Rotax Parts Supply Problems

I have been trying to get an availabity & price on a Rotax Extra Large Oil Cooler 886107, for about 6 weeks - B Flood seems to be in some sort of a staffing crisis & unable to assist .  I have contacted in excess of 6 national suppliers and either been rebuffed with - they do not supply outside their country, nil stock or both - whats going on?

25 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

I have been trying to get an availabity & price on a Rotax Extra Large Oil Cooler 886107, for about 6 weeks - B Flood seems to be in some sort of a staffing crisis & unable to assist .  I have contacted in excess of 6 national suppliers and either been rebuffed with - they do not supply outside their country, nil stock or both - whats going on?

I believe Floods have sold to a U.K. company.

The company below seems to be happy to provide delivery to NSW, with 36 Euros quoted as the freight charge when you place the cooler in your shopping cart. Are they one of the suppliers that says they have no stock?

https://www.cycloonholland.nl/webshop/rotax-parts-en/886107-oelkuehler/?lang=en

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KRviator said:

Does it have to be Rotax specific? Could you grab an oil cooler from Vans?

No BUT I would preferer to start with the Rotax products ( no guessing as to compatibility).

Knowing the 886107 specifications (all I have is external dimensions) would also be helpful as this could then lead to a non genuine oil cooler that meets/exceeds the Rotax cooler performance.

10 hours ago, onetrack said:

The company below seems to be happy to provide delivery to NSW, with 36 Euros quoted as the freight charge when you place the cooler in your shopping cart. Are they one of the suppliers that says they have no stock?

https://www.cycloonholland.nl/webshop/rotax-parts-en/886107-oelkuehler/?lang=en

Thanks for that Onetrack - will follow up.

58 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

No BUT I would preferer to start with the Rotax products ( no guessing as to compatibility).

Knowing the 886107 specifications (all I have is external dimensions) would also be helpful as this could then lead to a non genuine oil cooler that meets/exceeds the Rotax cooler performance.

Just checked out Vans:

912iS Oil Cooler (no diemnsions/specificatons)  - ONLY AVAILABLE TO 912Is PURCHASERS $625US

912 Oil Cooler ( = to Rotax Large Oil Cooler ) -  ON BACK ORDER $350US

Prices were worth having.

14 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

I have contacted in excess of 6 national suppliers and either been rebuffed with - they do not supply outside their country

This is where you make use of this community. Ask if there is someone who is a member here and lives in a European country would accept delivery of the item, then forward it on to you. I believe that you can pay the supplier from here, but specify a European delivery address.

Aren't those Rotax engines used in those  rs-about three-wheeler motorcycles? The filter might be available from them.

21 minutes ago, old man emu said:

This is where you make use of this community. Ask if there is someone who is a member here and lives in a European country would accept delivery of the item, then forward it on to you. I believe that you can pay the supplier from here, but specify a European delivery address.

Aren't those Rotax engines used in those  rs-about three-wheeler motorcycles? The filter might be available from them.

Agree wondered why cannot buy through his ATEC dealership connections.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, old man emu said:

Any Dutch volunteers ??

Problem might be supply - so far only Cycloon Holland seem to have stock E317.27 ($505.08AU) PLUS delivery

Don't Cycloon ship directly to you in NSW, Skippy? Their website has the ability to put in shipping to NSW, so I'm presuming they ship to any address you can get a shipping estimate for.

It appears to me you can't be too choosy, and you have to go with whoever has stock of that particular cooler.

What I found interesting was Cycloon state the country of manufacture for the cooler is Romania, so it would be good to find who the manufacturer was in Romania, and see if you could acquire the unit directly from them.

Edited by onetrack

47 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Don't Cycloon ship directly to you in NSW, Skippy? Their website has the ability to put in shipping to NSW, so I'm presuming they ship to any address you can get a shipping estimate for.

It appears to me you can't be too choosy, and you have to go with whoever has stock of that particular cooler.

What I found interesting was Cycloon state the country of manufacture for the cooler is Romania, so it would be good to find who the manufacturer was in Romania, and see if you could acquire the unit directly from them.

Cycloon have refused to supply me - no reason given however likely to be Rotax contractual agreement, as per other national dealerships, who have also refused to supply.

As for Romanian manufacturer - you could be correct however I am not about to risk, what is likely to be  approaching $1k AU, on getting possibly the right/wrong oil cooler.

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Informative 1

Skippy, there's a buying and forwarding service called Shippn, which operates in the Netherlands, as well as a host of other major countries. Shippn has a service called "buy for me", whereby they will purchase the item you desire using their Netherlands address, and then forward the item on to you. I have no idea what their charges are for the service, but if the options to acquire a Rotax extra large cooler are running out, then Shippn may be worth a try.

https://www.shippn.com/en/hello10?gclid=CjwKCAjwkLCkBhA9EiwAka9QRmTeEo-I7MkDxsP4Fk0GsK2hbvRTTgNE0p_c_SCwS4zTVe7KKmSgMBoCWPcQAvD_BwE

• Informative 1

10 hours ago, onetrack said:

Skippy, there's a buying and forwarding service called Shippn, which operates in the Netherlands, as well as a host of other major countries. Shippn has a service called "buy for me", whereby they will purchase the item you desire using their Netherlands address, and then forward the item on to you. I have no idea what their charges are for the service, but if the options to acquire a Rotax extra large cooler are running out, then Shippn may be worth a try.

https://www.shippn.com/en/hello10?gclid=CjwKCAjwkLCkBhA9EiwAka9QRmTeEo-I7MkDxsP4Fk0GsK2hbvRTTgNE0p_c_SCwS4zTVe7KKmSgMBoCWPcQAvD_BwE

Thanks Onetrack - will make contact & see where it leads me.

Just checked the service out - looks good - Thanks again.

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Like 1

An oil cooler is just a radiator heat exchanger. The number of rows, cooling fin size and design, materials used, quality of manufacture, flow rate and weight are all significant issues from an aviation perspective and of course physical dimensions for your build. I chose a 7 row Positech often used in RVs Lancairs etc. It is quite thick and is at the bottom of the firewall with its own NACA duct intake. Works great. Oil temp never gets over 90 deg C even on hot days. I can't remember the cost but it wasn't cheap.

• Informative 1

Try getting water hoses from Floods - been waiting 3 months for 5-yr replacement hoses, Floods say they have over 500M on order from Austria with no estimate of delivery timeframe!

• Informative 1

19 minutes ago, Philster2001 said:

Try getting water hoses from Floods - been waiting 3 months for 5-yr replacement hoses, Floods say they have over 500M on order from Austria with no estimate of delivery timeframe!

If permuted, go Gates hose from your local Repco 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Covid related delays are now unlikely.

Why do you think B Flood is having staffing issues??

Can you use a size from the ones that Atec or Bushcat use.  The brand they use seem to hold up in use.  Just buy the size you need.   We need in use R&D feedback from you and others.

On 16/06/2023 at 12:14 PM, old man emu said:

Agree wondered why cannot buy through his ATEC dealership connections.

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 1