Sport Pilot Magazine

ave8rr

If a magazine's sitting on a table you can pick it up and read or re read articles as you have your toast and a Cuppa. It's not like that with on line. (Or your keyboard is crummy). Nev

• Agree 4

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard
Bull, thing will be changing, give it 5 years and none of the board will have any 95.10 interest. I agree about the need for GPS training, paper maps are obsolete technology.

Wrong there FT once again.......I will never forget the fun of flying the old originals, and will always be supportive of them. Did you fly any by the way ?......

Guest Maj Millard
Was it that long ago? Well Ross time sure flies by while you aren't paying enough attention.

A shame you feel so alone, I agree with nearly everything you have said right down to the pleasure the lowly member like me used to get from my paper magazine, and what other value if any I glean from my membership. You just mis-cued when you targeted the current board members, they have done a fair job representing the majority of the members, just a great shame more of them don't use stone-age internet access.

Sorry may have been 2014......

Sorry may have been 2014......

He got in the May 2013 Sport Pilot for his trouble!

Which I could quickly check because I have the PAPER copies close at hand, took less than 1 minute!

• Like 2

Wrong there FT once again.......I will never forget the fun of flying the old originals, and will always be supportive of them. Did you fly any by the way ?......

my point was, will you be on the board in 5 years time? Eventually, the old timers are going to move on. No

• Helpful 1

Now you're taking a shot at both paper and electronic in the same post!Paper charts have been used in cockpits since the beginning of aviation. There are techniques you can use to handle them, which are usually taught during navigation training, starting with clear overlay which allows multiple routes to be marked in chinagraph, and stops most of the flapping........talk to an old hand.

I'm not sure what I need to take note of about gps/tablets, but here's a link to a fairly well specified GA aircraft which crashed due to gps error: https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/24535/AO200402797.pdf

Turbo if you had read my post correctly i was talking about the known accurracy and reliability of gps,,,Now a little history for you,,I have been and still am involved in the maritime industry fishing/trawling/tourist boats from 39ft long to 300 ft long in areas ranging from WA to NZ to PNG to Darwin and Timor ,,now i was one of the early skippers who had seen the first gps unit to come into the industry back in the 80,s now in all time since then i have enjoyed the reliability and accurracy of gps to navigate in all areas,{and yes there have been cases of accidents caused by gps ,but most of those were software problems in the early days ,my challenge to you is find me a vessel involved in any industry today that has a supply of the latest and greatest charts[paper versions] AND USES THEM to navigate now. Yes large ships still do because they have the staff available and have on board training programes,but the majority of small vessels ALWAYS USE GPS to navigate this I know as fact also the maritime REGULATORY body when they board your vessel for checks{RAMP CHECK OF THE SEA }NOT once have i had them check my charts or even ask for them because they use GPS themselves and this is over a career of 35 years so i have a bit of time in this subject and just a thought Turbo do you know what TVMDC means???

• Informative 1

Of course mate pass the buck ,but your comments are the ones i,m refering to ... CASA needs to pull their heads out of the sand and evaluate the amount of CFIT accidents and were they navigating with GPS or dead reckoning ,which as the words says RECKONING as in I reckon i,m gunna win lotto tommorrow but thats just a thought of mine with no real accuracy............................And cause you did not answer my question i,ll assume you dont know so here it is,,,,,,,T true course V variation M magnetic course D deviation C course to steer And they should also evaluate the amount of lost flyers and fuel related accidents and were they navigating with gps or dead reckoning as they will probably find a lot of these incidents could have been avoided by the use of gps

Guest Maj Millard
He's got a thing about "old " people Maj, But he hasn't answered your question. Nev

Thing is he, or I don't know if I'll still be a board member in five years. Some of the current board members ( Eugene Reid, Rod Birrell, Michael Apps, Ed Herring, Ed Smith) to name a few have all been board members well in excess of five years. And some for twice that time.

Thing is he, or I don't know if I'll still be a board member in five years. Some of the current board members ( Eugene Reid, Rod Birrell, Michael Apps, Ed Herring, Ed Smith) to name a few have all been board members well in excess of five years. And some for twice that time.

Dont worry about him Major ,i would not give him the time of day Maj bit of an idiot he is........

bull, I have made at least two attempts to get the rag and tube people to come together on this forum and discuss any issues which are holding back this section, because I don't believe the board or the association are putting impediments, or costs, in the way of affordable flying.On the two occasions where it looked like a conversation might get going, no one came up with any financial impediment to flying at all, no one came up with any evidence of where the pseudo GA aircraft and members were squeezing them out, and both threads petered out very quickly.

The truth is, you can still build your aircraft and you can still fly your aircraft.

As for the electronic magazine, I also operate a prepaid modem to get fast download speeds, and sometimes work right through the night with a continuous live download. For that I buy modem time from Telstra in $100.00 blocks and it costs me between $5.00 and $7.50 for the whole night.

In my local shipping centre there once was a large Newsagent, with three long aisles, six displays, around 20 metres long, with magazines from all round the world. It has disappeared and today there is a short line of daily newspapers in the Supermarket tobacco section.

Time to move into the 21st Century.

Some of us the have to live on a tight budget mate ,after rent /food etc there is not much left so credit can only be brought in small amounts ie;20/30 that does,nt give you much download data at all ,and i downloaded the magazine once and it has cost me $21.30 to do the whole thing . So i wont be reading it again as it is out of reach for most people on a tight budget now.............

• Informative 1
  • Winner 1

You need to try your theories out on CASA; they'll be the ones ramp checking you and asking the questions if there's an incident.

Not a theory mate ,all i,ve said is fact and occurs all over the world every day .Do you go to tassie on the ferrys,do you go on cruise ships/ do you go to strady island or the whitsundays on charter boats mate because if you do you are trusting your life to GPS AND THAT IS FACT.......

probably need to look at introducing term limits, I don't think the RAA could handle another 2 years with Eugene as treasurer.

True variation magnetic deviation compass. Nev

Correct mate but compass should have ,,compass course to steer cheers well done

Guest Maj Millard
probably need to look at introducing term limits, I don't think the RAA could handle another 2 years with Eugene as treasurer.

Shows just how up to date and informed you are !..........Jim Tatlock is the current treasurer and has been for a couple of years...Eugene is only a board member ATM.

Eugene is only a board member ATM.

ATM? Is that a threat? Jim is a keeper, the only one after Runciman and Ramsay who knew how to read books and present information.

Guest Maj Millard
ATM? Is that a threat? Jim is a keeper, the only one after Runciman and Ramsay who knew how to read books and present information.

Steve may have known how to read books but he certainly didn't know how to run a good board !.......

Guest Maj Millard
Hope Jim intends to continue.

Jim is up for election soon .....I 'm sure he'll happily continue if you guys in Vic are smart enough to re-elect him........

Steve may have known how to read books but he certainly didn't know how to run a good board !.......

I think Steve was encumbered with a disfunctional board. His reaction was probably a military one which he was unable to implement due to our laws.

My reaction to the board at the EGM was one of disbelief that this mob had control of OUR Association.

Jim Tatlock was, however, a standout and presented to me as a person of intelligence and integrity and not prepared to be bullied by the others. Everyone should support Jim. Perhaps we should all wear campaign badges for Jim

• Agree 2

Guest Maj Millard
I think Steve was encumbered with a disfunctional board. His reaction was probably a military one which he was unable to implement due to our laws. My reaction to the board at the EGM was one of disbelief that this mob had control of OUR Association.

Jim Tatlock was, however, a standout and presented to me as a person of intelligence and integrity and not prepared to be bullied by the others. Everyone should support Jim. Perhaps we should all wear campaign badges for Jim

We do need to reelect the whole excutive this time around, Jim Tatlock, Michael Monck, and Tony King have, and are doing a very sound job as part of a very cohesive, productive and foward looking board. It has been my pleasure to be part of it. Michael Monck in particular as board president has gone way beyond what is required. This is the level of skill we need to be leading our organization and standing up for us against CASA and others.