How has COVID 19 affected your flying or intended flying

SSCBD

Hi folks!

Have found the different perspectives voiced on this thread most illuminating. Its important we have these debates to decide upon our collective actions and policy responses very carefully.

But back to the OP about Covid impacts on flying. I had cause to chat with my aviation insurance bloke yesterday and he told me "Alan, the worlds gone nuts! Its bedlam, my phone hasn't stopped ringing!"

So asked what was up? He told me he had blokes calling him to tell him their aircraft ware parked across the border and they couldn't get to them, some charter guys were having problems with the 2m spacing regs and were trying to rip out seats and toss them out of the hatch, others were having their charter routes or scenic flights closed and everybody wanted to know whether insurance would cover lost business owing to 'downtime'.

Just yesterday RAAus members received a message from the two Michaels highlighting deliberate vagueness in CASA instructions about flying at present, but erring on the side of caution and suggesting we stay grounded.

Me, I have my own home strip and could restrict flight to within the boundaries of my own property. But you know what? Unless a worthwhile reason for me to fly comes up, Im going to stay grounded for now. I think thats probably in the best interests of the community.

Some here may feel the entitlement to keep flying through this crisis. Its an individual decision. I've made mine.

Our aircraft will still be there when this is over or we genuinely need them sooner.

best of luck to all

Alan

Edited by NT5224
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is surprisingly still good. Just 7 cases yesterday. All imports. 3 picked up at airport temp check and 4 from monitored quarantine.

Yes. 4 weeks. Hoping Australia dodges the worst of this. Seems everything is being done that can be done. My wife gives me daily reports from French island. 100 people on 40,000 acres is pretty good social distancing. People came over on ferry and raided the little local French island shop.

Taiwan has the supermarket raids on noodles and toilet paper. Prime minister here dared people to try and buy it all. Said they couldn’t and I’m always impressed that the stock keeps reappearing over about half shelf space daily. She might be right!

• Like 1

How does it contradict what I’m saying ?..?

We are NOT Korea. The Dr alludes to comparing Korea to other parts of the world. The Dr also notes the trouble Korea will have on an on-going basis with their own young people re-infecting all. The virus outbreaks will continue to re-occur. Going off what the Dr alluded to, I’d suggest that just because this week they have an apparent reduction in known cases that the weekly reports will vary wildly as time goes on.

Korea was well prepared for the China virus.

Korea is a small easy to manage country.

Korea is basically of one people - Not a mass of independent minded immigrants.

Korea has a large manufacturing base.

Korea has a large medical related research and manufacturing base.

I’ll repeat - Korea were ready for the virus. So, Korea is certainly a lesson for Australia, though it is not a direct comparison to Australia.

AND - One wonders how Korea will be going in six months time when all those raw materials it depends on are not turning up due to the rest of the world being under a hysteria induced lock-down................?

Correct on all aspects

Sad day. This morning I drove to the airport and brought my little plane home for long-term storage.

Each time I do this, the steel bores need to be oiled to postpone corrosion as long a possible.

That operation requires the engine to be warmed thoroughly. To do this without overheating the heads, lots of airflow is required. That means taxi runs at 2000rpm up and down the airstrip; if full flaps are deployed it might lift off and skim the strip just above stall speed...

• Like 2

The real issue about flying recreationally or not seems not about the actual flight but driving to the aerodrome does not fit withing any of the rules unless you work there or it is where you take your exercise (which means you would have had to walk there). With Boaties the problem has been that Marine Rescue are on a very limited manpower given many of their members are retired or over 70 & can't be there.

The issue with flying solo and returning to the aerodrome fits all the social distancing rules. The biggest risk is going to get fuel with everyone handling the fuel pump nozzle. The other issue with not flying is that skills begin to degrade and the aircraft engine and other mechanical components begin deteriorating.

• Like 1

Hi folks!

Have found the different perspectives voiced on this thread most illuminating. Its important we have these debates to decide upon our collective actions and policy responses very carefully.

But back to the OP about Covid impacts on flying. I had cause to chat with my aviation insurance bloke yesterday and he told me "Alan, the worlds gone nuts! Its bedlam, my phone hasn't stopped ringing!"

So asked what was up? He told me he had blokes calling him to tell him their aircraft ware parked across the border and they couldn't get to them, some charter guys were having problems with the 2m spacing regs and were trying to rip out seats and toss them out of the hatch, others were having their charter routes or scenic flights closed and everybody wanted to know whether insurance would cover lost business owing to 'downtime'.

Just yesterday RAAus members received a message from the two Michaels highlighting deliberate vagueness in CASA instructions about flying at present, but erring on the side of caution and suggesting we stay grounded.

Me, I have my own home strip and could restrict flight to within the boundaries of my own property. But you know what? Unless a worthwhile reason for me to fly comes up, Im going to stay grounded for now. I think thats probably in the best interests of the community.

Some here may feel the entitlement to keep flying through this crisis. Its an individual decision. I've made mine.

Our aircraft will still be there when this is over or we genuinely need them sooner.

best of luck to all

Alan

It doesn't surprise me that is what you call "vagueness" from the two Michaels. The reply to my request to CASA had a classification which protects CASA, and RAA would, as part of the structure have the same. The Chief Medical officer is effectively making aviation decisions within the State of Emergency. State Police and State Health Officers are handling Compliance and Enforcement now, not CASA or RAA (in respect to health).

We are now in Stage three with the four easy to understand essential reasons for leaving your home; private and recreational flying are not among them, the even simpler message being "IF YOU CAN STAY HOME YOU MUST STAY HOME"

There are still around 3% Bondi Bandits who don't want to stay home are are throwing up Dorothy Dixers, but Victorian Police were kicking them out of the Parks and Gardens this morning, and the Victorian Chief medical Officer exaplained that an exception was made for couple lioving apart, but when the journalists tried him on with questions similar to "Can I go somewhere where there are no people and do something there" the answers were a stream of Nos.

I'm not sure what news you're getting where you are, but apart from Australia.gov.au, and the NT government site which are posting latest links everfy day, the Covid-19 message which should be appearing on all Australian Facebook pages, the Commonwealth WhatsAapp link, there is the NT News which you can access from your property.

This mornings NT News covers:

Harts Range couple test positive in Alice Springs

22 positive Territory-related cases (two more this morning)

Howard Springs camp reopened to house cases

Second person fined for failing to self-isolate

100 Australian Federal Police heading to NT to manage borders and biosecurity zones

Compensation for lost business will have been addressed by the Chief Minister who is part of the National Cabinet; just a matter of asking.

Good decision to stay grounded. If you were to have an accident you could be infected by first responders coming to help you, or worse, no one being available. RFDS were operating at full capacity about a week ago and we are not in the peak yet (I'm not sure if that was just a busy day or not). It's not an individual decision by the way, fines range from $1,000 to $1,650.00 for small offences then go up to around $6,000 to $10,000, and the most severe I've seen is ten years imprisonment.

I wouldn't be trawling website looking for an escape.

Sad day. This morning I drove to the airport and brought my little plane home for long-term storage.

Each time I do this, the steel bores need to be oiled to postpone corrosion as long a possible.

That operation requires the engine to be warmed thoroughly. To do this without overheating the heads, lots of airflow is required. That means taxi runs at 2000rpm up and down the airstrip; if full flaps are deployed it might lift off and skim the strip just above stall speed...

I understand that but how do you equate that with the quarter million breadwinners who lost, on one day, their income for the forseeable future?

We've been told to say at home to save lives.

This lock down will be over in under 2 weeks. I have a number of family in law enforcement people are going nut's.

There is no way this lasts very long one way or the other.

Just to stay on topic......

I mixed the water back into the oil this morning. Not a breath of air leading to a glass smooth flight. Only problem was low level fog in a 7 mile radius off the airfield so didn't go far. Just bored some holes in the sky for my own mental health. Nice.

Ken

• Like 1

This lock down will be over in under 2 weeks

Lets review this post in two weeks time.

I were sharing some other posts here my father in law. He spent many hours as a young child in Birmingham in a bomb shelter hearing bombs exploding. All we are being asked to do is lay on the couch and watch netflix.

What ever the death rate turns out to be it comes down to numbers requiring medical care. A small percentage of a large number is still a strain on the system

I have so far only posted links to scientific papers but this news clip is what IS happening at the pointy end. So far the measures taken seem to be lessening the burden on the health system. I think it is entirely reasonable for these people working in ER to feel that we should be doing our bit to reduce the surge.

I just wonder if you believe these health workers are panic merchants.

Chicago doctor on why pandemic "scares" him

• Like 2

From the COVID-19, Australia: Epidemiology Report 8: (full report here ) of 27 March covering the period to 22nd March:-

There have been 1,765 confirmed cases, including seven deaths, reported in Australia as at 23:59 AEDT 22 March 2020. Of confirmed cases, 43% were reported from NSW, 21% from Qld, 18% from Vic, 8% from SA, 7% from WA, 2% from ACT, 1% from Tas, and 0.2% from NT;• Sixty-five percent of the total number of reported cases so far have been during the current reporting period;• Hospitalisation status was recorded for 717 cases, of which 26% (n = 190) were reported to have been hospitalised due to their COVID-19 infection. Of these hospitalised cases, ICU (Intensive Care Unit) status was recorded for 87 cases, of which 20% (n = 17) were were admitted to an ICU, with two cases requiring ventilation.

So about 40% of the confirmed cases required hospitalisation but only 11% were hospitalised due to the COVID-19 infection. The rest must have had underlying health conditions which may have rendered them susceptible to any respiratory infection.

Another interesting point is that the pollys, health bureaucracy and media are not saying how many have recovered. This is evident on the John Hopkins Uni site which records that only 10% of the 5000 odd confirmed cases have recovered, 422 of those are recorded for Victoria alone.

Fishy? you be the judge.

My overriding concern is that when the hysteria is over, the undeclared martial law that has been instituted, remains with government realising that it can use unfettered power without the population resisting. All they need to do is to create a crisis.

...If you were to have an accident you could be infected by first responders coming to help you, or worse, no one being available. RFDS were operating at full capacity about a week ago and we are not in the peak yet...

Our VRA unit has been called to more road accidents since the shutdown started; strange because traffic is greatly reduced. Our numbers have also been hammered. For Monday's callout only three of us were available.

• Informative 1

This is evident on the John Hopkins Uni site which records that only 10% of the 5000 odd confirmed cases have recovered

The figure (which is a little old now) is 5043 and 501 recovered. Remember though that the infected rate is as of today but it takes 2 to 3 weeks to recover. In other words those who recover today were a percentage of the number infect a couple weeks ago

• Helpful 1

The figure (which is a little old now) is 5043 and 501 recovered. Remember though that the infected rate is as of today but it takes 2 to 3 weeks to recover. In other words those who recover today were a percentage of the number infect a couple weeks ago

So how come more people recover in Victoria?

Off the top of my head I am not sure but one thing i note is that the John Hopkins figures are a little behind.

So what is your theory? some kind of conspiracy?

My overriding concern is that when the hysteria is over, the undeclared martial law that has been instituted, remains with government realising that it can use unfettered power without the population resisting. All they need to do is to create a crisis.

Check the powers related to State of Emergency and State of Disaster, and who gets them, amd the dates. They weren't written yesterday.

We're tough bastards down here, brought up not to whinge about a little flu germ; to get on with it; stand up for the Nation because no one else will.

In a high school science experiment the learning is often about how to do and report the results correctly. The sometimes conflicting data on covid19 is because not all jurisdictions are doing the experiment in the same way.

Edited by Thruster88
  • Like 3

We're tough bastards down here, brought up not to whinge about a little flu germ; to get on with it; stand up for the Nation because no one else will.

Says the most vocal advocate for "RUN and Hide"..... :stirrer:

“You may not like the wealthy people, but they are the ones paying for most of the stuff that most people get from their government. If that goes away who's going to pay for your healthcare and pension then?

I have no prejudice against wealthy people, but I question your statement that they are paying for most of the stuff people get from government. There is a huge difference between comparing the income tax rates of wage and salary earners where the highest paid 2% pay the largest Amount in income tax, and the taxes paid by owners of large mining corporations (for example) who have access to an enormous array of minimisation measures most of us can’t even comprehend.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

Looks like they have trouble actually identifying Coronavirus at times...?

From back in 2003...

“...an outbreak of respiratory illness due to HCoV-OC43. The observed attack rate of 67% and case fatality rate of 8% underscore the pathogenic potential of HCoVs in frail populations. This adds to other observations underscoring that CoVs other than SARS-CoV may be responsible for a broader spectrum of disease than coryza alone...”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2095096/