Pilot and passengers arrested, Coober Pedy

Just what we need, people seeing us as privileged a$#holes with transport that can cross borders when restricted
says a lot for the pilots regard for rules.

Hope the public don’t lump all of us in one basket.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

people seeing us as privileged a$#holes with transport "

You mean like the Rich Sydney boaty that took off to Queensland when Sydney was locked up.

No fine for them, I wonder why !.

spacesailor

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, spacesailor said:

people seeing us as privileged a$#holes with transport "

You mean like the Rich Sydney boaty that took off to Queensland when Sydney was locked up.

No fine for them, I wonder why !.

spacesailor

If I recall the reason is it was actually not a breach of the rules. It was a media beat up made worse if I recall because one of the party either had a low level ( false ) positive test result or a positive for past infection but not active or infectious positive test.  
If I recall they had actually entered into southern Queensland before the border closure and had spent time in southern Queensland before coming up here to Cairns. The media quite happily said nothing about that but made out they came directly to Cairns. The details only came out during the investigation but was  not announced in the media more than a cursory comment in the local newspaper. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

What I can't understand is why they are so bad at the quarantine stuff. In the olden days, they used islands...  today they fly people in from india and give them only 14 days in a cbd hotel!. No wonder we are getting new cases all the time, then they do ridiculous restrictions on people who have never even been near a covid case..

I bet if they used islands, or remote camps, and had an extra 2 weeks spent in quarantine without contact with new arrivals, we would be clear of the virus by now.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Winner 1

Whitsunday or Hamilton island will do me,

As a matter of fact Any North Queensland island will do nicely.

I have set foot on all the islands in the whitsund group, greedy me.

It was fantastic !.

Magnetic Island is Great too, and a marvelous coral reef experience in Townsville.

Making myself jealous.

spacesailor

1 hour ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

What I can't understand is why they are so bad at the quarantine stuff. In the olden days, they used islands...  today they fly people in from india and give them only 14 days in a cbd hotel!. No wonder we are getting new cases all the time, then they do ridiculous restrictions on people who have never even been near a covid case..

I bet if they used islands, or remote camps, and had an extra 2 weeks spent in quarantine without contact with new arrivals, we would be clear of the virus by now.

That’s what the medical community has been saying since the beginning. The political masters are the ones who have countered that advice with stuff like “there has to be an international airport nearby, there has to be a major hospital nearby, the hotels have to be near the final destination for the majority of travellers”.  All patently rubbish but good for votes and to placate the noisy masses. The idea of non-connected open air single donga style was floated and proved by the Darwin model yet pollies made endless concessions and pretences that the CBD system would work despite the obvious flaws. 

Edited by Jaba-who
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

We would indeed, but people want their freedom and don't care if the elderly die. 

I just happened to have pulled the figures, at 3:30 pm today from Johns Hopkins University Medical, for the death totals from 177 countries.

Australia has hit way above its weight, right down at position 102 with 910 deaths, NZ even better at position 155 with just 26.

The top 23 are shown here - just the total per country, not yet weighted. image.png.652e242223a1f80023c734a7afcb7e97.png

Death % not just actual number has more relevance, Some survivors are not in particularly good shape. There could also be some far reaching genetic modifications as well, there's a lot we don't yet know. Nev

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

23 minutes ago, red750 said:

You are probably more at risk from an allergy to eggs than to AZ.

Yep. I saw a list of “normal” life risks that are more than the risk of AZ related clot formation. Extensive list of things that no one takes a second thought at doing. 
Risk of clots is way greater if you are female and take the pill. 
Driving in city traffic was not far off it but no one worries about that. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

turboplanner.

Were is Sweden ? They went for ' Herd Immunity ', and is suffering the worst death rate of All country,s.

spacesailor

This is the problem with statistics. Sweden only had about 9000 deaths so in that list given above they were dropped right off the bottom somewhere. so the unknowing would look at it suggest the did well with the strategy. The truth is a bit different.
But Sweden only has a small population ( I forget what but about 10 million seems to stick in my mind) anyway the point being that the death rate in Sweden ended up being about 3 times that of the nearest Scandinavian/Northern European country. And not only that. They were one of the first European countries to run out of hospital & ICU  beds, ventilators and hospital staff. 

Australia has several empty mining towns with airport, lots of accommodation and facilities; easily turned into quarantine facilities. As well, we have similar facilities set up for refugees and illegals; why has our national government not made use of them?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Jaba-who said:

This is the problem with statistics. Sweden only had about 9000 deaths so in that list given above they were dropped right off the bottom somewhere. so the unknowing would look at it suggest the did well with the strategy. The truth is a bit different.
But Sweden only has a small population ( I forget what but about 10 million seems to stick in my mind) anyway the point being that the death rate in Sweden ended up being about 3 times that of the nearest Scandinavian/Northern European country. And not only that. They were one of the first European countries to run out of hospital & ICU  beds, ventilators and hospital staff. 

I’ve got the figures, haven’t had time yet to find the populations. You are right. Several countries have no deaths.

2 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

Australia has several empty mining towns with airport, lots of accommodation and facilities; easily turned into quarantine facilities. As well, we have similar facilities set up for refugees and illegals; why has our national government not made use of them?

Because the Federal Govt politicians set requirements for quarantine accommodation - such as "close to a major airport, "close to a major hospital", "close to major population centres", etc, etc.

None of these conditions are critical, it's typical pollies and public servants ideas that hold us back and which are out of line with any sensible persons thinking. In previous decades and centuries, quarantine areas were remote.

One thing's for sure - the city hotel quarantine accommodation has been a total disaster, every second case of COVID-19 was acquired whilst in quarantine.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

Or is it those new arrivals,!

They said on the news ' there were 3,000 a day In Melbourne airport,During the lockdown period. 

The number after lockdown was 33,000

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
  • Like 1

Doesn’t it make one wonder, how many of these new arrivals are questioned over how much tax they have paid in Australia since they were granted citizenship. I think most know the answer. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Shortly after arriving in Oz, I found myself out of a job and went through very tough times for a while.

With a young family, it was suggested that I seek a helping hand from welfare, but I couldn't bring myself to do it as I hadn't contributed. 

Tough times can be a great motivator if you pull your finger out, but not everyone thinks the same.

40 odd years later having built a successful small business, i'd do the same again if I had to.

Prior to coming here, we were subjected to very thorough medical check ups. Maybe the standards have slipped?

The general health of the nation we are coming from, should also be scrutinised closely.

• Like 3