Aircraft charity raffle - Vote on aircraft type and tickets

How many tickets would you buy for your preferred aircraft type at $50 per ticket?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How many tickets would you buy for your preferred aircraft type at $50 per ticket?

• No tickets
    • One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Five plus

Better odds than the lottery!Without trying to start another Jabi handbags at dawn issue, do you think that a jabi as the prize choice might polarise people who were buyers as there seems to be two distinct jabi camps (either swear by them or hate them)?

You're not going to be able to please everyone. Even tho I suggested the jab, if I won it ild most likely sell it and buy something a bit quicker and with more room. It's the general appeal of the prize that would be important.

Aussie built, easy to fly, cheap to operate or learn in I would think would all be important factors.

As far as polarised views? Unfortunately that may not make it ideal but the Brumby would still meet all the requirements.

My grandfather won one of those letterbox lotteries many years ago and ended up with a Porsche Boxster which he had traded in on a Mercedes before even taking delivery of it. I'm sure he was just as happy.

• Agree 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are illogical creatures. If you offer a winner the option of say a dinner for two valued at $100 at a particular restaurant and a $100 cash, a high percentage of people will take the dinner even though the cash would be more useful. You could even use it at any other restaurant or anything else but they still take the prize because they like the idea of getting something exciting that they wouldn't have ordinarily bought. For this reason, I dont think that the exact choice of aircraft is as important as you think it is. As Ben says they can always sell it and buy something else.

I do think though that you could try to sell tickets to the general public. As discussed above there are only about 20,000 to 40,000 pilots in australia distributed all over the place and so you might be lucky to get 5% to commit. If you were at an airshow like Wing over Illawarra or Avalon and could convince the organisers to support you with a stall and have the aircraft on display. You might be able to convince the aircraft manufacturer that this publicity is worth at least another $10k discount.... You might be able to sell to 10% of the people through the gates as well as the pilot population? Much bigger audience.

Whether right or wrong Jabiru have copped some bad publicity and so in the general public's mind might be a great choice.

• Like 1

I would buy two tickets in a Jab230 or a Brumby. Or something old and interesting in good order.

Which type of brumby are you guys referring to as I see that there are couple of options on their website? The 600 looks like a nice option. Anyone have a rough price on this option?

You're not going to be able to please everyone. Even tho I suggested the jab, if I won it ild most likely sell it and buy something a bit quicker and with more room. It's the general appeal of the prize that would be important.Aussie built, easy to fly, cheap to operate or learn in I would think would all be important factors.

As far as polarised views? Unfortunately that may not make it ideal but the Brumby would still meet all the requirements.

My grandfather won one of those letterbox lotteries many years ago and ended up with a Porsche Boxster which he had traded in on a Mercedes before even taking delivery of it. I'm sure he was just as happy.

Going to start responding to those letterbox lotteries after hearing that! 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

I also would have sold it but for an aircraft.

People are illogical creatures. If you offer a winner the option of say a dinner for two valued at $100 at a particular restaurant and a $100 cash, a high percentage of people will take the dinner even though the cash would be more useful. You could even use it at any other restaurant or anything else but they still take the prize because they like the idea of getting something exciting that they wouldn't have ordinarily bought. For this reason, I dont think that the exact choice of aircraft is as important as you think it is. As Ben says they can always sell it and buy something else.I do think though that you could try to sell tickets to the general public. As discussed above there are only about 20,000 to 40,000 pilots in australia distributed all over the place and so you might be lucky to get 5% to commit. If you were at an airshow like Wing over Illawarra or Avalon and could convince the organisers to support you with a stall and have the aircraft on display. You might be able to convince the aircraft manufacturer that this publicity is worth at least another $10k discount.... You might be able to sell to 10% of the people through the gates as well as the pilot population? Much bigger audience.

Whether right or wrong Jabiru have copped some bad publicity and so in the general public's mind might be a great choice.

Good points I was thinking of Wings over Illawarra as a good event (on the assumption that it does not rain out) as a venue to do the last ticket sales and on the afternoon of the final day do the draw.

An RV-12 should tick most of the raffle boxes.rgmwa

Never liked the looks of the 12 for some reason (each to their own I suppose) but realistically a great handling aircraft from top notch pedigree.

Going to start responding to those letterbox lotteries after hearing that! 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gifI also would have sold it but for an aircraft.

He already had the aircraft after winning the normal lottery. I kid you not, luckiest man ever. He had a mooney.

Which type of brumby are you guys referring to as I see that there are couple of options on their website? The 600 looks like a nice option. Anyone have a rough price on this option?

Either or, personally I like the low wing but once again personal preference.

I don't think you would get much change from 100k at RRP. Others would have more accurate then that.

Any new aircraft for $50 is good buying (or a donation). For a personal choice you have to pay full price.

Whatever aircraft chosen will not please everyone, but they would still take it, I suspect - unless it is the rag & tube or trike style, which has its followers also, but somewhat more limited in numbers.

• Like 1

Any new aircraft for $50 is good buying (or a donation). For a personal choice you have to pay full price.Whatever aircraft chosen will not please everyone, but they would still take it, I suspect - unless it is the rag & tube or trike style, which has its followers also, but somewhat more limited in numbers.

Even a second hand one is a good buy at $50!

What about one of three or so options. If a few manufacturers were approached they may come on board with a deal of the winners choice. Jab/Brumby/RV12 springs to mind as a good spread.

• Agree 1

If you read the prize information on the tickets they sell for cars in shopping centres the prize is usually stated as vehicles up to the value of $xxxxxxx the way forward here wold be approach multipal manufactures for permission to throw there product names behind the event and then let the winner chose an aicraft / kit / accessories to the value of x amount from one of the involved manufacturers. If you can get an engine manufacturer and aircraft supplies place involved you will have a few more carrots in the bunch.

Everybody is happy and it promotes the product of more than 1 manufacturer.

M

I reckon you should canvass the manufacturers and see who would give you the best deal for the charity. Not saying they'd actually donate the aircraft but for the publicity, especially if it gets picked up by the media, they might knock a fair whack off the price.

• Agree 1

I reckon you should canvass the manufacturers and see who would give you the best deal for the charity. Not saying they'd actually donate the aircraft but for the publicity, especially if it gets picked up by the media, they might knock a fair whack off the price.

Talk to me next year, got to fly it first.

• Haha 1

To me the choice of charity would be far more important than the choice of aircraft. When I buy a raffle ticket, I consider it to be a donation no matter how good the odds it is still a lottery.

I only donate to charities where I am certain that that majority of funds go to those who need it and not to fund the machine behind it.

• Agree 2

My grandfather won one of those letterbox lotteries many years ago and ended up with a Porsche Boxster which he had traded in on a Mercedes before even taking delivery of it.

My best mates brother won a Porsche - and he traded in on a new VW Kombi Caravelle! It was one of the later water-cooled Kombi POS, too! 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif

My vote is for a Jabiru, because they're locally made, and we need to support local industry.

If the winner hates Jabs with a passion, he/she can always trade it on the aircraft of their choice!

• Agree 2

Onetrack,

One day I'll have to go fly a Jabiru, great looking aircraft.

The only reason for my preference Is it is used by the flying club, & the negative feature when flying the Foxbat at 40deg C, the Jab was unable to fly in that heat.

Hopefully the water cooled heads should fix the problem.

spacesailor