Aussie bogans home-built drone carrying a person - who goes fishing from it!

onetrack

I don't think Colin Furze is anyone to model your flying machine design aspirations on - this is the bloke who builds home-made jet engines, fixes them to bicycles, gophers, and go karts, and does speeds with them that would make the average world land speed record holder blanch.

All done on the finest plumbing principles, and carried out at the lowest cost possible, using as many secondhand components as are readily available.

He's not far off equalling the illiterate black African aviators that utilise secondhand car wrecks for materials to try and get airborne - and I'm quite sure Furze has a death wish, and he'll be lucky to see the age of 50.  :no:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"When you put a person in it it’s ceased to be a drone in my opinion. "

No !.

Greatest lift is Without a pilot, To grab an injured person from a precarious position, (base of cliff/ top of Mt Everest or in the sea). requires risking a pilots life.

To save another. 

To make the rescue without the risk to a (expensively trained) pilot, the Drone fits that bill to a T.

Don't let the Bureaucrats ruin a promising tool.

spacesailor

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don't think Colin Furze is anyone to model your flying machine design aspirations on.

He's not far off equalling the illiterate black African aviators that utilise secondhand car wrecks for materials to try and get airborne - and I'm quite sure Furze has a death wish, and he'll be lucky to see the age of 50.  :no:

There are a few differences. He is very entertaining and knowledgeable  and nearly all his builds do work.?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hats off to the innovators !  Go guys go, ignore all the dim sims negativity pushing you into the dull mainstream,  go your owm path,  brilliant, great to see !

& hey guys, stop knocking Colin,  he's my hero !?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

& hey guys, stop knocking Colin,  he's my hero !?

Also check out Mark Rober - he's the guy that built the parcel bomb to catch out package theives - but he goes into the science in an easy-to-understand way which is downright enjoyable. Between the two of them, and FailArmy, they occupy about 90% of my YouTube time. ?

Proper design will allow a hexacopter to fly with one or two electric motors out of action. These guys did all the sensible things with unmanned testing etc. The only EAA Chapter in Australia has voted to give them an Experimental Aviation achievement award.

CASA is going to have some trouble prosecuting. The pilot is unidentifiable and I doubt his mates will dob him in, unlike people in RAAus and GFA who seem to be dreadful busybodies worrying that somebody may be having fun without their blessing.

Forget about all electric quad/hexa/octacopters. What the concept is useful for is a VTOL light aircraft. Imagine if small aircraft can be freed from large aerodromes. Use the distributed electric propulsion for takeoff and landing only. Doesn't need large batteries and you can use an alternator on the piston or turbine wing borne flight propulsion unit. The high power to weight and very small wing area (you don't care about stall speed) will mean very high cruising speeds.

Nothing to stop anyone building one as a VH Experimental. Say a Jabiru with a smaller wing chord , smaller span and two long pods on the wing tips with a contra rotating set of props on each tip for an octacopter configuration. Build 1/3 scale R/C model first. The algorithms and control systems are off the shelf. If you can't fit a triple redundant plus one backup channel auto stab in a 50mm cube you aren't trying. I suspect you can find off the shelf motors, batteries and motor controllers too. There may be more optimum configurations for the airframe. I keep looking at tandem wings. Fun project.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
Guest Machtuk

CASA has fined pilot(?) Tim French $2730 for three offences, and fisherman Sam Foreman $1050.

Good, it's numbskulls like these fools that have the authorities coming down hard on those that use RC products responsibly!

Somehow, I would not equate these fellas to your stereotypical RC flyer. And while I have a warped sense of perception, I doubt very much too may people will, too. In fact, as a member of the suffering public who was put to great inconvenience because of drone flyers flying their drones too close to Gatwick, I would welcome this sort of RC Flyer.. The drone flyers have a small minority that stuff it up for the rest of them.. these guys aren't in that league.

I understand why CASA had to go for them.. it's a shame as they were only endangering themselves and showed ingenuity.. HOw many pioneers have suffered an early end so we can fly safely today? Without them, where would we be? (I know, I know.. but you get my drift).

Dear Mr Maktuk, did you thank all of the people who died just so you can fly relatively safely?

You are running down people, calling them names, and for what reason?

Is it to get your name up in lights, is it because you are on some power trip? I am sure that you’d like to be the boss of CASA and bring some more rules to make the life of others hard!

What happened to minding your own business?

I am afraid, the likes of you are the reason that I haven’t built and flown my own aircraft yet.

Somebody mentioned Gus Grissom, in a previous quote. I remember the exact day when he died in an engineer designed and proven flying machine and could also name a vast number of others that met their end the same way.

Just a little hint for you: If you have nothing good to say about someone, don’t say anything!

• Like 1

Joew49

I built mine,

Then the bureaucrats changed the rules, the last Hummel Bird registered as 95-10 category.

Not flown just because of mr Maktuk rules!. and then they took the rego off the list.

spacesailor

• Like 1

"Mad" Mike Hughes just wiped himself out in a spectacular manner, too, with an experimental rocket, trying to prove the Earth is flat. But he contributed nothing to the advancement of science, rocketry, astronomy, or aviation.

He just set out to kill himself in a guaranteed manner. I guess he did carry out his attempt in a remote area - but he could've just as likely ended up landing on top of his helpers.

Joe - If the blokes fined for their "experimental, personnel-carrying" fishing drone had ended up with major injuries, such as ending up in a vegetative state in a wheelchair, for the rest of their lives, would you be happy enough to contribute, via your taxes, to the multi-million dollar upkeep and medical treatment of this person (or people) for the next 50 or 60 years?

The simple fact is - the potential for serious, deadly accidents are minimised if official examination is carried out, and approval granted, for entirely new designs of airborne craft.

It operates like that in every civilised country - and in the ones that don't, the victims of uncontrolled aviation experimentation end up impoverished, in lifelong pain, and a burden to their families. You don't see the African victims that end up this way, you only get to laugh at their stupidity in their videos.

• Like 1

Guest Machtuk

Dear Mr Maktuk, did you thank all of the people who died just so you can fly relatively safely?

You are running down people, calling them names, and for what reason?

Is it to get your name up in lights, is it because you are on some power trip? I am sure that you’d like to be the boss of CASA and bring some more rules to make the life of others hard!

What happened to minding your own business?

I am afraid, the likes of you are the reason that I haven’t built and flown my own aircraft yet.

Somebody mentioned Gus Grissom, in a previous quote. I remember the exact day when he died in an engineer designed and proven flying machine and could also name a vast number of others that met their end the same way.

Just a little hint for you: If you have nothing good to say about someone, don’t say anything!

What nasty piece of work you are? Angry little man by the looks of things! When you've worked 10 years in the EMS field & seem the stupidity of people breaking the gazetted laws as well as natural law then you might grow a brain!

Ignore for you!

Guest Machtuk

"Mad" Mike Hughes just wiped himself out in a spectacular manner, too, with an experimental rocket, trying to prove the Earth is flat. But he contributed nothing to the advancement of science, rocketry, astronomy, or aviation.

He just set out to kill himself in a guaranteed manner. I guess he did carry out his attempt in a remote area - but he could've just as likely ended up landing on top of his helpers.

Joe - If the blokes fined for their "experimental, personnel-carrying" fishing drone had ended up with major injuries, such as ending up in a vegetative state in a wheelchair, for the rest of their lives, would you be happy enough to contribute, via your taxes, to the multi-million dollar upkeep and medical treatment of this person (or people) for the next 50 or 60 years?

The simple fact is - the potential for serious, deadly accidents are minimised if official examination is carried out, and approval granted, for entirely new designs of airborne craft.

It operates like that in every civilised country - and in the ones that don't, the victims of uncontrolled aviation experimentation end up impoverished, in lifelong pain, and a burden to their families. You don't see the African victims that end up this way, you only get to laugh at their stupidity in their videos.

Mate you can fathom the stupidity of the likes of Joe!

If these fools have an ReOC they deserve to lose it immediately!!!

Ummmm.....

Very entertaining. (and clever film making)

Anyone notice the huge difference in how much disturbance the water surface gets from the downwash between the shots where he was dangling and the drone was not visible, to the shots of the downwash when the drone was visible?

WBY

Ummmm.....

Anyone notice the huge difference in how much disturbance the water surface gets from the downwash between the shots where he was dangling and the drone was not visible, to the shots of the downwash when the drone was visible?

WBY

Well spotted.

What nasty piece of work you are? Angry little man by the looks of things! When you've worked 10 years in the EMS field & seem the stupidity of people breaking the gazetted laws as well as natural law then you might grow a brain!

Ignore for you!

Why, Mr Maktuk, how easily the veneer of civility has cracked! When you criticise other people it’s ok, but as soon as someone dares to criticise you, the wheels fall off!

I leave you with a fine quote suitable for this occasion: Laws are made for the guidance of wise men and blind obedience by fools!

Ummmm.....

WBY

Yeah - I am not so sure.. The ripples in the water seem consistent and one won't see the wash because of the angle of the camera...

Not sure it is entirely fake...

Also, clearly, the human is bening lifted across the water and one can see the disturbance of both the water and the human ;-)..

Although, in my defence, I am with my best mate, Wolfie B.. from the Barossa..