What to wear in the cockpit?

No synthetics, they melt onto/into your skin.

To get anywhere I must fly over tiger country. So....

Leather shoes or boots. Definately never thongs or sandals because they offer no upper foot protection at all.

Shorts or jeans. Shirt with collar.

In winter a Nomex jacket with knife, matches, phone, keys, wallet etc. and most importantly my PLB. In summer a fishing vest instead.

....And most importantly, especially....don't forget a HAT!

Be aware that if you are forced down, all you may have is what you stand up in.

• Like 4

Don't forget some WATER! How many pilots who carried out successful forced landings, have perished, for a simple lack of a few litres of water!

Modern communications are a huge help, but you do not have that 100% guarantee of communication, unless you have a PLB, and it works as expected - or you're able to activate it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

You dress/ fly according to the mission. I keep a well stocked good ‘last resort’ survival kit in my main x country machine and basic first aid and water in my local drivers. I never wear things or shorts, strong leather boots and well fitting clothes, the later has often saved someone’s life by keeping the body secure when injured.

Unless the Extreme opossite happens. 

" a novice game hunter lost in Africa,  climbed a tree to try & find his position, and companions 

He slipped and got caught by his clothing, upside-down, trapped without any hope of rescue.

He shot himself tbrough the head !.

His companions,  in a gully ( out of his sight ), heard the shot, only to find him beyond help.".

Heard on the news in the fifties or sixties. 

spacesailor

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recall my wife's instructor always insisted that pilots fly with long pants not shorts, in case of fire. Im not sure how much difference pants would make. I tend to fly in shorts for comfort and an easier and faster exit if I need to.  Never wear boots. with brake pedals and rudder pedals together don't want to risk landing on the brakes...

Cheers

Alan 

Edited by NT5224

I'm not sure how much difference pants would make.

It makes a sizeable difference, the instructor was correct. Even if you aren't on fire yourself, the pants offer a sizeable level of protection against radiated heat from a fire.

• Like 1

We need to wear something that makes us not stall the aircraft or fly in cloud if we are VFR only pilots.  That will reduce the fire hazard by about 95% based on years of ATSB and other accident investigations. Simples.   

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

We need to wear something that makes us not stall the aircraft or fly in cloud if we are VFR only pilots.  That will reduce the fire hazard by about 95% based on years of ATSB and other accident investigations. Simples.   

Thinking outside the box.

Mercedes Benz pioneered the same thing in the auto industry in the 1960s.

The chances of a post-crash fire for large passenger transport aircraft is 20%, reports the FAA. The chances of a post-crash fire for light aircraft under 5700kgs is much higher again, but there are no percentage figures that I can currently find.

I would expect that post-crash fire figure, for under 5700kg, is at least 30%. Recreational aircraft would also certainly come in with a higher post-crash fire figure again - although the position of fuel tanks would have a bearing on this. 

https://skybrary.aero/articles/light-aircraft-post-crash-fires

Edited by onetrack
forgot to add link ...

Fire after a crash is too common sadly! I lost a good mate many years ago in a croppy accident, he survived the impact but was trapped and burned alive, haunted me for years!🙁Imagine the pilots of WW1, fire in flight was common and no chute!🙁

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

We need to wear something that makes us not stall the aircraft or fly in cloud if we are VFR only pilots.  

images-1.jpg.fda5227c710dc95075fe4d34f6ceec63.jpg

Edited by Garfly
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 3

1 hour ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

Also, an argument in favour of diesel aircraft no one seems to mention. 

Almost nobody…Several Jodel people have converted to diesel power. Reduced chance of fire is one attraction, the other economy. My initial enthusiasm has waned due to issues with waxing of fuel and the extra weight of a good reliable diesel engine. 

• Agree 1

Hard to argue with official stats. But I have seen lots if photos of crashed LSA’s and don’t remember any where there was a fire. 

Here is just one recent RA crash where the aircraft lost power, clipped a powerline, then crashed into trees, and caught fire. The pilot died, and the passenger was taken to hospital with severe burns.

I seem to recall this passenger later died from his burns.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-05/gold-coast-light-plane-crash-jacobs-well/12122992

Diesel is too waxxy as a useful aviation fuel and avtur burns well and JP5 even better. .Post crash  fire is also common in RPT. Lube oil starts to burn easily on a hot surface because it sticks there. Engine fires on start up were  not that rare either. with Big radials.. If there's a fuel spill on an apron, you will see some action quickly.  Nev

• Agree 1