Plane crashes into van in russia

Looks for all the world like a Sav... with some sort of belly tank??

Hi Marty,

Howya going?

Don't think it's a Sav, it has slats on the front of the wing and the way the wing roots slope down to the cockpit make it look more like a Zenith to me.....

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1

Hi Marty,Howya going?

Don't think it's a Sav, it has slats on the front of the wing and the way the wing roots slope down to the cockpit make it look more like a Zenith to me.....

Cheers,

Neil

Not bad thanks Neil! How are you?

You're right - on re-watching, it does have the sloping wing roots. The early Savs had the slats too remember - and what fooled me was the standard fin/rudder, the Zenith definitely doesn't have. Plus there's some corrugations in the side.

Maybe a Russian 701 knock-off with some Sav tendencies?

He was fully stalled with the tail skid on the road so was never going to clear the van which because of the AOA he couldn't even see once he pulled the stick right back. The term Idiot comes to mind. The van driver sure got a shock, diving onto the road. Plenty of crushed melons for the sticky beakers.

Not bad thanks Neil! How are you?You're right - on re-watching, it does have the sloping wing roots. The early Savs had the slats too remember - and what fooled me was the standard fin/rudder, the Zenith definitely doesn't have. Plus there's some corrugations in the side.

Maybe a Russian 701 knock-off with some Sav tendencies?

Hi Marty,

I am fine, thanks! Shame the same can't be said about the weather here......expect the hangar to blow away any time soon!

As for that plane......hmmmm..... Let's call it a Savzenconcordski....

Cheers,

Neil

• Haha 1

Why did the idiot in the Van park there for, brainless twit.

I think it wasn't parked but had stopped to let the guy on the ground cross the road. White lines would indicate a pedestrian crossing.

I can tell you right now, the exact make of that 'plane! - the van driver yelled out its Slavic name immediately, the instant he jumped out of his van!

He yelled out ... "YOUSONUVABICH!!!!" 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

• Haha 3

I think it wasn't parked but had stopped to let the guy on the ground cross the road. White lines would indicate a pedestrian crossing.

Maybe that was a factor in what happened.

Consider that perhaps he began a takeoff with the traffic flow, as he possibly had done many times, then driver in front stops for a pedestrian, he panics and hold full back stick, unwittingly stalling the wing and increasing drag, making acceleration very difficult.

• Agree 1

I follow Russian builds a bit, they change and chop things around all the time without hesitation.

You could spend years going through all the posts at their Rec Flying equivalent website, Google Page Translation isn't too bad, but fortunately they are big into lots of pictures.

Ассоциация Экспериментальной Авиации - Содержание

Maybe that was a factor in what happened.Consider that perhaps he began a takeoff with the traffic flow, as he possibly had done many times, then driver in front stops for a pedestrian, he panics and hold full back stick, unwittingly stalling the wing and increasing drag, making acceleration very difficult.

Yeah. I think he either hoped to takeoff or hop over it.....

• Winner 1

You land to pick up some fuel and have a couple vodkas with your mates, then go to take off like you always do.... and now you've gotta explain to the wife why you're gonna be home late. That's just rank bad luck.....

• Haha 1

You guys got it all wrong! He was trying to load it in the back of that truck & was going a little too fast.

I worked with Russkies in Africa. They're not all nuts....just most of 'em. And Vodka does contribute to their flying skills.

Wild Bill Callhan

• Like 1
  • Haha 1