Not birdstrike, horse strike!

I was at a Queensland dropzone years ago when the pilot put down, crawled around underneath for a bit, then called it for the day and flew away.
Can't remember for the life of me what the aircraft was...8 or 10 place, I think....but a load had gone down near an ag strip (round canopies,little drive, bad spot) so he set down there, they repacked, loaded up.

On takeoff he rotated over a sheep that nipped out from behind the fert bin, resulting in large woolly dents in the belly of the aircraft.........(

• Informative 1

I've heard of more than one kangaroo strike on remote airstrips, but a horse strike has to be one for the record books. Just kind of makes you wonder though, why you'd have a horse on the loose over an active airstrip?

Surely, one of the first things you'd do is make sure the horse is secure before attempting a takeoff? Horses can really move when they're spooked, and they run blindly, just like 'roos and sheep.

6 hours ago, IBob said:

Yes...but was it a Cessna???

No, the Journalist said it was a Jabiru just upside down (NZ position), AND they said it was a Recreational Aircraft, but a massive failure in not telling us the breed of horse or showing a photo of a horse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He looked ok being driven away in the horse float, even looked like he was smiling    Horse 1 - Jabiru 0

If he was in fact more injured, then thats a real shame, RIP Horse because now I feel bad for making fun of him and horsing around with some of my comments.

Edited by FlyBoy1960
  • Like 2

I suspect there will be more to this story,
and one very sheepish horse owner - who I imagine insurance agents are going to be going after

hard to imagine an owner taking off in the same paddock as livestock.
suspect its more likely a neighbor has decided the grass is greener there

I know that extended family's bush property was always having neighbor's running livestock on it.

Edited by spenaroo
  • Informative 1