Sport Pilot Magazine

ave8rr

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What in the *&xx##@$$## is any of this got to do with sport pilot magazine

AS I look at the Sport Magazine --- looks like it is heading to a mini de facto GA.

What I think "bull" is not spelling out loud enough, there is no information on the rag and tube RAAus aircraft.

The types I think he has in mind are Drifters, Thrusters, Lightwings, just to mention a few.

You know the tubes welded together and fabric glued and stitched to that frame, all of those ones and normally with a 582 Rotax for power.

Regards,

KP.

• Agree 3

Have too agree the mag has lost it way your lucky too find any ultralight craft information, some one looking for information on these types of craft are lost which is where the AUF started .

So I will not be renewing my superscription nor will i be downloading the web link ..

Doug

question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gifyuck.gif.4c85ff36d4d9a0bd466be4926a1ba11e.gif

• Agree 2

"Administration of the structure of the organisation":- The organisation needs funds for all of this and insurance for the aircraft where as GA is tax payer funded.Road vehicles have a yearly rego to pay and a number of roads a goat would break a leg on plus you have all these freeways, tunnels they have tolls and foreign organisation make a profit out of them.

Imagine the squawking if GA went to a user pay system.

Regards

KP.

And this shows that we do not have a level playing field. Simple solution would be for CASA to issue ultralight pilot certificates.

• Agree 1

The magazine relies on writers pitching ideas to the editor. So what information about the thruster or drifter or another "rag and tube" plane would you want to contribute to the magazine? Because the magazine relies on people pitching story ideas.

If you don't pitch ideas, someone else does.

• Agree 4

BS, BS and more BS.

Magazine Editors are not Sherlock Holmes and do not have the time to travel the country looking for a story.

You have to promote your section (without the whining) to get stories in, or the Distributors need to get off their bums and provide editorial about the product. Virtually none have been showing up at Natfly. Go and have a good cry and then come back and do the same as the hard working people who established your sport in the first place.

Should RAA employ some journos to drum up articles which please you Bull?

CASA WANT to get small aircraft off their register and onto RAAO because they dont have pay for it or look after it. No way they will sign up for another 3000 aircraft to administer

CASA is government funded RAA is not. I believe they havent even paid the $50 K or so they promised to RAA to operate

THAT is a true cause for moaning.

Effectively through taxes and Avgas levy, we in RAA are subsidising both ends of GA, the expensive rewrite of aviation regulations........... as well as our yearly fees.

BUT be careful as every taxpayer is shouldering that admin bill and we dont want them to pull funding or it will be transferred to us too.

Guarantee the absurd waste of money within CASA wont stop.

Plenty of small Cessna owners would like to, raise MTOW to where CASA wanted it and you'd see plenty including variety of RV and similar currently under VH experimental

The biggest differentiator is the 2 Pax max limit. with the ONE passenger knowing what he/she is getting into. And no commercial operations, excepting training. That should never go as it gives you the biggest argument for a freed up recreational scene. A distinctly different scenario to the rest of GA. Nev

• Agree 1

BS, BS and more BS.Magazine Editors are not Sherlock Holmes and do not have the time to travel the country looking for a story.

You have to promote your section (without the whining) to get stories in, or the Distributors need to get off their bums and provide editorial about the product. Virtually none have been showing up at Natfly. Go and have a good cry and then come back and do the same as the hard working people who established your sport in the first place.

Who have conveniently been HIJACKED by GA ah TURBO.........

So I will not be renewing my superscription nor will i be downloading the web link ..Doug question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gifyuck.gif.4c85ff36d4d9a0bd466be4926a1ba11e.gif

Doug, The way I understand it, it doesn`t matter whether you renew your subscription or not, the cost of the mag won`t be taken out of your RA-Aus membership fee, so, in fact you are paying for it, regardless...If, on the other hand, you do want a paper edition, you will have to pay for it, on top of your membership fee.

Frank,

Ps, Someone please correct me if I`ve got it wrong.

Doug, The way I understand it, it doesn`t matter whether you renew your subscription or not, the cost of the mag won`t be taken out of your RA-Aus membership fee, so, in fact you are paying for it, regardless...If, on the other hand, you do want a paper edition, you will have to pay for it, on top of your membership fee.Frank,

Ps, Someone please correct me if I`ve got it wrong.

Yes I be leave that's the way it is Frank , just I don't think it's worth me worrying too much about it as the reading stuff not of any interest to my type of flying anymore !

Gotta have the articles before you can use them. Everyone wants it be there but not contribute anything. That doesn't work. Nev

I was informed that they had 10 years of articles backlogged, I contributed and nada. Just saying...

• Like 1

In the latest magazine, a gent wrote in asking how are the RAA is going to notify pilots about safety issues ect as the magazine was going online. ( I think he doesn't have massive download avaliable) He was basically told to either read the magazine online or pay the extra money to have the paper version delivered.

That to me seems like a cop out.

• Agree 2

I'm sure he safely checks NOTAMS and Weather before each flight too.

Any "safety issue" should be addressed on the RA-AUS website or by direct email to members, not wait 6 weeks for the next version of the magazine (paper or electronic).

In the latest magazine, a gent wrote in asking how are the RAA is going to notify pilots about safety issues ect as the magazine was going online. ( I think he doesn't have massive download avaliable) He was basically told to either read the magazine online or pay the extra money to have the paper version delivered.That to me seems like a cop out.

Yes a cop out and an increase of something like 40% in membership fees.

I have not seen anywhere yes nowhere that an alternative cheaper magazine was investigated.

I think it is a case of the board/office telling the members what they are getting, RAAus is a membership based organisation.

Regards

KP.

• Agree 3

I was informed that they had 10 years of articles backlogged, I contributed and nada. Just saying...

The other point when the letters are published they are doctored to the hilt and the concept is changed.

Regards,

KP.

Yes I be leave that's the way it is Frank , just I don't think it's worth me worrying too much about it as the reading stuff not of any interest to my type of flying anymore !

Doug, I certainly understand why you feel that way...020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

Cheers,

Frank.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Guest Andys@coffs
The other point when the letters are published they are doctored to the hilt and the concept is changed.Regards,

KP.

The magazine is completely outsourced to Brian Bigg and has been for a long time. Editorial content is entirely his remit except for the mandated RAAus content such as Presidents report, ops and tech reports and the members market. If your letters to the editor are changed then it's probably because your letter writing skills aren't up to the necessary skill level.

The board has an ability to ask that a response to a letter is included, as previous boards used to regularly do, but not direct a change to content of a letter to the editor.

If you believe that you wrote "A" and that was edited to mean "B" then take it up with Brian!

Andy

Guest Maj Millard

Doug, I have just perused the July magazine draft in respect to your comment and would have to disagree.

In the magazine there are articles featuring , and with photos of the following types. Lightwing, Xair, Thruster, Trikes, powered parachutes, Gazelle, Kitfox, and last but not least a very nice 10 rego Corella. Overall the aircraft represented are a good example of what the mebership is operating in 2015, and the articles generally representative of the type of flying the majority of the membership does today..IE: attending fly-ins such as Old Station and others. There is a nice article on Comminya in the SE where two Lightwings are used as primary trainers as they have been used in our sport since day one.

The magazine has to serve and appeal to the majority of the membership not only to a small percentage of the membership which the 95:10 category alone represents, with rag and tube types representing a more sizeable percentage with some newer types such as the Ninja and Savage Cubs certainly well represented in the overall numbers.

The RAAus has gone out of its way over the years to ensure the continuing freedoms and support to the 95:10 categories and other pioneer aircraft types such as the Thruster, Drifter and Lightwing and continues to be committed to their survival as our founding types. A recent Natfly which highlighted the 95.10 aircraft saw about two of the catogoy attend, and generally they were poorly represented overall.

We have as a sport continued to grow and developed in 30 years and the more modern types available today have to also be represented in the magazine as could be expected.

It is your magazine after all, and if you wish to see more content to your liking, then you are as free to contribute as any other member.

The magazine is completely outsourced to Brian Bigg and has been for a long time. Editorial content is entirely his remit except for the mandated RAAus content such as Presidents report, ops and tech reports and the members market. If your letters to the editor are changed then it's probably because your letter writing skills aren't up to the necessary skill level.The board has an ability to ask that a response to a letter is included, as previous boards used to regularly do, but not direct a change to content of a letter to the editor.

If you believe that you wrote "A" and that was edited to mean "B" then take it up with Brian!

Andy

Andy,

Whilst I agree that factually you need to take up the issue with the editor my issue is that this is the official magazine and voice of the RAA and IMO it is not appropriate for the Board to abrogate ownership of the issue to an external non-board/RAA employee.

Personally the edit that was done to my letter was far less offensive than the off handed reply from the Tech Manager which effectively said oh yeah, the rules changes 4 years ago, 2 year before I took up the job and I still didn't know the rules but Hey, its good to see people interested in this area.

• Informative 1

Good Morning Andy,

The big question, Why is the magazine completely outsourced?

There is the humungous cost, because the publisher has upsold the whole magazine deal, glossy paper all the way through the magazine.

As I believe it -- there was only the cover to have the upgraded glossy heavy paper and rest of the magazine the less expensive printing and paper.

Still does not get away from the fact that there was not a far less expensive option investigated and that is not digital.

Regarding the change of letters the editor is still getting back to me that is over two years ago. I did call the office and the usual thing who ever you want to speak to is out or busy, "As soon as they get back to office I will get them to call you." These day I hardly leave a message but keep trying till I get the person I wish to speak to.

Maj ----- You picked on one magazine to demonstrate your point -- now to average the articles go back through a additions of the mag and see what you get.

What I see a lot of is "drum beating"..

Regards

KP.