Moving an Ultra-light from NSW to TAS?

shaz

5 hours ago, Bosi72 said:

Also, a number of 4wd's, utes and cars these days have a trailer sway control.

This is in-itself part of the problem. I refer to the unstoppable march of technology. Don't get me wrong, technology enables me to fly etc etc not against it, just recognise that so often (always?) there is a down side, rarely considered , to every "improvement/enhancement".

In this case the dumbing down of driver skills.

There was a time we all drove manuals, had to be alert to trailer sway and know how to counter it, leave decent stopping distances (particularly when towing)& not rely on the ABS to get you out of trouble - not any more, or so the weekend worriers (don't) think.

Steve L, above, ".... common to see them overheated due to riding on t’s common to see them overheated due to riding on long downhills" Why?  because the driver either doesn't understand engine braking OR is to lazy to use it. I don't drive an auto transmission, but understand that they can be changed down, to access engine braking but those that have been "trained" on autos (or become habituated) don't seem to understand this, preferring to rely on the brakes alone.

Rant over

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

A lot of modern vehicles  have very little engine braking.  Plenty of times  I smell brakes on late vehicles which are NOT even towing anything. A few months ago, I went down Bulli Pass after  years of not doing it and it's never changed and still needs attention to brake use. the amount of energy the brakes must absorb is LARGE the same as the effort to go back up is, Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

This is in-itself part of the problem. I refer to the unstoppable march of technology. Don't get me wrong, technology enables me to fly etc etc not against it, just recognise that so often (always?) there is a down side, rarely considered , to every "improvement/enhancement".

In this case the dumbing down of driver skills.

and I agree..

My '17 Colorado is manual and it came from factory with the sway control, ie. it wasn't optional. Regardless I've never felt nor experienced the trailer control system kicking in although I travelled half a continent towing a trailer.

However, last week I hired a new Ranger and must admit the "lane departure" feature was scary when fighting the steering wheel. On top of it I didn't like the delay in "engine stop start" feature, but  thankfully there's a button to turn it off.

Apparently that's the present/future..

• Agree 1

The sad thing is the newer the model the more complicated and electronic nightmare they are, that applies to all vehicles. We still run and only ever have run Mack trucks (now Volvo) To maintain reliability I have been purchasing 1987 - 1990 models which some call vintage, then fully rebuilding them. We’re on the 3rd one now and after they come out the workshop it’s hard to think they’re not new.

what we have gained. . . . 

No computer to shut it down when a wire comes off a sensor (usually in heavy traffic)

The driver does all the driving and makes all the decisions, even pushes the clutch pedal.
Doesn’t need batteries or power to start.

Uses less fuel than comparable HP computer models

Seat belts NOT required

Steve 

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

3 hours ago, Bosi72 said:

and I agree..

My '17 Colorado is manual and it came from factory with the sway control, ie. it wasn't optional. Regardless I've never felt nor experienced the trailer control system kicking in although I travelled half a continent towing a trailer.

However, last week I hired a new Ranger and must admit the "lane departure" feature was scary when fighting the steering wheel. On top of it I didn't like the delay in "engine stop start" feature, but  thankfully there's a button to turn it off.

Apparently that's the present/future..

The stop/start button usually operates on the "out leg". Takes a few days to get used to, but removes the need to judge when the engine is started. i.e. you just stab the button then leave it alone. I'll guarantee that after a week or two, you'd never go back to a positive push button where you have to judge when to take your finger off; it's so much more precise.

Agree with you on the Lane Keeping System, that's Level 1 Autonomous territory and it makes a lot of mistakes. That's why the industry isn't talking autonomous like they used to.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, Steve L said:

The sad thing is the newer the model the more complicated and electronic nightmare they are, that applies to all vehicles. We still run and only ever have run Mack trucks (now Volvo) To maintain reliability I have been purchasing 1987 - 1990 models which some call vintage, then fully rebuilding them. We’re on the 3rd one now and after they come out the workshop it’s hard to think they’re not new.

what we have gained. . . . 

No computer to shut it down when a wire comes off a sensor (usually in heavy traffic)

The driver does all the driving and makes all the decisions, even pushes the clutch pedal.
Doesn’t need batteries or power to start.

Uses less fuel than comparable HP computer models

Seat belts NOT required

Steve 

Be aware that there's currently a drive to get old trucks off the road for Climate Change reasons.

HVIA was one industry body talking it up. They were being backed up by manufacturers where some sub-standard marketers think that would be a good way to increase sales. I've waded in with the fact that it would wipe out the Low Annual Distance industries, and is ridiculous since CO2 output varies with the fuel quality as much as the truck.

At one stage when Prime Mover prices took a big upward jump I tried to design one with just the basics, like a 1913 model,  for short haul work, but finished up having to add enough items and systems that there wasn't a huge saving.

• Informative 1

In Victoria nothing is allowed to project beyond the vehicle. This is enforced in some areas by the RTA. In the Kyneton area you can’t have a plastic down pipe sticking out the back of your vehicle. The RTA training facility is here. No rule of thumb (4 feet or 1.2m for younger folk) allowed.

• Informative 1

59 minutes ago, tillmanr said:

In Victoria nothing is allowed to project beyond the vehicle. This is enforced in some areas by the RTA. In the Kyneton area you can’t have a plastic down pipe sticking out the back of your vehicle. The RTA training facility is here. No rule of thumb (4 feet or 1.2m for younger folk) allowed.

Trucks are allowed to have an overhang of 60% of the wheelbase in Victoria, unless the rule has changed. 

• Informative 1

14 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

Trucks are allowed to have an overhang of 60% of the wheelbase in Victoria, unless the rule has changed. 

That’s the body ROH. Load limits are another regulation which has been changing.

• Informative 1

26 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

That’s the body ROH. Load limits are another regulation which has been changing.

In fact I have to do some work setting up calculations shortly so I'll look it up.

The NHVR (National Heavy Vehicle Regulator) was supposed to tie up the few loose ends which disadvantaged some interstate transport operators delivering through multiple States but it's turned into a nightmare with a massive office in Brisbane, offices in various states, and very little communication.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

In fact I have to do some work setting up calculations shortly so I'll look it up.

The NHVR (National Heavy Vehicle Regulator) was supposed to tie up the few loose ends which disadvantaged some interstate transport operators delivering through multiple States but it's turned into a nightmare with a massive office in Brisbane, offices in various states, and very little communication.

The whole system is very confusing.  I have just had my crane truck in to change to Vic rego.

$15000 later it's roadworthy. Only had a Queensland RW in April. I got pulled up in NSW in a brand new daf. They put a work order on it because Victorian mudguards were not acceptable in NSW. There are millions of examples like this. Should be the same in all states.  Just leave w.a out of it. They don't follow all the retarded eastern states rubbish.

Logbooks. Cameras everywhere. RTA  a holes waiting to pounce and take all your profits in fines.  

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

The whole system is very confusing.  I have just had my crane truck in to change to Vic rego.

$15000 later it's roadworthy. Only had a Queensland RW in April. I got pulled up in NSW in a brand new daf. They put a work order on it because Victorian mudguards were not acceptable in NSW. There are millions of examples like this. Should be the same in all states.  Just leave w.a out of it. They don't follow all the retarded eastern states rubbish.

Logbooks. Cameras everywhere. RTA  a holes waiting to pounce and take all your profits in fines.  

Agree with you on WA, they have the best engineers in the Country on regulations.

When the Daf was pulled up on mudgards was it NSW officers or NHVR officers? As far as I can see NHVR are taking over the State Compliance and Enforcement, but are very erratic.

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

Agree with you on WA, they have the best engineers in the Country on regulations.

When the Daf was pulled up on mudgards was it NSW officers or NHVR officers? As far as I can see NHVR are taking over the State Compliance and Enforcement, but are very erratic.

RTA bega

• Informative 1

4 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

RTA bega

"Services transferred to the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator

On 1 August 2022, the NSW Government transferred the delivery of NSW's HVNL regulatory services to the NHVR."   

Not sure how this affects you but if RTA Bega are not gone, they may be soon.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, tillmanr said:

As per the VicRoads site trucks are different to light vehicles. You can overhang 1.2m over the front but nothing to the rear.  Small trailers also cannot have rear overhang. 

Problem is Vicroads is now Department of Transport and handles less, and the Regulatory Body coming is is NHVR based in Brisbane, so a lot of Queensland influences.   So far today I've found two current load dimensions, different to each other, one a prime chance of killing a following truck driver in a rear end accident, or decapitating a car driver. We're in a twilight zone. I need to talk to a few people to find out what's happening.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I moved my Aeropup Gympie to Rockhampton, used my 3.5t car trailer with tyres at 15PSI,  and breezed along at 80-90kmh.  Kept an eye on the hinge point of the wings and had no damage problems.  It hung over the back of the trailer a little, was passed by a few HWP Cars but not pulled over, they were probably happy I was driving steadily……

D4E4E8F4-176C-4D66-9C39-CC4860EDAF05.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

The wings (90kg) were sitting in the rear third, and the fuselage was in the front third (200kg) .

all the plane weight is on the mains.  nose has to be pulled down without engine inplace.

probably 100kg on the ball.  Noone sat in the plane while it was in  transit. 

plane move 20221015_174408LQ.jpg

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1

Already the low cost of using a professional transport company seems to be coming out on top.

Thinking this through, with the Melbourne-Devonport connection, those open trailers wouldn't be suitable. The vehicles are parked by ship staff and often there's damage, knocks. There's also the possibility of danage or pilfering on the trip.

My thoughts now are, have your dimensions ready and contact a Furniture Removalist for a price. The aircraft will be safer inside a van, and there should be stacks of room.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Crate it, as I initially suggested - and that solves all the problems of transit damage - and makes it highly attractive to transporters/removalists. Removalists generally perform removal work at very reasonable prices.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Crate it, as I initially suggested - and that solves all the problems of transit damage - and makes it highly attractive to transporters/removalists. Removalists generally perform removal work at very reasonable prices.

Agree, I can still remember the 300x600mm by 5metre box my new skycraft Scout mk3 arrived in. Might need a little bigger for the Rans and a few hours dismantling.  

• Like 3