circuit hours and it was just awesome being free to leave the circuit by myself. Pointing the cub away from the circuit with no instructor and being able to choose exactly where I wanted to point and coming back to join the circuit all by myself will be a memory I have for a long time. Similar to my first solo nav I loved every minute of it.

• Agree 1

Yes my first solo trips into the training area were great. Even the first passengers.

It simply cannot get much better than taking your 30 year old daughter from Ycab out around the Glasshouse Mountains, waving to a group on top of Beerwah, then out to Bribie, down the length of Bribie Island and back into Ycab to swap over and repeat the exercise with my wife and then again with my son. Probably the best 3 hours that I have spent in an airplane.

But nothing can compete with that feeling the day I did my Nav Test and realised that now there was nothing to stop me living my dream. My dream that was born when I was 5 years old to fly of into the distance and be free.

That feeling of freedom to live my dream to me was the ultimate. Everything until that day left me feeling as though I had not finished what I had set out to do.

The thing that made it more real to me was the fact that at the time, I thought that I was living on borrowed time. I have since apparently proven that Doctors can be wrong, but I was not aware of that at the time. Time is something not all of us get given.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

First solo nav felt like the real achievement. First solo doesn't last long enough to really enjoy. Blink and you would miss it. My CFI was keen to get me back on the ground before the euphoria kicked in and my hands and voice started to shake, so it was just one quick circuit. Thinking back I should have thrown in a go around just to drag it out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its a long time ago but my first solo is still clear in my mind - I don't even remember first solo to the training area. The other one that sticks in my mind is my first nav - seeing the vast countryside away from the coast from a different perspective

The thing that most surprised me about first solo was how much better a C150 climbs with only one person in it - and then calling downwind (right hand circuit) - seeing no instructor blocking the view - and thinking that I did not have any backup for the landing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

I think instructors should emphasise that the plane will fly differently with the lesser weight and different trim (in some planes, like a Chipmunk particularly, and other tandems).. Nev

• Agree 1

I think instructors should emphasise that the plane will fly differently with the lesser weight and different trim (in some planes, like a Chipmunk particularly, and other tandems).. Nev

Yes , unfortunately my instructor didn't . I thought the little Jab was a bit nippy in the climb, The other legs were pretty quick also . It was when I flared that things went pear shaped . I tried again ,but despite the long runway decided to go around, something I was told to do .It was late in the afternoon at Bundaberg and during my entering call I added "first solo", probably to warn others to 'keep clear ,and heard the reply " good luck mate " . Apart from my instructor who didn't have a radio, the only other aircraft there were two large military choppers from Townsville . I assumed that the call was from them which somehow gave me confidence , and that at least someone was watching in case something went wrong . That was ten years ago. A month or so prior to that I happened to meet a unassuming fellow who introduced himself as Ian Bent. He had a Pitts at the time and had just returned from a late afternoon flight . He gave me some valuable information which greatly improved my flying , for which I shall be forever grateful, somehow coming from a Pitts pilot it seemed to have greater credibility . An extremely likeable fellow who well deserves much success in his future endeavour ...... Bob.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

He gave me some valuable information which greatly improved my flying , for which I shall be forever grateful, somehow coming from a Pitts pilot it seemed to have greater credibility

What was the information? share! :)

When did you go solo. I think for me it was around the 24 hour mark... we thought at first maybe around 12-15 then long delays were imposed, instructors changed, one thing led to another and it just dragged on and i think my confidence suffered as a result.

Past experience. No past experience other than flying with a mate in a 172 a couple years earlier which ignited the spark.

Did you feel ready or do you think you should have gone hours earlier. I felt ready, but not without some trepidation. I trusted in my instructor to know i was ready but if left up to me I'd have wrung my hands over it forever.

How did you feel when the Instructor got out. The whole thing was very surreal, as though I was watching a video of someone else doing it. I remember having a massive grin on my face and total concentration the likes of which I hadn't experienced before. Of course we know how much better the performance was, and yes the climb rate was crazy and it was all over very quickly. I think I did 5 or 6 circuits before coming back down. No torn shirts or water dumped over me, or a certificate, but there were a few "congrats" over the radio which made me feel good.

Comments. Agree with Geoff - as monumental as it was, I was so adrenaline-addled and it was over so quickly, that I think there are other milestones that mean more to me. My first PAX is probably my best memory, as that is when i truly felt like a pilot, someone's life in my hands. First solo Nav was also good, but a long day as I also did my nav flight test afterward (8.1 hour day in all!!). It is all pretty special, and even when i start thinking about hiring the plane on a weekend, my pulse starts racing.

• Like 1

I soloed at 14.5 hours which was my total flying time from the get go. I probably should have soloed the session before but while I had been flying pretty well my landings were inconsistent and the CFI made the call that a solid session of circuits was needed to get the landings right. So it took a few hours longer than I should have. On reflection I probably wouldn't have gone earlier as my personal confidence wasn't quite there.

When I came back for next session I started to nail the landings so after a half a dozen circuits or so my CFI hopped out. I remember clearly (don't you always remember your first solo) I had no butterflies at all despite having a couple of curve balls thrown in by opting to extend downwind to let an RPT in and having the RFDS miss my final call and enter the runway while I was on final (I simpy aborted and went round again). I simply did what I had been taught to do. When I got back to the hangar after (effectively) only 2 circuits my CFI was surprised to see me so soon. He never did say how many I was allowed to do and thought I'd go around and around until dark or I needed fuel, whichever came first.

Cheers

Chris

• Haha 1

I don't think it is very productive to dwell on hours to solo. It's not a competition, nor would I recommend doing lot's of circuits at that time. You are a bit hyped up often and the SOLO has a special thing for you but I wouldn't push it too far at that stage.. I'm a bit surprised some are doing lots of circuits. Nev

• Agree 6

First solo for me was in a J160 at 17 hours. Under strict instructions to do one circuit (unless go around needed of course). I think one circuit was enough for me, almost excitement overload by the time I finished the landing roll.

• Like 1

I don't think it is very productive to dwell on hours to solo. It's not a competition, nor would I recommend doing lot's of circuits at that time. You are a bit hyped up often and the SOLO has a special thing for you but I wouldn't push it too far at that stage.. I'm a bit surprised some are doing lots of circuits. Nev

Most first solo's I have seen have been just one cct if possible. Comparing hours is not fair. Weather plays a big part as does the type of aircraft and the instructor. I try not to mention first solo to the student until the last moment to keep the pressure off. Well meaning relatives turning up when they think first solo may happen also puts on too much pressure.

• Agree 2

Its a long time ago but my first solo is still clear in my mind - I don't even remember first solo to the training area. The other one that sticks in my mind is my first nav - seeing the vast countryside away from the coast from a different perspectiveThe thing that most surprised me about first solo was how much better a C150 climbs with only one person in it - and then calling downwind (right hand circuit) - seeing no instructor blocking the view - and thinking that I did not have any backup for the landing.

My first solo was in a 503 powered Drifter in 1990. To be honest, I don't remember much of it these days. Only fragments.

I also was told one circuit and would have loved to do a go around to get an extra one in, but I feel sure that the CFI would have seen straight through me. My first solo was also my first day on that runway so it added another dimension, even though I did 5 or 6 circuits before the CFI left me to it. I agree with Nev about the number of hours being not that important, and that is why I asked that question. If new guys come on here and see people taking 15/20/30 hours then they will not feel as though they are no good when they get to 10 or 12 or 30 and are having a few problems. Everything is relative and the most relative thing here is you the pilot. So long as you trust you instructor, you will go when you are ready because they will know.

• Agree 1

Obviously there has to be a standard reached, and I can't see the case for making it marginal. I bit of extra skills won't go astray. Things can go wrong on any flight. Would be a pity if someone came to grief when it could be avoided with a bit more time in training. Some feel pressure to get solo at the first opportunity. It's a balanced judgement by the instructor. I'm sure they all feel some anxiety, and should probably have a hand held radio and watch. Springing it on a pupil has it's problems. Everyone is different. If a student said "Look, I don't feel as though I'm quite ready" No pressure should be put on them.

One must have a feeling they can do it, or they won't perform too well. Nev

• Agree 2

I don't remember how many hours I soloed in could of been 12 or 15 not shore. And I now have about 100 hours. but I do remember being very nervous. And have never gained the sort or confidence that I feel when I ride a motorbike.

• Agree 1

Well meaning relatives turning up when they think first solo may happen also puts on too much pressure.

My father was standing next to my instructor when I pulled in from my first solo. He would never have the courage to fly himself, but I did my training off my own strip and he was never far away on his quad bike when I was doing my pre-flights each day, kept a good eye on what was going on.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

I don't remember how many hours I soloed in could of been 12 or 15 not shore. And I now have about 100 hours. but I do remember being very nervous. And have never gained the sort or confidence that I feel when I ride a motorbike.

What an interesting comment. Just curious, check your log book and tell how many hundred hours you spent on a motorbike to gain that confidence. I am sure it would be many multiples of 100. And you probably manage more than the 1 to 2 hours a week that most of us get in the air.

I think that 5 hours a week will build experience and confidence far better than 5 hours in 5 weeks. Having said that we all have bad weeks and should know when to stop.

I have nearly 200 hours spread over 11 months and I feel that I am far more aware and confident than I could be had those same hours been spread over 4 or 5 years. Just wait till I get my own plane in the air and then I should really be able to get some Training/practice/flying in.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

It took me 12.9 hours to solo & I soloed in Austflight Drifter BUT I flew 2 hours in a Piper Tomahawk and 1 hour in a TW Lightwing in that 12.9 hours. Over a 3 year period. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Passed my AUF certificate in a LSA Jabiru . I like to fly different aeroplanes.

• Like 1

It took me 12.9 hours to solo & I soloed in Austflight Drifter BUT I flew 2 hours in a Piper Tomahawk and 1 hour in a TW Lightwing in that 12.9 hours. Over a 3 year period.Then pas 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

When I had 85 hours up, (20 years ago) I had a 10 year break and then completed a BFR over 2 sessions, 1.8 hours total time in an aircaft I have never flown before. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif Flying came naturally to me.

• Like 1