US air show crash 13/11/2022

52 minutes ago, graham brown said:

The answer is in the reverse; it shows that our standard operating procedures are about right to minimise accidents.

For example our standardised circuits give us good line of sight in the straights and four turns when we re-orientate and can see those who either have or are about to re-orientate.

This accident shows that if you just peel off into a steep turn in a busy pattern, even a B17 can be blanked out underneath you.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

A huge proportion of aircrew deaths during WWII happened in training accidents. As Turbs said, it’s easy for even a big plane to be obscured under you during a turn. More than one Spitfire collided with allied aircraft they couldn’t see under their long, flat nose.

• Like 2

Very sad, the first thing you’re taught when learning to do a rejoin is you ALWAYS put the a/c you’re joining on above the horizon in case you misjudge the rejoin to avoid a collision. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 3

What a tragic and totally avoidable waste of lives and irreplaceable aircraft! At the rate the Americans destroy their warbirds, how long before none are left in flyable condition?

A sky chock-a-block full of people showing off at close quarters, and at constantly varying altitudes, what could possibly go wrong?

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

They would probably sell more tickets if that was the case.. There are plenty who go to see "crashes" at other events.. I've never been one of them.

A certain  lack of discipline is evident when these things happen. I've never been a believer in the "BIG SKY" theory especially when we navigate more precisely using GPS where people are more accurately ON TRACK... Nev

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Koreelah said:

I realise their airshows often include impressive pyrotecnics, but most of us still have some grip on What’s real and what isn’t.

I was disturbed to hear, after that horricic crash, a voice ask “was that supposed to happen?”

That sounded to me more like a shocked young kid looking for some reassurance that everything was OK.  There were probably enough adults momentarily asking themselves same thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

There's at least 10 questions got to be answered here, and the very first has to be - what happened re separation rules? Even if the King Cobra had had a near miss with the B-17, what about wake separation?

Seems to me like cowboys ruled here, and I'll wager the inquiry will find similar major safety shortcomings, as in the 2019 B-17 crash at Windsor Locks, Connecticut. 

The lawyers are going to have a field day again, and I wouldn't want to be one of the organisers or operators at this airshow. At the end of the day, I suppose all the blame will try to be placed on one dead rogue pilot.

https://www.journalinquirer.com/connecticut_and_region/new-lawsuit-filed-in-vintage-plane-crash-that-killed-7-at-bradley/article_97f17b40-d03e-11eb-9cd8-37cc9948d60b.html

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

Why the high circuit speed for the King cobra?  Nev

Sometimes there is a "battle" sequence.

Tyabb's Air Show usually has one as a main event with the Yak 9, several Mustangs, Kittyhawk, scale Mustang(s), having an all in dogfight and "attacking" ground targets with suitable bangs and flames.

The sky is fiilled with aircraft making repeated attacks from all directions.

I suspect the Tyabb show is fully choriographed and practiced before the event.

• Informative 1

I would not be blaming either pilot at this stage, we don't know what if any plan was in place for the fly by. There were at least three single engine aircraft in a loose trail formation in addition to the b17.

• Informative 1

What a lot of BS from the young bloke. If you fly a warplane with poor external visibility in a crowded air environment, the duty and responsibility is on the pilot of that aircraft to "keep a proper lookout".

That means ensuring you know what's in your blind spots, or approaching your blind spots. To say he was only concentrating on his flight leader to his left, is total dereliction of his duty to take into account other aircrafts positions.

He didn't own that portion of sky exclusively, and he wasn't up there alone, and he wasn't in a combat situation. He had a duty of care to ensure he didn't kill innocent parties, and he failed miserably on that angle.