Flying essentials.

As someone who's to start commencing flying training soon, I best want to prepare myself for the future. Just from me to you guys, what are some of those cockpit essentials that you just couldn't see yourself flying without? Pretty much anything that makes flying more convenient.

:plane:GPS or Ipad running a navigation app, to always know where you are.ANR headset is also nice to have...

Naughty, naughty. You should always be aware of where you are going by your maps. GPS or any other electronic equipment doesn't negate use of maps.

....an instructor? 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Sorry....just being facetious.....

In my case, being vertically challenged, a cushion and/or properly-adjusted seating position so you feel comfortable handling the controls at all times.

I would also add pre-flight preparation as being an essential cockpit tool. Read up on the theory of each aspect you are going to cover prior to each lesson.

Hope it all goes well - keep us informed of your progress!

Cheers,

Neil

There are some things the law says you need to carry, and your instructor will help you with exactly what. For example a chart (map), and an ERSA.

For yourself you will need to think about comfort and ease. So for comfort, make sure you have a cushion if it's needed. But mainly a bottle of water and tissues if you need them that are handy. And a cap. You can get your own headset if and when you are ready, but Nev is right a bad one can annoy but you will get used to it.

For ease of flying, I carried a notebook and pencil all the time. To take notes on procedures the instructor is telling you about, and to write down hours to put into my logbook.

When you do cross country there is more you will need but wait for that before you start spending.

One thing I was told to buy and have never used is a knee board. Gets in the way and is uncomfortable in our little planes.

Depending on the checklist in the plane, you might want to make your own one, that works for you while you are learning.

Good luck and enjoy!

Joking aside, I'd also suggest getting your own headset as others have said. Doesn't need to be an expensive one, but it's nice to have your own. Notebook and pencil as well, mainly for jotting down details during pre-flight and post-flight briefings with your instructor . You don't need much to get started. You will need some text books, which your instructor will advise you on but the Bob Tait's series are pretty popular. The BAK book covers all you will need to know for quite a while. http://www.bobtait.com.au/books

rgmwa

quote 1 "GPS or Ipad running a navigation app, to always know where you are.

ANR headset is also nice to have...

Quote 2 "Naughty, naughty. You should always be aware of where you are going by your maps. GPS or any other electronic equipment doesn't negate use of maps."

Well actually it does now! Oz runways or avplan on an ipad are now legal as primary navigation map. You have to have a backup which can be another device with the same programs running.

They are both infinitely more safe, user friendly and accurate than a paper map.

I must admit that I still have a paper map in case all of the 6 GPS i often fly with crashes but also admit that haven't used it for 'real' navigation for hundreds of hours.

Ipad and oz runways works very well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I think you should have your own headset. A bad fitting one will annoy you. Would your budget extend to a fire retardant flying suit? Nev

Fire-resistant clothing, like woollen jumper and socks. Helmet.

Don't like knee boards, even though CASA keeps giving them away free. Could hinder getting out of a wrecked cockpit.

...Oz runways or avplan on an ipad are now legal as primary navigation map.....They are both infinitely more safe, user friendly and accurate than a paper map.

Hmmm....never seen a paper map overheat and fail, or run out of power, or crash for no apparent reason......but having worked in IT for nearly 40 years I have seen ALL types of IT equipment fail......I was at a fly-in one time when a pilot told me about how his two identical, supposedly totally independent, glass panels failed at the same time. Perhaps due to the same, identical bug...

I would always have a map handy.

Cheers

Neil

• Agree 1

Hmmm....never seen a paper map overheat and fail, or run out of power, or crash for no apparent reason......but having worked in IT for nearly 40 years I have seen ALL types of IT equipment fail......I was at a fly-in one time when a pilot told me about how his two identical, supposedly totally independent, glass panels failed at the same time. Perhaps due to the same, identical bug...I would always have a map handy.

Cheers

Neil

I had a fella in an Sr22 Cirrus with full glass instruments have a main BUS (power system) fail that took out every instrument either totally or partially, no radio, no ASI no ALT, declared an emergency via his mobile phone, returned through Melbournes busy airspace to land at Essendon. He landed well above his usual landing speed as he had no idea how fast he was going. So it can and does happen, if you can manage without them good luck to you but I'll have a backup to my electronic stuff, in the Drifter maps don't last long but if I'm on a long NAV I'll have what I think I need to survive.

I had a fella in an Sr22 Cirrus with full glass instruments have a main BUS (power system) fail that took out every instrument either totally or partially, no radio, no ASI no ALT, declared an emergency via his mobile phone, returned through Melbournes busy airspace to land at Essendon. He landed well above his usual landing speed as he had no idea how fast he was going. So it can and does happen, if you can manage without them good luck to you but I'll have a backup to my electronic stuff, in the Drifter maps don't last long but if I'm on a long NAV I'll have what I think I need to survive.

What happened to his independent standby ASI and AH?

• Agree 1

Regular sessions, no extended gaps. And tell instructor how you feel exactly, about your learnings, maybe more time on some particular skill, so that YOU feel 100 percent on top of it.

If trainer says go solo, and you would like some more time, tell him so.

My personal guide to sending folks solo in MY machine, was when I was 100percent sure it would come back in one piece.......never failed me. Further more, I had a handheld radio, and we would talk, it was a good tool to just keep things RELAXED.

I have a memory like a sieve when it comes to remembering aircraft callsigns and intentions as they come in on the radio. So a knee board is standard equipment for me with a pencil tied to it. However, as others have said, the A5 size is a bit big in a small cockpit and with a joystick....sorry, control column between your legs. I bought a wooden clip board and cut it back to the width of the clip (about 10cm wide), then added a strap and velcro. Ends up about the width of a small notepad and doesn't get in the way.

• Like 1

The standby AH is powered from either the 28VDC Main Bus #2 or the Essential Bus, so he must have lost the battery too?. But the ASI is not a powered instrument, the only data it receives is Pitot and Static pressure.

I'm hoping to slot on next years GFPT/PPL course with the AAFC @ RAAF Amberley. They provide nomex flight suits for the duration of the course but I'll probably invest in my own for keeps. Beyond that, from what you guys have said is a decent headset (I'll probably skip an ANC one for now) and I'm throwing between a kneeboard setup or a 7" tablet. What is everyone's opinion on gloves?