Photo thread for the heck of it

ayavner

I see that it is the GT variant. I remember driving with my mate in his mum's Mk 1 Cortina. None of the cabin fittings like this one. The gear lever was a long thin rod, fully exposed. Very much like the gear lever of a 1950's Austin A40. My brother-in-law had a later model GT. British Racing Green with black interior trim. Veeeeery sexy.OME

I had mine for around 6 months, the centre binnacle gauges never worked and the stickshift knob kept coming off, so I replaced it with a miniature skull. . .looked quite cool man. . . . Girlfriend ( now Boss ) said that this was 'creepy' . . . swapped it for a Commer van to carry the guitars and amps. . . .

Mine was a "Consul-Cortina", but the rear lights didn't match any pictures of Cortina/Consul's as they were tear-drop shape,

I had it chopped 3" by way of removing the rusty sills, lowered suspension and a 1.9L Zepher motor, looked very good, & was too fast according to the boys in blue.

spacesailor

I had a GT Cortina, lowered by the previous owner, who was a racing driver from Canberra. I don't think he ever raced it. I tuned the motor and it was a great car. Cruised Mackay to Rockhampton at 80 mph average, in 1966. It couldn't get pas a Ford GT on the straight, but was faster through the corners.

Only problem was it chewed ring gears and the generator used to want to come loose. Plus with about 100mm clearance it was not suitable for Qld raids.

Actually, it's not.This is an absolute lie propagated by the conservative LNP party.

Every time there's howls of "bias" from the right, independent studies prove that there is absolutely no bias in ABC reporting or interviewing. Equal time is given to each side of politics. Politicians from each side are treated with respect (in most cases, more than they're due).

The ABC only seems left-leaning when compared to most of the Rupert-owned news outlets, which are so far to the right that they make the centre look left.

Well actually even that statement is not true - depending on your terms of reference.

The studies which found no bias that I read were themselves biased in their set up and terms of reference.

For instance one reported that in over two days the same air time was given to both the opposition and liberal ( who were government at the time). Therefore there was no bias. The report further stated - The reporters asked the same number of questions on the same topics - therefore there was no bias.

But when someone else reported the actual content of the interviews - That spoke a different story.

The labour person in one interview was asked the questions and allowed to answer the questions in full and given time to make a coherent reply to all. The reporter came up with 4 questions derived from the content of the answers and did not interrupt the spokesman.

The liberal person was asked similar questions and was interrupted 17 times and was not allowed to complete the answer for any question before being interrupted and redirected to another topic or another slant on the original topic.

It is this form of derailing and reporter interruption and hostile bias that is repeatedly quoted as being evidence of political bias of the ABC.

It depends how you want to set the terms of reference which means you can set up any study to find what you want.

Well actually even that statement is not true - depending on your terms of reference.The studies which found no bias that I read were themselves biased in their set up and terms of reference.For instance one reported that in over two days the same air time was given to both the opposition and liberal ( who were government at the time). Therefore there was no bias. The report further stated - The reporters asked the same number of questions on the same topics - therefore there was no bias.

But when someone else reported the actual content of the interviews - That spoke a different story.

The labour person in one interview was asked the questions and allowed to answer the questions in full and given time to make a coherent reply to all. The reporter came up with 4 questions derived from the content of the answers and did not interrupt the spokesman.

The liberal person was asked similar questions and was interrupted 17 times and was not allowed to complete the answer for any question before being interrupted and redirected to another topic or another slant on the original topic.

It is this form of derailing and reporter interruption and hostile bias that is repeatedly quoted as being evidence of political bias of the ABC.

It depends how you want to set the terms of reference which means you can set up any study to find what you want.

I don't know what interviews you've been listening to, but I've heard them interrupting Labor and Green politicians repeatedly too. If the pollie is being a tool and avoiding the question (and which of them don't), they get interrupted.

Perhaps if LNP pollies are getting interrupted more, they're avoiding the hard questions more?

.................. please deliver all political clap trap elsewhere (religion as well)ranting.gif.884d96897593d0358f8a9b3da645b432.gif

why ruin a good thread with such #$%^^&^%%$$#@%^&*&%$@#$%^&*((*&^%$@#$%^&*((*&^%$##$%^&*(

.................. please deliver all political clap trap elsewhere (religion as well)ranting.gif.884d96897593d0358f8a9b3da645b432.gifwhy ruin a good thread with such #$%^^&^%%$$#@%^&*&%$@#$%^&*((*&^%$@#$%^&*((*&^%$##$%^&*(

Too right! This is a thread for posting photos, not political opinions. 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

You are quite welcome to have politico-religious threads in the Off-Topic section.

OME

I don't have a good 'Plane' pic at the moment, sorry.But I AM concerned about this Zika virus business in Rio. . . .

[ATTACH=full]44781[/ATTACH]

Good article on Rio from James Delingpole

Here >http://www.breitbart.com/sport...

To put Zika in perspective.

Are you concerned about German Measles?

If you aren't ( for most people ) it's about the same.

For adults - getting Zika disease is very much like German measles.

A rash, a mild fever and a self limiting usually very to fairly mild viral symptom spectrum. So mild that a large percentage some studies about 2/3 don't even know they had it)

Average time 5 days - worst case 21 days.

The issue is if you are pregnant. And then the problem is not for the mother but the baby. There are a spectrum of congenital abnormalities that can ( not always but can happen) the worst being microcephaly. small brain and small skull with mental retardation.

If you are a male and and you have it there is a small risk it can be passed to a female through sexual intercourse. ( not certain about reverse direction but they are saying probably. ) The effect on the female is benign ( as above) but only an issue if she is already pregnant. Some uncertainty about the risk if she gets pregnant from THAT encounter. Seems possibly ( probably but not certain) no effect.

Once the illness is over - that's it. It's done, gone and finished. No future transmission or baby defect risks. The adult develops antibodies and can't get it again. No defects in future babies and no transmission to sexual partners in future.

The significant difference from German measles is that there is no vaccine yet. The minute a vaccine is developed ( it's in clinical test phase in a number of countries as we speak) the minute it's developed it becomes just another German measles again. The reason for the comparison with German measles is that the disease in adults is very similar in minimal seriousness.

In babies - if the mother has it at the similar times of pregnancy there are a bunch of brain deformities that can occur ( although not quite same as Zika but devastating none-the-less).

In both ( and many viral illnesses and also vaccinations) there is a very very small risk of a strange paralysing illness called Guillane-Barre Syndrome. Rare as rare but can happen. But not any more likely than a bunch of " normal" viruses we have here now.

To put Zika in perspective. .

Thanks for that Jaba. This site is a veritable fount of diverse knowledge.

Actually, if it had been a really terrible affliction, then I would not have posted the pic. It is being hyped up by the media here though, I know at least four people who were going to the Rio games, but have decided against travelling because of this alone. ( There are a lot of other reasons if you read that linked article ! )

I had German measles as a 7 Y/O. . . maybe this explains a lot ?

Phil.

Nun, dachte ich, dass es konnte. . . . . .Vielen Dank Mein Vogel Freund. . . . .

( Es tut mir leid,. . meine Tastatur nicht tut, umlauf )

Phil von Kannock.

Translation for those that don't speak German: The Nun, gets an itchy ass and 088_censored.gif.7cca34753c8314fc6e5d75b33c01f7f1.gif when feeling the mans lonely friend.......

(Sometimes she might taste it at night for a laugh).

Did I get that right Phil?

Seems right to me.....

087_sorry.gif.279b631272e8067e9c491eea456db31b.gif

I worked for 6 months in Bavaria. I should have learnt a reasonable amount of the language, but to my detriment I was led astray by other pursuits (mainly skiing & beerkellering).

But one phrase I did pick up was useful in cutting to the chase: 'Ich verstehe keine wort von vas du sagst: lassen uns nur bumsen' (sp?)

It either worked or it didn't :)

Saw an episode of Storage Wars (where people bid for abandoned self-storage lockers). In this episode, the locker contained a race car made from the belly tank of a P-38 Lightning. Needed a bit of work, but they sold it to a guy for $8100. Paid $1500 for the locker contents sight unseen.

tankracer3.jpg.259701a52ea468da5b87b1753fd3b499.jpg