Light plane crash, Serpentine airfield, near Perth, WA.

Reported on ABC news here:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-28/light-aircraft-crashes-at-serpentine-airfield-near-perth/13018024

Mentions "burnt out remains". No word on condition of pilot or if there were other occupants. Hope everyone is OK.

Edited by cooperplace

53 minutes ago, cooperplace said:

Reported on ABC news here:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-28/light-aircraft-crashes-at-serpentine-airfield-near-perth/13018024

Mentions "burnt out remains". No word on condition of pilot or if there were other occupants. Hope everyone is OK.

Maybe the reporter should look at the pic, doesn’t appear burnt. I doubt that accident would have been survivable. 

He hit a fence, and to me it looks like he cartwheeled into it. The firefighters were called because it was reported there was a person trapped in the wreckage. The wreckage doesn't reflect well on the structural strength of the Dyn'Aero.

Not a lot more to report, as of this time (1945hrs WST).

https://www.perthnow.com.au/

To all concerned , this accident is very close to my situation at the moment ,,,,the pilot in question is the father of a friend of mine who has just came over to tassie to pick up the kitfox 1 i found for him and he was taking back to his father to get him to work on it .  I,m bloody shattered and this poor bloke is staying at my place tonight....what does one do or say in this situation????? From what i have been told the pilot died instantly as he had engine failure on takeoff and tried the impossible turn back and failed and spun in and evidently was a fully developed spin ,and just happened to land nose first on that fence.....fark i dont know what to do????

• Informative 1

4 minutes ago, Blueadventures said:

Terrible news Bull, provide support to him and always consider contacting the local police as they will know the best local contacts that can assist at these times to assist him and provide good advice, etc.

Thanks Mike,the phones are running hot still here and i,m at a loss what to say , i,m going to travel with him back to Devonport tomorrow so he can catch the ferry to Melbourne with kitfox in tow,i think that would be best to just keep on eye on him ,,,,,sounds like a very similar incident to Majors.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of the loss of a close piloting friend, Bull.

1. The pilot has been officially identified as Darren Brady. Experienced pilot and LAME. He's listed on LinkedIn.

2. The aircraft had been "undergoing maintenance", and was being taken up for a test flight.

3. Several witnesses saw the aircraft crash.

4. I think Bull has explained fairly succintly, the reason behind the crash.

Not much else to add at this point. My condolences to family and friends.

Bull, just keep a close eye on your mate, offer any support you might see is needed, there's not a lot else you can do at this point.

Sudden and unexpected death at an early age is overwhelming, just help your mate sort out his priorities, and keep him focused on the job at hand. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Hi Bull,

Really sorry  to hear of this. Sincere condolences to your mate, his family and friends (including yourself). Best you can do is offer him support and a shoulder to lean on. Also, let him know there are a bunch of stangers on here whose thoughts are with him and his family, as ours are with you, too.

Life sometimes just isn't fair.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thanks to all for the advice, you are totally right Jerry ! Life is so unfair at times ,i feel so devestated by this event, as he had just arrived down here to pick up his "first plane" to take home to rebuild with his dad,we where at the Kitfox talking about how much fun he was going to have with his dad and how stoked he was ,,and the phone rings and 10minutes later his life is shattered...This young bloke has broad shoulders and is handling this a lot better then me....................

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bull said:

To all concerned , this accident is very close to my situation at the moment ,,,,the pilot in question is the father of a friend of mine who has just came over to tassie to pick up the kitfox 1 i found for him and he was taking back to his father to get him to work on it .  I,m bloody shattered and this poor bloke is staying at my place tonight....what does one do or say in this situation????? From what i have been told the pilot died instantly as he had engine failure on takeoff and tried the impossible turn back and failed and spun in and evidently was a fully developed spin ,and just happened to land nose first on that fence.....fark i dont know what to do????

Tell him we're all with him bull; I read somewhere else he said it was his best and worst day.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

Tell him we're all with him bull; I read somewhere else he said it was his best and worst day.

Yes he posted in PLA very sad...............

11 minutes ago, old man emu said:

Now we have devastating proof in our own backyard of the danger of turning back. Is a controlled descent to the ground a better option than spinning in?

IT always was, and remains, the best option. You might roll your plane up into a ball, but you'll likely survive if you choose what you hit. Once you depart controlled flight, where and what you'll hit - and how hard you hit it - is anyone's guess.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, old man emu said:

Now we have devastating proof in our own backyard of the danger of turning back. Is a controlled descent to the ground a better option than spinning in?

PLA is Pilots Lounge Australia on Facebook.

There's definitely something amiss here. Obviously and experienced pilot operating from his home runway which has plenty of open space to put the plane down onto. Why would you try a turn back?

The only thing I can think of is that he was overtaken by the fear of damaging an aircraft that was in his care, so he wanted to get it back on the runway.  To my mind this was a Human Factors incident.

Retain control of the aeroplane at all costs. ALWAYS . Turn backs can be done sometimes  and are often demonstrated in unrealistic circumstances on line, but the cost of losing  control is severe.  IF you are IN TO wind and at close to minimum flying speed you don't have a lot of energy to get rid of when you cease flying in a 45 knot max  stall plane and any damage will be limited.  Nev.. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3