The funniest read i have had in a long time !

I am not seeing the humor. The pilot sounds like a dick, the aircraft was a POS. It could have all been made good. The aircraft had not flown for two years, that is not an alarm bell, it is a siren. Just gives experimental aircraft a poor reputation.  

• Agree 1

Well I found it funny and sad. I appreciated his honesty. I'd have given up after the first problem. Why he believed the BS provided by the seller is unfathomable but he kept on  fixing things and making mistakes and failing to check other things. It was a good interesting story even if everything about it regarding airmanship and maintenance was a train wreck.

• Like 1

Only an idiot would have kept going after it was obvious he'd bought a lemon.  It's astonishing that he survived, and even more that he's been willing to write about the whole sorry saga. Luckily the plane sank, or he'd probably still be crashing it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Arron25 said:

Hadn't he lost hydraulics (multiple agains) so couldn't raise the gear... 🙈🙉🙊

He hade promised the FAA he wouldn't retract the gear so that he could be sure of a sound landing on the runway, but you could be right. The photo of him at the beginning is also a bit telling.

• Like 1

What kind of imbecile spends $110K on an aircraft he's never inspected, simply relying on the word of the seller - then doesn't do a comprehensive check over the whole aircraft before taking to the air, relying on finding the faults whilst airborne - and then, on top of all that - doesn't even bother to insure it? "Jackass" doesn't even begin to describe his lack of functioning brain cells. He ought to run for the Presidency.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I'm sure if you gave me half a dozen aircraft to wreck, I could probably survive landing gear up, deadstick landing on water, landing at 3:30AM with no lighting - but there wouldn't be any useable aircraft left when I'd finished! - that's if I had also possessed the sheer luck this bloke had, too!

I note how the investigators remarked the reason the aircraft sank when it was supposed to float, was most likely due to hull damage cause by impact with the ground during previous botched landings! But you wouldn't check for hull damage after a ground strike, would you? :doh:

This bloke suffers from the problem that has killed many pilots - an inability to make sound, reasoned, rational, well-thought out, logical decisions, when major decisions have to be made, involving flight and its associated calculated risks.

Unfortunately, he's not alone with his scatty, unfocussed and irrational thought patterns, there's a lot of it about.

Hard to know what was happening. He was only aged 60, so frontal lobe dementia is unlikely but possible. Poor judgement, grumpy, insight-less. Poor financial management. Did not care about any of it. 

He did not even do a proper preflight, much less an inspection. He flew a strange aircraft *at night* while not current. 

The strange part was he seemed to be doing all that while he was broke. The brokeness would have contributed to the get home itis. He deserved to be punched in the face. 

There's a minimum weight for the Drifter front seat and there may be others.. C of G  is very critical for That SEA plane and power changes produce strong pitch changes I don't actually LIKE the plane at all and it would be a deadly spinner.  Powered trimmers need to be checked prior to flight for full travel and in correct sense but especially after servicing.. It's an interesting READ and you'd think he has exhausted all of the luck one should be entitled to in one lifetime. His risk management score  is at the extreme low end. He is the most in need of a good "Human Factors Course" of anyone I've heard of.  Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I'm still not convinced the writeup is a true story. Surely nobody could be such an irresponsible fool and then brag about it.

Because it was in Kathryn's Report, I assumed it was real, but then there is this disclaimer....

Disclaimer

All the news articles and pictures on this blog to which we link are the property of the respective owners.  We have and claim no copyrights or other interests in these articles and pictures, which are collected from various internet sources and are in the public domain. 
  • Informative 1

The blokes story is documented in numerous different articles from various sources - plus there's the FAA and NTSB reports. It's all true, unfortunately.

https://fearoflanding.com/accidents/accident-reports/the-sad-story-of-the-seawind-3000-n8uu/

https://data.ntsb.gov/Docket?ProjectID=103484

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/265150

Edited by onetrack
  • Informative 1