How has COVID 19 affected your flying or intended flying

SSCBD

Looks like they have trouble actually identifying Coronavirus at times...?

From back in 2003...

“...an outbreak of respiratory illness due to HCoV-OC43. The observed attack rate of 67% and case fatality rate of 8% underscore the pathogenic potential of HCoVs in frail populations. This adds to other observations underscoring that CoVs other than SARS-CoV may be responsible for a broader spectrum of disease than coryza alone...”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2095096/

Hope you are ok?

Lots of misinformation flying everywhere. just had an episode of a TV series sent to me in which the Chinese supposedly created a Coronavirus weapon with 90% mortality to take over the world. The sender was adamant this was Covid-19. The psychology of fear.

• Agree 1

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you are ok?

Lots of misinformation flying everywhere. just had an episode of a TV series sent to me in which the Chinese supposedly created a Coronavirus weapon with 90% mortality to take over the world. The sender was adamant this was Covid-19. The psychology of fear.

I’m good.

What’s the name of this TV series ?

The likely most reliable figure we have so far is an infection fatality rate of 0.7% out of South Korea. That is quantified though with the fact well over 30% of people have no symptoms so never present for testing. Also, those that have had minor symptoms in the past months, likely over 50%, and have recovered can not be reliably tested as having had the virus. So the CCP virus may very well have much the same fatality rate as the flu..?

So we may very well be destroying peoples lives, and our economy, via hysteria - The Chinese communist party will just pick up what it wants.

What’s the latest on the Hong Kong riots..... anyone remember it now...............?

Can’t tell you the name or I’d have to......no, no, it was a clip on Messenger and it now won’t open again. Sorry.

Oh thats a shame...?

Meanwhile, this virus thingy has been very handy to the Communist rulers of Hong Kong...

Coronavirus: police arrest 54 at Hong Kong Prince Edward protest,

• Lawyers accuse officers of abusing the public health crisis by having the metal strips removed from detained demonstrators’ surgical masks

•  
  • Meanwhile, restaurateurs say the force is using new anti-epidemic rules for political purposes

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-and-crime/article/3078006/coronavirus-police-arrest-54-hong-kong-prince-edward

What I find strange is the unevenness of the COVID-19 infection areas and death tolls. It might as well be called "affluenza", because it's largely hitting the affluent, and regular traveller, nations.

What I would like to see, is the relationship between smoking levels and COVID-19 infections and deaths. Spain and France and Italy are all heavy-smoking nations, and the death toll amongst those three nations is exceptionally high.

https://google.com/covid19-map/?hl=en

I also saw figures today, that the U.S. unemployment rate, has rocketed from 3.5% to 17%! Could this be the death knell for Trump, who extolled his leadership skills, by a (formerly) booming U.S. economy?

• Like 2

What I find strange is the unevenness of the COVID-19 infection areas and death tolls. It might as well be called "affluenza", because it's largely hitting the affluent, and regular traveller, nations.

In Australia we saw this because well heeled Australians were coming home infected, including Chinese "Australians' from around February, then the poorer ones who took their cruise regardless because they couldn't get a refund, and a lot came home, then of those that came home a few couldn't see the sense in self isolation so they mixed with the local population, so you see suburbs like Toorak and holiday areas like Mornington Peninsula with higher levels of infection. Now the Australians trapped overeseas are about to be brought home.

We're only into the first week of community transmissions, and the Australian control, with the AHPPC informing the Chief Medical Officers and the Chief Medical Officer informing the National Cabinet and the National Cabinet informing the Parliaments, seems to have pulled off the herdiong of the cats that is getting Australians to conform to the point where there's some stabilisation of numbers, but a photo of a Brisbane market today with hundreds if not thousands of people shoulder to shoulder is a good indicator that we will have incidents and break outs of the virus.

What I would like to see, is the relationship between smoking levels and COVID-19 infections and deaths. Spain and France and Italy are all heavy-smoking nations, and the death toll amongst those three nations is exceptionally high.

This virus goes for the lungs and quickly produces pneumonia, so smokers are in the pre-existing respiratory group at risk, hence the urgency of flattening the cirve so we don't run out of our tiny stock of ventilators.

I also saw figures today, that the U.S. unemployment rate, has rocketed from 3.5% to 17%! Could this be the death knell for Trump, who extolled his leadership skills, by a (formerly) booming U.S. economy?

I'm a bit surprised at that because I thought it was around 1million this morning. 17% would be roughly 40 million out of work.

Americans, particularly tend to drag you down and run over the top of you if there's an emergency, so he only has to offer them money; but he's clearly showed confusion in the last few days.

• Like 1

Here are the U.S. unemployment figures from the Guardian, I don't think they are fudged in any way.

I have little doubt that a severely-damaged airline industry, from Boeing, right through to every American airline operator, is largely responsible for the unemployment levels rocketing.

Add in the COVID-19 business closures, and you can see where the economic damage is coming from.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2020/apr/02/markets-us-jobless-claims-covid-19-economy-recession-coronavirus-business-live?page=with%3Ablock-5e85dadf8f087564da1e4696

Here are the U.S. unemployment figures from the Guardian, I don't think they are fudged in any way.

They haven't fudged them, just got the figures wrong; they said 10 million people lost their jobs and later 17% were unemployed.

157 million (48% of the population were employed so 1 million = 6.3% unemployed, which makes more sense and is no cause for alarm in these circumstances. We've had over 6% unemployed in Australia in the past.

What is more alarming is that 48% of the American population is paying taxes to support 52%

(In Australia 52% are paying for 48% which is just as bad)

Regardless of any virus, with the way our taxes are dished out by governments we must be getting close to the straw breaking the camel's back.

• Agree 1

Oh thats a shame...?

Meanwhile, this virus thingy has been very handy to the Communist rulers of Hong Kong...

Coronavirus: police arrest 54 at Hong Kong Prince Edward protest,

• Lawyers accuse officers of abusing the public health crisis by having the metal strips removed from detained demonstrators’ surgical masks

•  
  • Meanwhile, restaurateurs say the force is using new anti-epidemic rules for political purposes

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-and-crime/article/3078006/coronavirus-police-arrest-54-hong-kong-prince-edward

Try this fb account

Try this fb account

That’s a Korean show not Chinese but anyway still a good prediction of what has happened but not surprising as these Wet Markets are operating the way they do. Doubt it a manufactured Lab virus.

...The fact is that 60 doctors have died in Italy as well as other countries...

...You seem desperate to prove that covid is an exaggerated problem in any way you can. from suggestinging deaths of younger people might be caused by their veganism to the misrepresentation of causes of death. I can't help but think you may be in denial.

Been having a further look-see at the ‘Doctors’ dying from the virus claims...

https://web.archive.org/web/20200328152430/https://portale.fnomceo.it/elenco-dei-medici-caduti-nel-corso-dellepidemia-di-covid-19/

The claims just don’t stack up. For one thing those listed are apparently doctors of various speciality’s - eg, Dentists...?

Going through the date of birth we find the oldest is 94. Then 90, 87, and 82. 16x aged in their 70’s. 26x aged in their 60’s, 3x aged in their 50’s, and one born after 1970.

I dont know what the numbers of Doctors/health people that are still in practice or retired are in Italy though I’d hazard a guess it would be approaching a million. What is the all-cause average daily death rate of a million health professionals ?

What the media report likely did were took a snap-shot of a couple of weeks deaths.

As I posted previously, of note is just why did the news organisation that reported these deaths later remove the date of birth?...?

The claims just don’t stack up. For one thing those listed are apparently doctors of various speciality’s - eg, Dentists...?

Coronavirus: Dentists to help staff new hospitals This is in Britain but I would assume that other medical practitioners have been pressed into service as well as retired medics.

I can see that you think you have cracked some kind of conspiracy but your evidence is cherry picked and unconvincing. If you think the situation around the world is normal and just a storm in a teacup nothing anyone can say will change your mind. I suspect for you it is more a matter of politics than science or public health. If you think the number of deaths in the US currently 8438 is about average for a given time period you have not offered up evidence. If you think the construction of field hospitals in Central Park are merely just a piece of theater then perhaps you could provide evidence of that.

Coronavirus: Dentists to help staff new hospitals This is in Britain but I would assume that other medical practitioners have been pressed into service as well as retired medics.

I can see that you think you have cracked some kind of conspiracy but your evidence is cherry picked and unconvincing. If you think the situation around the world is normal and just a storm in a teacup nothing anyone can say will change your mind. I suspect for you it is more a matter of politics than science or public health. If you think the number of deaths in the US currently 8438 is about average for a given time period you have not offered up evidence. If you think the construction of field hospitals in Central Park are merely just a piece of theater then perhaps you could provide evidence of that.

“Some kind of conspiracy”.... if you think the normal way some media reports are hysterical and overblown is a conspiracy - Then yep, I agrees with you..?

“...but your evidence is cherry picked and unconvincing...” ....Well, I were researching and replying to a hysteria mongering article posted to this thread..?

As to the rest.... In Europe there don’t appear to be any noticeable increase in all cause mortality...

EURO MOMO

Please note - Look at all the site before jumping to conclusions..?

As to the rest.... In Europe there don’t appear to be any noticeable increase in all cause mortality..

Pooled estimates from the EuroMOMO network show excess all-cause mortality, overall, for the participating countries; however, this pooled excess mortality is driven by a particularly high excess mortality in some countries, primarily seen in the age group of 65 years and above.

246684944_momodatamap.thumb.jpg.b9f2f3456bff75893f97cbf1a5cf5143.jpg

There are reports that Cats can catch the virus and spread it to humans..?

If true, I suppose we can look on the bright side. All cats shot..?

Coronavirus can infect cats — dogs, not so much But scientists say it’s unclear whether felines can spread the virus to people, so pet owners need not panic yet.

Reverting the the actual subject of this thread and moving away from the amateur epidemiologists.

I suspect I won't go back to flying after this. Not so much because of this but for the last couple of years I have not been quite as passionate. I was intending to keep flying until my next BFR. Over the last year I have flown enough to keep current and competent however it does start to become a chore although I do always enjoy it once I drag the hangar door open. I did have a couple of flights I was intending to do such as flying the great ocean road which I have done a few times. This enforced break seems like a natural end to what has been a fantastic pursuit for me. In fact this makes it all the easier for me. I obtained my certificate at the Oaks in 1989. There are lots of other things I want to do.

For others it is important to remember that this will end, so hang in there, maybe use the opportunity to refresh theory etc.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

Reverting the the actual subject of this thread and moving away from the amateur epidemiologists...

Heh... so yer went back and had a look at the entire link..?

The first up map needs to be read with the other graphs etc to get an understanding.

https://www.euromomo.eu/index.html

Seems even a Democrat can come up with an intelligent idea occasionally....?

“...Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) is demanding the racial data of those contracting the novel coronavirus, contending that it is “critical to ensuring an equitable and just response to this crisis across the board.”...”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/04/04/elizabeth-warren-demands-critical-racial-data-those-coronavirus/

Although, even though the reason ding-bat warren wants the data is suspect, the data can though have more basic medical use...

“.....a bit of racial-based data: And the data showed a pandemic within the pandemic: African Americans are significantly overrepresented in infection rates in Illinois, while whites and Latinos are significantly underrepresented. African Americans make up 14.6 percent of the state population, but 28 percent of confirmed cases of the coronavirus...”

The rate of infection can have zero to do with the particulars of a population and more to do with the lottery of when the first virus carriers came to any place. That said, if it can clearly be demonstrated that say darker skin coloured people have been more impacted by the CCP virus then lighter coloured people then there may very well be a useful health tool there.

Darker skinned people need more sun exposure then light skinned for their body’s to make vitamin D amongst other things.

More sun = ?

Lookout, it’ll be the roaring 20’s all over again...........?

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]

Seems even a Democrat can come up with an intelligent idea occasionally....?

... ding-bat warren...

FB if you are trying to convert people to your way of thinking, then I suggest a more respectful tone is required. Insults like those you have used are the stock-in-trade of low-intellect conmen with nothing to offer but division and hate.

I would commend to you the excellent video in Post #436 above; that scientist speaks thoughtfully, carefully and with enormous authority. He doesn't insult people, he doesn't criticise the dumb leadership he has had to battle with. He gets his point across with clarity and respect.

If, on the other hand, you are just letting off steam, then I've tolerated your rants for long enough.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by Old Koreelah
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3