What did you learn to fly on?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First started in a lightwing but two young kids and two jobs and my wife working as well and while not actually a dislike for the aircraft but more like not suited to it, was an impossible dream so it only went about 5 hrs. When the kids finished school I started again in a beautiful refurbished 1946 j3 cub and what a genuine pleasure to fly she was, I still don,t know of a better trainer and 19500 of them built to train yank pilots for the war speaks for its self i think. Cheers Hargraves

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

First takeoff was jumping off the garage roof with a potato sack as a parachute at the age of 8 or 9. The flight was pleasant but the landing wasn't. I started again 50 years later, but this time in a 152 with an instructor. Completed my PPL in a 172 about 18 months later, and went on to build my own plane over the next 4 years. Been flying about 7 years now.

rgmwa

• Like 1

Bankstown in 1972 in a PA-28 at Cheiftain Aviation. (I think there is a burger joint where it used to be).

Then you do silly things like get married and buy a house, so no money for a while.

Then again in 2002 at YCAB in a Gazelle.

I learned to fly with our mustering pilot in a C172 In the mid 1970's. Unfortunately, a very close friend was killed in his C150 B doing the same thing which made me stop and think a bit.

My first legit flying lesson was in a Blanik L13 in the late 1970's. I loved the Blanik and shudder a little at the aeros done in it with no regard for the integrity of its wing spars. I gained an Asst Instructor rating and flew various single seaters in competitions but quickly got into powered gliders and flew the Fournier RF5. PIK 20E and Motor Faulke before getting a GA licence in 1982 in a brand new Warrior.

I did my TW endo and some very basic aero training in an early 8KCAB VH-BIK and messed around until I had a holiday from flying while I educated my kids. When I win Tatts I'll buy a Super Decathlon to put in the hangar with the AUSTER.

Got back into it seriously in 2002 with refresher training in Warriors and Cessnas until I purchased the AUSTER in January 2009. Getting close to 500 hours in that so almost know how to fly it now.

Kaz

• Like 4

Cherokee 140 PYA at Collinsville with Rex Laver, Northern flying Service. At the great cost of $11 per hour, which included the ferry flight from Mackay and back. Those were the days.

Taught myself to fly in 1987 in an easy riser still alive to tell the story what a thrill then tyro and on to my faithful Drifter.

I started in 1996 in a Jabiru but as I was only 16 I couldn't afford it even thought it was $99/h with instructor. Then in 1999/2000 I did another 8 hours in the Jabiru and still at the $99/h (I think). I move away shortly after and didn't do it again until September last year. This time in the Sling 2. At $295/h dual and $195/h private, it's a lot more but at 37 it's a a bit easier to afford with 2 incomes..... still a very expensive hobby.... but it's so much fun. Plus my wife encouraged me to do it and even gave me a few lessons as a birthday present last year.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

Like MartyG I started at Latrobe Valley in 1985. In the clubs fleet of C172s EUI,STH, UGO, First lesson on Feb 1st, first solo on Feb 6th. Passed my restricted licence on March 14th and unrestricted on June 10 th. Great instructors John Willis, Alex Hood and Alan Helding.

A great time in my life .

[uSER=9485]@Capt Wally[/uSER] did BusaKaine really need a caution in his post here? I guess just another case of big fingers small screen but thought I had better point it out.

• Like 1

I started in 1968 in Chippies at RVAC - $10 ph solo

Then mixed in a bit of gliding at VMFG and more gliding with the ANU Gliding Club - ridge soaring at Lake George when it had no water in it - more gliding at various Clubs as well as GA.

Early adopter (Member 527) of ultralights - Thrusters & Drifters

Memorable flights:

A gliding course at Lake Keepit with the legendary Gary Speight

England to Australia in a C170 (before the days of GPS) - yep, had to be able to read a map

Around and criss cross New Zealand in a C170

Orange County to San Diego in a Stearman

YMMB to Adels Grove, Escott Station, Undarra, Cow Bay, coastal to YMMB with a few island stops on the way - Piper Archer

• Like 4

The C152 at Royal Newcastle Aero Club in 1980 & then the CT4 with the RAAF, only 3,077 days to go & counting till I retire & become a full time grey nomad flying my Foxbat with my wife around this great brown land. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 3

I learnt to fly IN a Jabiru LSA55. The only things I can think of which you fly ON are a broomstick (for those so inclined) and a trapeese. Sorry for being so critical.

I learnt to fly IN a Jabiru LSA55. The only things I can think of which you fly ON are a broomstick (for those so inclined) and a trapeese. Sorry for being so critical.

Here's some some folk ON a plane...on the way to learning to fly themselves...)

upload_2017-5-30_13-36-26.jpeg.d24054995f55c5311c9b88f93e6a9937.jpeg

upload_2017-5-30_13-36-45.jpeg.605cc6195097bc864809e0edd47a5b87.jpeg

That 'magic' number isn't set in concrete...lolol My accountant said I was nuts retiring 5 yrs too early but I couldn't do another day flying a 'bus', I was losing the enjoyment of flying, never thought I'd say that but got out just in time:-) Have no money of course (due females!) but am so happy I don't have to drink the awful coffee up at 37000ft!004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Capt Wally ..............................

all the above sounds very intriguing - how about starting a thread and talk about those decisions or matters that made you jump of the bus ........... we'd like to hear some of that stuff

"I" and "O" are next to each other on the keyboard, and you can't edit a thread title. Minor compared to some stuff on here.

You sound like one of those pilots who are bound for disaster! One of the first things I was taught was to stay on top of the aircraft, my instructor always said if I wasn't on top of it it would bite me.

more Capt Wally .................... !

.............. Your not hated. I think you have an interested following ......... you certainly shoot straight from the hip

i guess what you described you find in all jobs - mind you they say some pilots can be particularly egotistical beasts.

- what was it like under the expert eye of some captains when you were 1st officer

- what were you like as capt to your 1st officers

- what was the worst flying experience you had with a senior pilot

- what was the worst flying experience you had with a junior pilot

- did you ever smoke a joint while up there high

- did you ever down a scotch while up there high

- did the cabin crew have a better job than pilots

- did refuellers have a better job than pilots

- did you change airlines much - or once employed you had to stick to it

- how many hours and years did you clock up

- was there any commercial flying that you did find enjoyable

- have you thought of returning to some sort of paid flying - like instructor

.......... shan't ask again

First flight was in a home made bamboo & nylon fabric hang glider in 1975. There were no instructors, clubs etc so we just had a go off sand dunes. Crashed and broke it after about 10 x 5 to 10 second flights. Then came a Seagull 3 hang glider & I got soaring coastal ridges in that. I continued hang gliding till the early 90s. First PIC in a powered aircraft was a weight shift controlled Quicksilver in 1980 or thereabouts. Then a mate & I made a trike & fitted a hang glider wing to it. It flew but was pretty scary. Then learned to fly real powered aircraft in a 152 & got my PPL in the early 90s & finally converted to RAA 18 months ago.

• Like 1

You fly on a Drifter, not in it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Early gyros looked a lot like those women as they headed off into the blue. As a 22 year old I watched about five of them leave Homehill aerodrome most Sunday mornings. From memory the guru was named Bert Larkin.

• Winner 1