Murwillumba aircraft missing.

All you sex crazed fella's who would like to die in bed doing the deed should think about the effect on the other person. Likely to affect them for the rest of their lives. I would think. Nev

I've been called a dead root before but I'm still here:roflmao:008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif008_roflmao.gif.1e95c9eb792c8fd2890ba5ff06d4e15c.gif

• Agree 1
  • Haha 4

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is another tragic loss of a very experienced pilot loosing his life in an ultralight WHY?Condolences to his family and friends and I hope we can get some answers.

R.I.P

Not exactly an ultralight ,just a very strong two seat aerobatic rated aircraft that is registered under RAA rules......not a TRUE ultralight, upsets me that people taint real ultralight statistics with the plastic and tin accident rate..grrrrrr...........Condolences to Ian,s family and ihope we hear what caused this "":ultralight"' accident............

• Agree 3

It's up to you if you want to miss the point of illegal flying; I wasn't discussing the cause.

No BUT you are inferring something along those lines ,

• Haha 1

I was wondering how long it would be before someone mentioned this.

Whilst I understand yr angst towards all light planes being labeled an ultralight most of the gen public whom represent have little to no knowledge of light planes 'group' them all into ultralights. It bothers me none cause in a way they all are if compared to what these gen public normally fly in. Us pilots know what's what, that's all that matters but sometimes the word ultralight kinda fits to highlight a situation.

I agree Capt ,But you would think someone who calls themselves "right rudder, would have a little bit more knowledge of aircraft designs than the average public

I agree Capt ,But you would think someone who calls themselves "right rudder, would have a little bit more knowledge of aircraft designs than the average public

I have no idea why someones Name/Handle on a forum should reflect their ability as a Rocket Scientist.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

No, I was referring to the attitudes expressed on this thread.

Can you be more specific? I don't recall anyone condoning illegal or dangerous behaviour, I could be wrong and I am am re reading from the beginning but it would save me time if you could illustrate the bad attitude that you are referring to.

Not exactly an ultralight ,just a very strong two seat aerobatic rated aircraft that is registered under RAA rules......not a TRUE ultralight, upsets me that people taint real ultralight statistics with the plastic and tin accident rate..grrrrrr...........Condolences to Ian,s family and ihope we hear what caused this "":ultralight"' accident............

Bull I am sorry if you were offended by my generalisation RAA reg aircraft as ultralights this was not my intention but simply to seek answers as to why these tragic events continue to happen with experienced pilots in what appears to be a perfectly airworthy aircraft

events continue to happen with experienced pilots in what appears to be a perfectly airworthy aircraft

Not really the case.

We do not know the pilots experience levels in any form of flying: other than he's reportedly been flying for several decades.

We also do not know the details of the aircrafts' airworthiness.

We also do not know what in-flight manoeuvring occurred prior to the accident.

Until ATSB piece it all together - it's just speculation and we shouldn't be in this space, given the fact it's a public forum and who knows whether what's written here might well end up being quoted elsewhere.

RIP and condolences to the pilots family and friends.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Correct me if i am wrong but if its RA rego, we will not see anyone from the ATSB

It's been reported that it is a Police investigation with RAAus assistance and a report to the Coroner.

Well say goodnight to ever hearing the details then.

Aside from an unknown structural issue, what do think might be learned from this event that isn't already common knowledge?

Aside from an unknown structural issue, what do think might be learned from this event that isn't already common knowledge?

All we really know is that he departed for a local solo flight.

Could be structural.

Could be Medical.

Could have be carrying out manouvres at less than a safe height.

It's now in the hands of the investigating team.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

All we really know is that he departed for a local solo flight.Could be structural.

Could be Medical.

Could have be carrying out manouvres at less than a safe height.

It's now in the hands of the investigating team.

The point was more in relation to the fact the pilots have found no new ways to die since the very early days of aviation, so unless there has been a structural issue that is unknown in Sonerais, what else could possibly be new in the human factors area?

• Agree 4

RIP m8 and blue skies forever

I have to say I'm surprised there has not been a single mention of ballistic parachutes (considering the suggestion of an in-flight structural failure)

BP

Probably no mention of BRS/ parachutes because we been through multiple duscussions before on other threads about pros and cons etc etc of them.

This instance - was an apparently single report of a witness stating they saw a wing fall off. No mention of anything since and given the wreckage has been found and that no one has mentioned anything about a wing missing, it makes me think it was not an accurate initial report.

• Agree 2

Probably no mention of BRS/ parachutes because we been through multiple duscussions before on other threads about pros and cons etc etc of them.This instance - was an apparently single report of a witness stating they saw a wing fall off. No mention of anything since and given the wreckage has been found and that no one has mentioned anything about a wing missing, it makes me think it was not an accurate initial report.

Looks like Icarus could probably clear it up with a short statement.

Looks like Icarus could probably clear it up with a short statement.

I was out at my mum s place today.

This is hearsay at best .

The witness who saw the plane go down looked up as he heard the engine cut. he watched the plane bank right travelling from the south .

it clipped the top of a tree then disappeared behind a hill. He saw exactly where it went down but the search was everywhere else!

Young bloke on a horse decided to look where the plane was seen to hit the tree top. Found it in a few hours.

I believe this witness is an aviator and aviation teacher.

No mention this time of broken wing

It may be possible the engine was cut on purpose in prepp for emergeny landing due to partial wing failure.[this is pure speculation on my part]

There is a recently cleared dirt road right under where the plane was seen to hit the tree top

Not many long flat paddocks in the area below

looks to me like he might have been trying for that road but was too high on final

Its on a very steep hill ,would be difficult to land on I think

There is a CTA step up where the bloke was flying. from 4500ft to 8500 ft from memory.

That's all I have heard. again second and third hand info.

• Informative 3

Gee that's amazing. the guy who new almost exactly where it went down also being an aviator didn't seem to get the message to the search people in a timely manor, something odd there! Hope they get to the bottom of this investigation soon, not knowing is worse than knowing:-(*

Sometimes people in authority think they know best . even when being pointed in the right direction by the know nothing public!

Also remember this is all second and third hand info .

no facts here , only relayed story.

Any part could be incorrect.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

yeah Wally I was thinking the same thing - gotta scratch ya head sometimes when this stuff happens

been telling my wife about this event from start to finish and all she can say is "it's not called tiger country for nothing, David"

I guess we'll find out about the 'where and why' eventually, bottom line is we've lost another very experienced pilot, and that's both sad and scary...