So what's the big announcement on Friday

GAFA

Guest Andys@coffs

You folks need to sometimes look at the bigger picture.....I note in the photo above that the DAS Mark Skidmore is in the same photo as the RAAus staff and some of the board including the President........

Never underestimate the benefits that can be achieved when 1 on 1 time can be scheduled and had......... For those that were wanting >MTOW or CTA or........the reality is that progress towards those things might well have been greater today than any other time..........Showing CASA that we have safety as a serious and considered concern is unlikely to harm us in any way........CASA sole purpose is safety.....

I cant easily recall the last photo of the RAAus team and the previous DAS in the same photo...... (unless there was a photo when the Jabiru restrictions were imposed on his way out....EDIT wasn't previous DAS but 2IC who was acting DAS TF)

Im sure we will be told in due course why this was important.....in advance of that explanation declaring it to be merely a gathering of fools imho may lead to embarrassment...

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canberra seems to have the ability to remove people from reality and place them in a mindset that has them seeing the rest of us mere mortals as incompetent, illiterate dopes.

Had the misfortune to live there for 10 years. If they wanted to give the world an enema, that's where they'd stick the tube.

That said, the two most rewarding jobs I ever had were there, neither of them in the PS.

• Haha 1

Andy , I really hope you are right, I usually respect a lot of what you say (other than political preferences )..In this case I'm inclined to heavily disagree..this is utter BS in my opinion and I'm really pissed at the hype and BS surrounding it.. If this is how CASA think we are serious about safety than the situation is far more DIRE than I could ever have imagined...

• Agree 2

I agree with DRZoos here - this seems to be a 'FaceBook' / Reality TV type WOW, look at us type news.

Perhaps they are just trying to make more 'friends' and then they can wow us with 10,000 + , then 11,000+ to show how big we are becoming?? Seems as if we are just in the FaceBook age now and all the hype that comes with it, nothing more than that.

tongue in cheek ...RAA must have been too busy with other 'announcements' to query the compliance of your regn numbering to their own requirements for a solid font ... 065_evil_grin.gif.2006e9f40863555e5894f7036698fb5d.gif

Not funny! it is a serious problem with that font. That number could be anything.

I agree with DRZoos here - this seems to be a 'FaceBook' / Reality TV type WOW, look at us type news.Perhaps they are just trying to make more 'friends' and then they can wow us with 10,000 + , then 11,000+ to show how big we are becoming?? Seems as if we are just in the FaceBook age now and all the hype that comes with it, nothing more than that.

It is the ATO/RSPCA way!

It is what we do when we are spending someone elses money.

• Agree 1

This looks like it could easily be from an episode of Utopia (a satire series on ABC iView if you haven't followed it). I've never been a fan of this sort of PR flummery. What next... a ribbon cutting... gold shovel sod turning??

What we need are tangible outcomes (eg. CTA & MTOW) - something that is really worthy of an "announcement". I'm a big fan of Matt Hall, and I appreciate that some VIP feather preening is hard to avoid (i.e. Skidmore), but I wouldn't expect the membership to swallow this ceremony as especially noteworthy.

• Agree 3

What a waste of friggen money.

I have to agree Dazza. UNLESS CASA was footing the bill for it (seeing as it is a safety initiative!) which would change my opinion of it. Well actually i would probably still consider it a waste but the percentage of it being funded by me would be less so a little less concerning:whistling:.

RAA can't win with you lot, everyone complains when RAA don't include you and then everyone complains when the announcement isn't what each of you individually want the announcement to be.

Any time that the regulators and particularly the senior person from that regulatory body can find the time to spend with you is worth every cent.

My opinion is that RAA (RPC) will never get CTA approval as there are already two ways to gain that privilege now, if you want to fly CTA (transit or real) get a class 2 medical and do RPL or PPL.

An increase in MTOW is a more likely proposition and if this is achieved to include aircraft like the Tomahawk and C152 (which could be registered under either VH or RAA) then RAA may well get the privilege to be able to train to RPL and as such be able to advertise that this is the most economical way to a flying career. Once RAA can train to RPL they may then be given the privilege to issue CTA to those at RPL level.

Just my opinion

Aldo

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

In my earlier posts on other threads, I've openly acknowledged the need for all recreational aviation bodies to lobby the federal minister (Truss or perhaps now his successor) to lean on CASA to enforce the Forsythe recommendations.

Sadly, lobbying is what it takes to influence change in modern democracies. That said, I still consider PR- VIP feather preening as a "hold your nose, this smells" sort of exercise. Not something for wider membership interest or consumption as it only impresses the ego-centric politicians that participate, IMO.

If you ask me there is a greater risk of injury by wearing safety vests as they can catch on parts of the aircraft whilst dong the pre-flight.

And I agree, the way they announced this was more 'Facebook' rather than a professional organisation representing it's members.

• Agree 1

I'm trying to be constructive in my criticism, and I agree that members have wanted more communication, but I would prefer substance instead of "spin" communication, like this "announcement", which only annoys members.

Better to have kept this event "in-house" as a team-building exercise, perhaps.

RAA can't win with you lot, everyone complains when RAAAldo

Aldo to my knowledge I have never publicly or privately bagged RAA ever till this...

If this is their idea of improving safety or a big announcement, then we may as well all climb to 10000ft tomorrow and point it at the ground......

This is typical Canberra BS at its WORST! To improve safety you dont need the entire staff dressed in orange vests for a photo shoot. You need onë or two policy changes that actually really do improve safety for everyone... And we as members should not tolerate being taken for fools or having our safety played for fools like this... If these people want to get paid to represent us this is absolutely intolerable .... in fact if I was on the board I would call an emergency meeting and tell all that if i ever see this charade of doing something "heads will roll"

Whats just as concerning is that our paid staff, not one of them thought to think how this would be perceived by members

We have had a paid safety officer for 6 months plus, has anyone actually been asked once what safety issues they see as a problem

• Agree 5

So first we have a survey that obviously cost money and appears to have bugger all benefit that could not have been done in a cheaper and far better way.

Now we have orange vests and PR spin.

Now just wait for the photo ops of orange hard hats.

If they were serious about the safety stuff, they would have spent the bucks and effort directly on safety not PR spin.

Would anyone like to volunteer a truck, 5 tons of manure and deliver it to HQ......please

• Agree 1

Aldo to my knowledge

Doc

I don't necessarily disagree with you but business is 80% relationships (and in our case that should include members) and 20% covers everything else, the better the relationship the greater the chance of success.

Aldo

• Agree 1

Had the misfortune to live there for 10 years. If they wanted to give the world an enema, that's where they'd stick the tube.That said, the two most rewarding jobs I ever had were there, neither of them in the PS.

Well that's disturbing, I thought the only professions available in Canberra were politics, public service and prostitution! If it's not the public service.... 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

But all that aside congratulations - it's a beautiful looking plane!

• Haha 1
  • Winner 1

The biggest safety influence on me has been the "club" environment.

Talking with my peers, professional aviators, instructors and that general mix of aviators and ex-aviators that a club attracts.

Supporting clubs , which in my opinion are struggling, would be money well spent.

What about sponsoring a "Safety Night" with instructors discussing flight into IMC and other hazards?

Can the RAA really not talk to Skidmore without putting on a publicity stunt like this?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2