Light plane crash south west of Sydney 24 Jan 2024.

Another light plane has crashed south west of Sydney. No further details to hand at this time, but it looks pretty serious. Photos from Channel 7 News chopper.

P1030366.thumb.JPG.eda3d346419e7d3c1eb2a48af34376e6.JPGP1030367.thumb.JPG.f20c4ec266033b40bb4d4411dc0aece7.JPG

Channel 7 saying one has died. 

7NEWS.COM.AU

Emergency services are responding.

Channel 9 says it is a Cessna from a local flying school.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/light-plane-crashes-south-west-of-sydney/ar-BB1hap1T

Mr FV is doubtful it is a Cessna and want to know what the crop is.  Seems strange that it ended up in such a mess in a clear paddock.?  All the wreckage together and a short straight scar on the land.  RIP

52 minutes ago, Roundsounds said:

Reported as a a first solo and a C172 that’s been at Camden from new. 

Saying 3 minutes into flight after taking off.

Terrible; condolences to all involved.

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Agree 1

what the hell. there is a new light plane crash on the news every week.  why are there so many accidents. 

i know i said this a while back but it just keeps happening.  this crash looks like it flew in fast.

2 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

what the hell. there is a new light plane crash on the news every week.  why are there so many accidents. 

i know i said this a while back but it just keeps happening.  this crash looks like it flew in fast.

Mainly because although this is an Australian Recreational Aviation site, people are reporting RA, GA, RPT and from all around the world.

6 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

Mainly because although this is an Australian Recreational Aviation site, people are reporting RA, GA, RPT and from all around the world.

i am only talking about australia. over the last 2 years, maybe i didn't take as much notice before.

2 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

i am only talking about australia. over the last 2 years, maybe i didn't take as much notice before.

RA has been roughly around 10 per year for a log time; dropped during COVID.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

Saying 3 minutes into flight after taking off.

Terrible; condolences to all involved.

Reported as a 16 yr old male on first solo . The crash occurred late downwind or turning final for R/W 06 at Camden . The pilot had received clearance to make a full stop landing on 06 . 

• Informative 3

I wonder where he did his RPC training?

As a convert from GA (mainly C172's) to RAA, I well remember the very diffrent performance characteristics of the two classes of aircraft - conversion not a straightforward as many might think.

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Isn't there a saying that in flying, you start with a bucket full of luck and an empty bucket of experience - and you hope the bucket of experience fills before the bucketof luck empties...

Sadly, one seems to have emptied before enough of the other filled.. A tragic loss.

In my early solo days, I recall looking outside and thinking.  "Jeez.. this 150s is slow today... Then I looked at the airspeed indicator. A little more time before comprehending the speed outside and I suspect I would not be here today.

RIP to the pilot, and condolences to the family and friends; and thoughts with the instructor...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Compared to the aircraft he had previously flown the C172 has very heavy controls but a bit lighter without the instructor. Maybe he was lulled into a false sense of security & it sounds like a classic stall turn on to base flying too slow.

Poor kid & such a waste. I can't imagine how his family feel at this time. Condolences to them & ftiends.

• Like 4

Something's not adding up for me... The reported wind at the time (1500L)was out of the northwest at 9G13, so almost direct crosswind for the runway (and downwind leg...) meaning GS is almost equal to KIAS. The last ADS-B return on the downwind had him doing 80Kts GS, before it increased to a reported 90 and beyond in a 3000FPM descent and entering a slight left turn.

80KIAS is way above the S&L stall speed of a light 172 - even cranking a load of bank you're going to need near 60* and about 2G to get close to stalling it at 80KIAS - and that kind of turn isn't reflective of the ADS-B track - especially when you compare that to the track of that Cirrus at Gundaroo you'll find they don't marry up insofar as a stall/spin accident. It looks more like that 172S prang out of Melbourne where the student lost the fight with the autopilot ALT HOLD mode - though why you'd be using the AP on a downwind leg on your first solo in a 172 I cannot fathom...

Edited by KRviator
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 3

You wouldn't intentionally be using AP & the student would not have even been shown how to activate it. He may have inadvertently activated it but that seems pretty unlikely, but then anything is possible.

• Like 2