Aussie bogans home-built drone carrying a person - who goes fishing from it!

onetrack

Well, I'm guessing there's a few CASA operatives writing up some charges, right about now, for these highly adventurous clowns.

I'm guessing this lot puts Colin Furze in the shade?? I wonder what they have planned next? Strapping this "volunteer" to a home-built space rocket??

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-29/footage-of-man-fishing-from-drone-being-investigated-by-casa/11460604

The original clip on Farcebook - 

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=2157974847663933

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think a person capable of designing a controlled man lifting drone is a clown. Obviously this type of operation will be safe in the future but only with casa approvals. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Thruster, I tend to think they're clowns because of the sheer number of risks they're taking, and the laws they're breaking - and they're unable to see the ramifications if anything goes seriously wrong.

Take one look at the weight of that drone, when they're carrying it to the lake. If that thing had a major power failure, it would drop right on the head of the bloke in the chair! He'd be history in milliseconds.

• Agree 1

Maybe - but not with an uncertified home-built product of dubious engineering quality. Probably constructed from the finest Chinese electric aviation motors available from AliExpress.  :thumb down:

There's just something about the whole operation that reminds one of that familiar saying, "Hold my beer boys, and watch this!" - usually followed by some serious bone-breaking injuries, often exacerbated by not even taking some simple and basic, safety precautions. 

I'm with Thruster88 on this one, and wonder how The Wright Bros would view it if they were still around.

Whilst they appear to be larrikins enjoying their achievement in a typical-Aussie jovial way, it was at least well way from others over the relative safety of water with one passenger who was prepared to take a risk.

Development of so many things carry an element of risk in the initial stages, but that normally changes in time with design progress and some form of regulation.

Try nothing, and that's the same as what you'll ever achieve.

Fly-fishing now takes on a new meaning :wink:

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

I would laud, ratther than condemn them. Yes - they have broken some laws which are designed to protect the public; But it looks like there weren't any unsuspecting members of the publix in harms way should it got pear-shaped. Yes, they have risked themselves, but a) it looks like they have done quite a bit of testing and we all complain about how CASA over-engineers safety regs; and b) it surely is a person's choice if they take a higher risk activity. If the fella plummeted to his death, it wouldn't be as if he was unaware of the risk..

Sometimes we should let people have a bit of fun... people aren't stupid...

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

Leaf back through the pages of this site, and you will find people (some of them now extinct) doing more dangerous things to and in approved aircraft.

Based on my drone experience, they've:

• tested the drone-in-a-tree soft landing method, which I'm now very proficient at

• achieved a pendulum stability method to ease the limitations of software driven stability

• solved the instability problem with locating the props below the operator, as well as the amputation problem

• beaten Uber and a host of "big corporations" who've produced renderings of flying cars which defy all aviation laws

Having your aircraft fall on you can be prevented by sitting the chair in an aluminium frame.

The achilles heels of drones are:

• Like ballons, the go with the wind gust whether that's up, down or sideways

• When the props stop it's straight down, no glide, no control over attitude, and fast, but then look what ballistic chutes have done for the luxury single class.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

The complaints sound just like the noise we used to hear, years ago, about 'those mad clowns who fly ultralights'.

Out in the boonies, no danger to the public, taking a calculated personal risk, under 300' altitude. Probably safer than early ultralights because test flights were undoubtedly undertaken without a person attached.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4

If you want an omelette:you have to break eggs.

Progress in aviation has almost always involved increased risk for those participating.  

We don't need a bloated bureaucracy keeping our industry in cotton wool. 

As others have said: they kept away from the non-informed public, and took the risks upon themselves only.

Their only mistake was to involve the press & media - who seem only able to sensationalise any 'aviation' event.

Great stuff!!

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

I saw the video & can't understand the safety problem. 

Not  too  high  & over  water. 

Seems a good place to experiment 

Also if / when a surfer gets lifted out of danger. He will be in  the same situation. 

But it is  CASA's goal to stop inivation. 

Less someone gets more than entitled too. 

spacesailor 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Quadcopter type UAVs are going to be a huge problem for CASA in the next few years as they get more sophisticated

So far so good. If you think the regulators are tough in RA, you should go and visit an RC field.

• Agree 1

Un believable. To get enough lift to take that load and where does the power come from?

About 9sq metres max prop area. That equates to a chopper with about3.5m blade diameter.

• Agree 1

I wonder when we will start seeing "drone chutes"....

They have existed for years. Mostly the same jack in the box design as used for ultralights like the Moyes Dragonfly. Yes there are zero-zero drone chutes too but they are quite expensive 

When you put a person in it it’s ceased to be a drone in my opinion.  Given it’s got a person it’s an aircraft. 

Shorten the cable. Give the control to the pilot in the chair and you have an ultralight electric helicopter.  

No CAO covers the area ... but there was no ANO95.10 when the original ultralights were being built and flown... 

Certainly not within a clear governance framework from CASA ... but I’d love to see RAAus looking to expand and engage with these areas of new recreational aviation.

We have the first few electric ultralights that do fit within the RAAus framework of CASA governance and I expect that to grow.  The area of commercial electric vtol aircraft is starting to see some hope of reality and I think lobbying for an RAAus equivalent operating scheme would be helpful. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The aviation regulator is investigating whether the use of a drone to dangle a man over a reservoir breached rules.  (1 hour ago on the SMH)

I read those comments as "We're sure he's broken some rule, but we just don't know which one of the 15,459,334 that we wrote, it is....but when we do figure it out, it will be a crime of strict liability"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2