Raaus sport pilot magazine

Ayecapt

its been a few months now since sport pilot went on line only or by paid subscription .

I notice from a recent email that they are relying on articles in sports pilot to get the message out about flying safely. All well and good ..... But i have found that since my printed copy has stopped arriving in the post i no longer read it!

Therefor if sport pilot is being used to comunicate safety information to RAAUS members how can they be sure the message is getting through. Of course no one can be sure that the printed version was read by members in any case. BUT CHANCES ARE IT WAS BEING READ. Removal of the free printed mag was a finnancial decision Maybe its time to see if the electronic version of the mag is being read. and therefor are safety messages getting through.

I dont know if our admin can set up a poll to see if the electronic version of sport pilot is being accessed by non subscribers or not?

I know i always read the paper mag because it kicked about in the living room but even though i am computer savvy i just dont think to checkout sport pilot on line ......am i alone or not?

• Agree 12

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the same Ayecapt, not so much because I don't want to pay the extra but just because I am too lazy to go through the steps to subscribe and also to lazy to find the links to get the online version. Maybe I will subscribe next time I renew my membership.

I wonder if it could be an option when we renew our certificates? (Maybe it already is but I haven't renewed for a while.)

• Agree 2

Most serious information is being emailed, got a safety update today

I agree reading online magazine is more easily forgotten, also seem to scrool through faster for some reason

• Agree 2

I'm no longer a member...but even so I used to regularly buy the magazine when I could find it in newsagents. Since it has gone online I have not taken much interest in it...and it's free now. I think it's a shame myself...it should have been supported to stay in print IMO.

• Agree 4

I didn't renew my membership last year in protest, my print magazine was the reason I kept up my membership since I wasn't in a position to use my flying privileges, and I was feeling that the new direction was starting to look like the old directions all over again.

In just a year of not reading my magazine cover to cover it is shocking how out of touch I feel I have become. I now have to decide wether to step back into the fold, or mount my plane on a pole in the garden.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I don't read it any more as well, simply because I read too much electronically now and there are many other electronic things to read about flying from all over the world that are better. I really miss sitting down with a coffee and reading the hard copy, it's a kind of escape but I will not pay the high price for that luxury.

• Agree 6

its been a few months now since sport pilot went on line only or by paid subscription .I notice from a recent email that they are relying on articles in sports pilot to get the message out about flying safely. All well and good ..... But i have found that since my printed copy has stopped arriving in the post i no longer read it!

Therefor if sport pilot is being used to comunicate safety information to RAAUS members how can they be sure the message is getting through. Of course no one can be sure that the printed version was read by members in any case. BUT CHANCES ARE IT WAS BEING READ. Removal of the free printed mag was a finnancial decision Maybe its time to see if the electronic version of the mag is being read. and therefor are safety messages getting through.

I dont know if our admin can set up a poll to see if the electronic version of sport pilot is being accessed by non subscribers or not?

I know i always read the paper mag because it kicked about in the living room but even though i am computer savvy i just dont think to checkout sport pilot on line ......am i alone or not?

You're not missing much in regard to safety. Some of the articles claim to be safety related, but are more regulator related, dumbing it down and cottonwool padding. More and more, I am finding it like being talked down to like a child.

• Agree 3

I'm no longer a member...but even so I used to regularly buy the magazine when I could find it in newsagents. Since it has gone online I have not taken much interest in it...and it's free now. I think it's a shame myself...it should have been supported to stay in print IMO.

Don you will find the current e version is easily read on PC's. You just move down the page as you read. Not like the first version failure IMHO wher you had to go down then up and across then down again and across to keep the reading flow going. In Nov I sent in negative feedback and I'm sure others did, then I sent a copy link of a good readable e mag as an example of what is out there, so the webb people could get it right.

I enjoy reading the magazine and I'm not getting in the $hit for collecting old magazines. I miss the old paper ones but my budget spends the cost of the paper magazine in fuel for flying rather than pay extra for a magazine subscription.

Here's a thought:teacher:, maybe you could, stop 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif, and accept that you're doing something to help your ailing organisation, use less key strokes than it took to post in this thread and spend $60 ( that's two packets of cigarettes or half a tank of fuel) to subscribe for six months.

The only problem I see, is that RAAus wants to boost its membership, and there will be a lot less mags laying around waiting rooms and coffee tables advertising the sport.

• Agree 1

I believe there was talk at the General Meeting last Saturday of revisiting the whole magazine issue. I think I heard - via a dodgy internet connection - that the reintroduction of hard-copies being sent to all members is under consideration by management.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Here's a thought:teacher:, maybe you could, stop 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif, and accept that you're doing something to help your ailing organisation, use less key strokes than it took to post in this thread and spend $60 ( that's two packets of cigarettes or half a tank of fuel) to subscribe for six months.The only problem I see, is that RAAus wants to boost its membership, and there will be a lot less mags laying around waiting rooms and coffee tables advertising the sport.

I don't understand why the "sport" needs marketing. It's not so much a sport as a hobby. I think that most people who want to fly will find a way, they don't need convincing, and those that don't want to fly should stay right away from it.

There are also many better sources of education about flying than the current mag for your money, so, why throw money away. I would rather have that half tank of fuel to fly somewhere than read condescending articles on how and why we should be good boys and girls.

• Agree 1

That's a possibility Skeptic, but how many people got into flying after reading a magazine in a Doctor's surgery, or nervously reading while listening to the drill in a dental surgery?

No doubt a few, but that's where surveying new members to see what kicked them off is valuable research, then you know!

I'm very sympathetic to those who feel comfortable with paper in their hand and being able to pick it up and put it down or read in bed, but the critical mass of that era has passed and the infrastructure to support it is being rapidly dismantled. In some suburbs there are no longer Newsagents. Others have now downsized their shops for Lotto and bare bones stationery as Officeworks has squeezed them out. The Newsagent I grew up with owned a Beech Baron from his sales, but I bet it's gone now.

As a result of that critical mass, all the satellite operations from journalists to editors to production staff are moving out of the shrinking industry.

There is still room for exotic coffee table communications.......if you are prepared to pay for it.

On the other hand, new opportunities have come up; I can now get up at 5 am on a Monday morning and electronically scan local newspapers from five local suburbs, and be on top of planning issues before breakfast, something not possible without wasting a lot of time in the print era. If you want to communicate something these days you don't have to wait a week or a month for the next production and print run, the latest example being the excellent Safety communication from RAA.

Not only that but you get communicate even more holistically and faster by making use of Living Document policies, where people can have information that may only have been decided two hours ago, and use it as planning for a flight they are about to undertake.

And as far as promoting for new members, where are the young ones communicating? Hint, it's probably not through printed media, and it's usually minutes old rather that days old.

I don't understand why the "sport" needs marketing. It's not so much a sport as a hobby. I think that most people who want to fly will find a way, they don't need convincing, and those that don't want to fly should stay right away from it.There are also many better sources of education about flying than the current mag for your money, so, why throw money away. I would rather have that half tank of fuel to fly somewhere than read condescending articles on how and why we should be good boys and girls.

Understanding why

1. To pay the bills as an alternative to you paying an increase in membership.

2. To pay the bills as an alternative to you paying an increase in membership.

Marketing Strategies

Thousands including passive strategies

I think much (if not most), of the recruitment was from reading in a magazine about the AUF and it's successor RAAus. You need printed references to rule changes and a summary of current rules affecting your type of flying , somewhere. There has to be a system to be checked as current, readily available. Nev

• Agree 1

I didn't renew my membership last year in protest, my print magazine was the reason I kept up my membership since I wasn't in a position to use my flying privileges, and I was feeling that the new direction was starting to look like the old directions all over again.In just a year of not reading my magazine cover to cover it is shocking how out of touch I feel I have become. I now have to decide wether to step back into the fold, or mount my plane on a pole in the garden.

Crickey Rank, don't give it away. Your place is on the agenda for a visit by our club...

I believe there was talk at the General Meeting last Saturday of revisiting the whole magazine issue. I think I heard - via a dodgy internet connection - that the reintroduction of hard-copies being sent to all members is under consideration by management.

Would be a start in getting some of the past members to renew. Use some of the proposed membership drive budget on reinstating the member magazine to all members.

The members market has taken a dive. Used to be around 100 adverts now down to a dozen or so.

might even get back some of the big advertisers like Mendelson etc.

mike.

• Agree 1

Understanding why1. To pay the bills as an alternative to you paying an increase in membership.

2. To pay the bills as an alternative to you paying an increase in membership.

Marketing Strategies

Thousands including passive strategies

So, like a Ponzi scheme? I need to convince more people to fly, so they can pay more money to support an organisation that isn't really necessary, so that the organisation will allow me to fly.

• Agree 3

So, like a Ponzi scheme? I need to convince more people to fly, so they can pay more money to support an organisation that isn't really necessary, so that the organisation will allow me to fly.

No, not like a Ponzi scheme at all, you don't have to do a thing, and you don't have to get your neighbour to convince someone else to do a thing, in a chain process.

However, if your Company does not keep renewing income to replace the income lost, then costs will become a larger percentage of the equation.

Every successful Company does it.

• Agree 2

No, not like a Ponzi scheme at all, you don't have to do a thing, and you don't have to get your neighbour to convince someone else to do a thing, in a chain process.However, if your Company does not keep renewing income to replace the income lost, then costs will become a larger percentage of the equation.

Every successful Company does it.

There's your problem, it's recreational flying, it's not supposed to be supporting a company.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Er........have you been following the recent posts on this site lately? ....and it's YOUR company, if you are a member.

Like I said "there's the problem". Unfortunately, if I am to recreationally aviate legally, I am required to be a member of a particular company. When we be seeing a Recreational Gardening company, so that gardening can be properly and safely administered?

• Agree 4

About the same time your garden becomes part of the national airspace I expect075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

Maybe a bad example. But point missed. GA seem to be able to fly without having a company of which the have to be a member of. Yes they have some other requirements, but we seem to be making it more difficult than it needs to be. That's what's killing the "sport", not the lack of promotion.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1