Ultralight plane crash Hunter Valley

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clearly, we will have to wait for the facts. If you expect to find them here then you are bound to be disappointed because as far as I know nobody here was or has spoken to an eyewitness, seen the wreck or spoken with people who talked with the pilot just before he ventured onto Runway 17.

Still, on the basis of discussions I've had and pictures I've seen and familiarity with the area, it seems likely that the pilot was flying a light aircraft of his own design and build, not terribly dissimilar to a Morgan, was powered by a UL Power engine, had an IVP prop, a ballistic parachute and elaborate "glass" instrumentation. It had RAAus 19 registration numbers painted on it but may or may not have been registered.

There is no way anyone can know now what caused the aircraft to not complete the circuit it appeared to be engaged in, lose altitude and hit the ground where it did. Investigations by the Police, with assistance from RAAus and possibly the ATSB may in time reveal the immediate cause of this flight into terrain or this may forever remain a mystery.

• Agree 2

or this may forever remain a mystery.

There is someone on another thread who reckons the cause of accidents is obvious and there is no need to investigate them, maybe we could ask him?

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

Guest Maj Millard
Was this the first flight. ??

My condolences, to family and friends

Mike

Believed to be Avocet.........our Ops manager is / was on scene.

Believed to be Avocet.........our Ops manager is / was on scene.

The missing comma is vital Maj! Believed to be, Avocet. Not believed to be Avocet. He is still posting, praise be to Zeus.

• Haha 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Winner 1

I have a lot of sympathy for anyone around such an event, or attending Coronial inquests or friends and associates of those involved. . We all know we may not finish the day well, if our luck runs out, but it's always gut wrenching stuff.. I know Lee Ungermann attended many Inquests and I know it took a lot out of him.. I think we should bear in mind what some of our reps and staff do things that we don't always know of, and appreciate it. I will take this opportunity (if I may) and express my gratitude for their services.Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 18

Guest Maj Millard
The missing comma is vital Maj! Believed to be, Avocet. Not believed to be Avocet. He is still posting, praise be to Zeus.

Sorry, .....believed to be ...avocet

I have a lot of sympathy for anyone around such an event, or attending Coronial inquests or friends and associates of those involved. . We all know we may not finish the day well, if our luck runs out, but it's always gut wrenching stuff.. I know Lee Ungermann attended many Inquests and I know it took a lot out of him.. I think we should bear in mind what some of our reps and staff do things that we don't always know of, and appreciate it. I will take this opportunity (if I may) and express my gratitude for their services.Nev

I agree, I'm not wishing to elevate my own experience, but I remember one night at a race meeting with our Federal Administrator. We didn't have any official roles on the night and were just relaxing, watching everyone enjoying themselves and the meeting going like clockwork.

He turned to me, and his face turned sad, and he said "They just don't see what we see, do they"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

"Falling out of the sky" is a bit of an extreme statement for people who should know better. It might be appropriate for a structural failure but how often does that happen? When the donk stops you glide, usually with a sink rate of about 600 fpm. Hardly falling out of the sky. It's about 10 Miles per hour . descent. Nev.

I was paraphrasing how the media and the general public see it, Nev. And that was also pretty much the literal wording of someone I spoke to who was at Cessnock airport at the time of the accident and saw it take off minutes before it crashed. He had more to say but I'm not going to repeat it here.

I've consistently made the point on this thread that "we" or "you" don't see things the same way "they" do when it comes to aviation accidents. This is a point which is seemingly very difficult for many in the aviation community to accept, and is the cause of a lot of angst when the public/media get upset enough to cause regulators to act.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Guys - completely inappropriate to be discussing this in an online forum that's open to anyone. I am a family member and it was extremely easy to sign up and get access to these posts after hearing through friends what was being said.

Let's get the facts straight though - the pilot was experienced and the aircraft was registered. The family will be pursuing actions against those who have posted otherwise.

Please cease posting these insensitive comments. Have some respect for those directly involved. Those not directly involved should keep their opinions to themselves.

• Agree 8

There is someone on another thread who reckons the cause of accidents is obvious and there is no need to investigate them, maybe we could ask him?

Where is that and who was it

When you design, build and fly an aircraft you become a aeronautical designer, engineer, lame/L2 and test pilot all rolled into one. If you do it illegally and it is not registered you have committed a crime and if the only people that knew about it were the people associated with the airfield/club then they were the only people who could have done anything to prevent this accident. This accident should not reflect badly on RAAus or it's members who do the right thing but unfortunately it probably will.

he was registered !!!!!!!!

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Where is that and who was it.he was registered !!!!!!!!

Hi Charmaine, I would guess that Tecky was talking about me. My post was not specifically in relation to this incident, but in response to those who want the ATSB to investigate every fatality.

Charmaine

Let me pass on my condolences, I have been in the same position as you are now and understand the emotional roller coaster ride that you will be on.

The aviation community is quite small as I'm sure you would be aware and that community learns by discussion especially when something happens to one of them and hopefully that discussion is as factual as possible and the lessons learned can be passed on, so that it may prevent it happening again.

Let's get the facts straight though - the pilot was experienced and the aircraft was registered. The family will be pursuing actions against those who have posted otherwise.

As far as the question about registration goes you may want to take that up with the Daily Telegraph as it was reported by them (I have attached the link), obviously once that was made public by the media there will be discussion around that issue as if that were the case it would bring our sport into disrepute.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...in-hunter-valley/story-fni0cx12-1227366388263

Regards

Allan

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

Sorry Charmaine, most people are horrified by these accidents and do feel for the family and friends and then try to work out what has gone wrong, as the results of investigations usually are not made known to us.

Richard.

Guys - completely inappropriate to be discussing this in an online forum that's open to anyone.

Why? And it is not "open to anyone". The forum owner can permit or deny anyone he so chooses. The same as any internet forum. IF only one person modifies their behaviour or double-checks something and finds an error or omission, then these discussions have served a purpose. And, from personal experience in another industry, they do achieve that.

I am a family member and it was extremely easy to sign up and get access to these posts after hearing through friends what was being said.

And if you hadn't, you wouldn't be any the wiser....Yet here you are, based on what you had "heard".

Let's get the facts straight though - the pilot was experienced and the aircraft was registered.

That has yet to be determined and disclosed officially. You're more than welcome to rebut any claims the media make - in the media. Would you like their details?

The plane was privately owned and was not registered' date=' with Mr Brown the sole occupant, [b']police said[/b].Source

The family will be pursuing actions against those who have posted otherwise.

Good luck with that.

Please cease posting these insensitive comments. Have some respect for those directly involved. Those not directly involved should keep their opinions to themselves.

So, besides being a family member, what is your direct involvement in this accident?Harsh comments? Perhaps, but as a mod on another forum, I am personally sick to death of family and friends signing up to forums and newsgroups following an accident, then attacking or threatening those who are trying to discuss things.

• Like 1
  • Agree 17

Guest Maj Millard

Charmaine, Our full condolences to you and your family at this tragic time, and apologies if we may have acted inappropriately .

I'm sure no one on this forum would intentionally post anything intended to be directed to you or your family in anyway, at this sad time.

Many of us here have lost pilot friends. I have lost over five. We are mostly pilots so we share the skies together. There have been plenty of expressions of condolence, Charmaine. and they are genuine. No doubt you are very upset, as all are in your situation. Don't make a premature judgement of the forum here. It's actually a very concerned and caring one. Don't cause yourself avoidable angst by letting anything here upset you . It would not be intended. No One who would be allowed here would wish to cause anyone in your position, hurt. We have difficulty always getting information which hopefully helps prevent repetition of disasters like this and others. We would aid you in any way we could, I'm sure. . It's been done before. We would have people not far from you. Sincere regards Nev

• Like 5
  • Agree 10