Light plane down in ocean off Redcliffe (Brisbane) 19-12-21

There is a Youtube video simulation of the accident based on ADSB data.  It looks from the simulation as though he lost the engine late on crosswind at 700ft.  It looks like he turned back to mainland and almost made it - but sadly missed it only just….

Keeping the gear up would have given him that extra bit of glide distance - I wonder at what stage he selected gear down?  

My heart goes out to the families affected by this tragedy.  Is there something in this that we can learn?  Maybe circuits over water should be conducted closer to land? Keep gear up when over water?

Looks to me that he did what most pilots would have done apart from perhaps the early left turn although maybe that was due to his engine problem. No steep turns, didn’t stall in the turn, although perhaps tried to stretch the glide and stalled wings level just before he went in. Would probably have come out alright if the gear had been up.

Edited by rgmwa
  • Agree 1

The youtuber, as far as i can tell, has simply made it up, in an effort to garner views... there is no adsb data available for todays flight from what I can tell. The last adsb data available for WMM (that i can find) is from the 17/10. In saying that, its possible, although i'm not sure if it is the done thing, that the ATSB has contacted the many adsb sites and requested the data to be purged after the fact.

Regardless, it's very poor form of the youtuber to put out a simulation on the day of this happening!

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Hongie said:

The youtuber, as far as i can tell, has simply made it up, in an effort to garner views... there is no adsb data available for todays flight from what I can tell. The last adsb data available for WMM (that i can find) is from the 17/10. In saying that, its possible, although i'm not sure if it is the done thing, that the ATSB has contacted the many adsb sites and requested the data to be purged after the fact.

Regardless, it's very poor form of the youtuber to put out a simulation on the day of this happening!

Exactly what I thought 

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very tragic crash. I was wondering why the gear was down, it should have been left up till landing was assured. The 114 is a nice machine, but I think it only has one door? Tragic if fuselage distortion prevented the door opening, if people were in a condition to get out. Always unlatch doors for ditching. Tragic, tragic for those poor kids. A terrible event.

Edited by F10
Word Spacing
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, F10 said:

This is a very tragic crash. I was wondering why the gear was down, it should have been left up till landing was assured. The 114 is a nice machine, but I think it only has one door? Tragic if fuselage distortion prevented the door opening, if people were in a condition to get out. Always unlatch doors for ditching. Tragic, tragic for those poor kids. A terrible event.

Two doors.  Really nice aeroplane.  Not a quick as a Bonza, but very comfortable an roomy.

10 hours ago, F10 said:

We will never know the answer to that!

The rear section of the fuselage is crumpled so had fair loads applied to it.. It's a tragic end to what should have been a fun occasion. In a retract plane the recommendation is to leave the gear up for ditching, but we don't know the circumstances of that. The electrics may have been not up to it with the motor stopped. Nev

• Agree 1