Pauline got a jab

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry OK, but that's like saying all christians are out to kill homosexuals and witches, as well as people who touch pigskin and shag their brother's wife or whatever - all "holy" books are full of absolute shite. Muslims come in a broad spectrum just like everyone else - from the "faithful" who pray 5 times a day to lapsed ones who are muslim in name only and don't go to mosque at all.Jeez there's a country just north of us with 200 million "muslims", I don't notice them invading Aus and subjugating us. I personally find all religions ridiculous but I believe everyone should have the freedom to practice theirs peacefully.

Before we get all excited about the chance of being run over by a jihadi-driven truck or getting a hatchet to the head, perhaps we should worry about things like smoking, drink driving, obesity, sedentary lifestyles, domestic violence - things that ARE likely to kill us. Scare mongering never leads to additional safety, it just leads to divisiveness, disenfranchisement, and an increase in exactly the thing it's trying to stop. ISIS would like nothing better than for Western governments to clamp down on muslims, then they can say "See? Told you. They hate us. They are the enemy."

All true Marty. The vast majority of Moslems do not follow their holy book to the letter. Yet. Unfortunately Saudi oil wealth is being used to spread the most austere and intolerant interpretation of their book in lands to our near north. Worldwide, a tiny, but growing minority are following their book's instructions to do nasty things to people who don't share their beliefs.

Yes, talking about the elephant in the room is playing into the hands of IS. How long can we deny the link between these cowardly atrocities and Islam? It's little different to the policies of appeasing Hitler. The sooner the modernised world develops the backbone to make a stand the better. Plenty of Moslems who fled to the west might be better off as well.

Concerned people from France and the Netherlands have warned that once the percentage of Islamic people in the population gets to about 5% it's too late. We still have time.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

May I politely point out, that in Australia, you are (statistically proven), EXPONENTIALLY more likely to be killed as a result of:

• eating McDonalds/Kentucky Fried / Pizza Hut etc fast food;

• drinking VB/Fosters/XXXX/ Bundy and Coke and driving;

• domestic violence;

• walking around in the wee small hours when there are drunk sociopaths in your vicinity throwing punches;

• climbing ladders;

• going out in inclement conditions in your tinny;

• smoking;

• driving;

• flying;

• rock fishing;

• bush walking;

• using a quad-bike on your farm;

• using a tractor on your farm;

• bicycling;

• crossing the road;

• using your mobile phone while driving;

• being a small child behind your parent's vehicle in the driveway when it reverses;

• being in a bushfire zone when it goes uncontrolled

than you are to be killed by Islamic-inspired ( or justified as such by some terminally socially-incapable nutter). And my list is just a scratch of the surface here.

Religion, per se, is a philosophical statement - and there is - if you look at it closely - relatively little fundamental difference between the underlying tenets of most of the 'recognised' major religions. However, the organisational application of various streams of religion - broadly described as the 'Churches' - is about the solidification of political power. What we all are repulsed about by the excesses of ISIS now, needs to be viewed in the context of such times as the Inquisition, the Crusades, the Elizabethan persecution of Catholics, and on and on. The only damn difference, is the timing - i.e. our current perspective.

As an old second-generation 'Australian' by birth and upbringing, of primarily Anglo-Saxon descent, (all of my grandparents were immigrants), I have been entranced and delighted at the diversification of this country's cultural influences. The Australia I knew as a teenager was constricted and constipated in its outlook; immigrants escaping the aftermath of WWII were thought of as mostly fodder for menial labour. Nowadays, I have a grandson who is half-Indian, I cook more 'Asian' food that 'traditional' Australian lamb chops and sauce, the wonderful people who look after my 98-year old mother requiring 24-hour care so well are a great mix of nationalities, I drive vehicles manufactured in both Australia and Japan, I buy sushi and kebabs and baklava from my local Mall.

We will NOT negate the violence visited upon us by sociopaths using some perversion of any religious tenet as their justification for their action by banning/excoriating them: I absolutely believe that the best defence is the generation of a milieu in which the reaction of their peers will be: 'why would we kill our friends?'

In my 60+ years of existence here, I have had two instances of unpleasant relations with 'Muslims' - but a whole lot more with 'dinki-di Aussies'. Any motorcyclist with long hair and a beard riding into a country pub in the 60/70's got abuse from the local yokels - Anglo-saxons to a fool.

EVERY ethnic group has its share of ar$holes - and our community is no different. And, for my money, Hanson is part of the problem for the integration of all of the elements that make up our country now - and absolutely NOT, part of the solution. To see where we could be wonderfully headed, read Waleed Aly's stuff. HE is an Australian I provide as an example of what we CAN be, if we unshackle ourselves from narrow prejudice and illiterate and ignorant rants. I am glad that my grandson is growing up in a country that embraces such a person - and should repudiate Hanson.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 3

May I politely point out, that in Australia, you are (statistically proven), EXPONENTIALLY more likely to be killed as a result of:

• domestic violence;

• walking around in the wee small hours when there are drunk sociopaths in your vicinity throwing punches;

• climbing ladders;

• smoking;

• driving;

• flying;

• rock fishing;

• bush walking;

• bicycling;

• crossing the road;

• being a small child behind your parent's vehicle in the driveway when it reverses;

than you are to be killed by Islamic-inspired ( or justified as such by some terminally socially-incapable nutter). And my list is just a scratch of the surface here.

Religion, per se, is a philosophical statement - and there is - if you look at it closely - relatively little fundamental difference between the underlying tenets of most of the 'recognised' major religions. However, the organisational application of various streams of religion - broadly described as the 'Churches' - is about the solidification of political power. What we all are repulsed about by the excesses of ISIS now, needs to be viewed in the context of such times as the Inquisition, the Crusades, the Elizabethan persecution of Catholics, and on and on. The only damn difference, is the timing - i.e. our current perspective.

As an old second-generation 'Australian' by birth and upbringing, of primarily Anglo-Saxon descent, (all of my grandparents were immigrants), I have been entranced and delighted at the diversification of this country's cultural influences. The Australia I knew as a teenager was constricted and constipated in its outlook; immigrants escaping the aftermath of WWII were thought of as mostly fodder for menial labour. Nowadays, I have a grandson who is half-Indian, I cook more 'Asian' food that 'traditional' Australian lamb chops and sauce, the wonderful people who look after my 98-year old mother requiring 24-hour care so well are a great mix of nationalities, I drive vehicles manufactured in both Australia and Japan, I buy sushi and kebabs and baklava from my local Mall.

We will NOT negate the violence visited upon us by sociopaths using some perversion of any religious tenet as their justification for their action by banning/excoriating them: I absolutely believe that the best defence is the generation of a milieu in which the reaction of their peers will be: 'why would we kill our friends?'

In my 60+ years of existence here, I have had two instances of unpleasant relations with 'Muslims' - but a whole lot more with 'dinki-di Aussies'. Any motorcyclist with long hair and a beard riding into a country pub in the 60/70's got abuse from the local yokels - Anglo-saxons to a fool.

EVERY ethnic group has its share of ar$holes - and our community is no different. And, for my money, Hanson is part of the problem for the integration of all of the elements that make up our country now - and absolutely NOT, part of the solution. To see where we could be wonderfully headed, read Waleed Aly's stuff. HE is an Australian I provide as an example of what we CAN be, if we unshackle ourselves from narrow prejudice and illiterate and ignorant rants. I am glad that my grandson is growing up in a country that embraces such a person - and should repudiate Hanson.

I se that being shot didn't make your list...does that mean we can all have our guns back?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Caution 1

I have a 6.5 Swedish Mauser (for pigs and feral dogs) and a Sportco .22 for rabbits and snakes - legally held and stored.. Haven't put a round through either in the last couple of years. The Red-bellied black that bit my dog in the lounge-room last summer and all but killed him, is lucky I didn't see it.

I have the greatest suspicion of people who own guns for the sake of owning guns; they usually also own pitbulls/pig-dogs, jacked-up utes with six spotlights on the roof and 'Feed the girls meat' logos on the bumper... but they probably won't shoot me meaningfully, just as a by-product of irreducible drunken stupidity. And they're mostly called Gazza, Bazza, Trevor, Mick, or Kylie.

The gun legislation has - possibly - removed guns from some of the most chronically stupid in the community - a positive. What it hasn't done - and could not do - is remove guns from those who have the utility for their use for criminal purposes and the intelligence (or money) to acquire them via illegal channels. I wouldn't place it as better than 50% success overall.

• Agree 3

All true Marty. The vast majority of Moslems do not follow their holy book to the letter. Yet. Unfortunately Saudi oil wealth is being used to spread the most austere and intolerant interpretation of their book in lands to our near north. Worldwide, a tiny, but growing minority are following their book's instructions to do nasty things to people who don't share their beliefs.Yes, talking about the elephant in the room is playing into the hands of IS. How long can we deny the link between these cowardly atrocities and Islam? It's little different to the policies of appeasing Hitler. The sooner the modernised world develops the backbone to make a stand the better. Plenty of Moslems who fled to the west might be better off as well.

Concerned people from France and the Netherlands have warned that once the percentage of Islamic people in the population gets to about 5% it's too late. We still have time.

All we need is a bit of jingoism by the "Christian" west and we again descend into xenophobia.

A most recent example is Germany in the late 20s, 30s and 40s which saw the systematic murder of at least 6 million people including Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals and anyone who wasn't aryan or christian enough. Germany, Austria, Italy and France were by and large staunch "Christian" countries.

History is littered with activities either condoned by the church, ignored by the church or feebly protested by the church and carried out by "christian" people to kill, enslave or dispossess others.

The odd mass murder of chinese and aboriginals in Australia was carried out by a supposedly "christian" people. You can be sure that the chinese and aboriginals did not commit suicide.

By all means the world needs to contain the nutters but we need to reach through the smokescreens and call out the baddies and they are generally the mafias who run monarchies, dictatorships and pseudo democracies who enslave their own people and wage war wrapped in the cloak of Islam. Some of those mafias are on our side - so it seems.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

I am not a Pauline fan, but she acquitted herself well considering she was "Setup" and continually interjected by Tony.The look on Dastyari's face when she asked if he was a Muslim.... Priceless.

PHIL.

I saw it as Tony trying to get her back on topic and not hijacking a panel with 5 members into a Pauline only panel.

• Agree 1

I just don't know how you expect them to read legislation let alone suggest amendments

sub-buzz-32065-1468978467-1.jpg?resize=625:417

One Nation

Burston (left) is an architectural design consultant from the NSW Hunter region and looks set to be elected as a senator for the state, while Culleton (right), a businessman, is being tipped to represent Western Australia.

So let’s start with Culleton, who is due to face a criminal trial in Perth for allegedly stealing a $27,000 hire car last year.

Facebook: RodCulletonOneNation

Culleton allegedly stole the vehicle during a “heated clash” while trying to stop receivers taking control of a friend’s farm, the ABC reports.

But that’s not all. Culleton was also convicted of larceny in New South Wales earlier this year. The charge relates to the theft of a key from the driver of a tow truck during an attempt to repossess a vehicle Culleton was leasing.

If he’s convicted in WA or loses his appeal in NSW, he could be disqualified from sitting in the senate.

But let’s look at what drives him. On his Facebook page, Culleton regularly shares memes from far right pages, claiming Australia is under threat from Islam and Sharia law.

Facebook: RodCulletonOneNation

There is very little on the public record relating to Culleton’s policy positions as a One Nation candidate. However, he does share links that provide some clues. He’s very vocal on farmers’ rights, he’s anti-banks and anti-foreign agriculture companies like Monsanto.

Then there’s Brian Burston, who is a former national director of One Nation who was sacked by Pauline Hanson during a bitter internal dispute in 2000. The former deputy mayor of Cessnock is now on track to become a senator for NSW.

Facebook: brianburstononenation

BuzzFeed News spoke to Burston, who said One Nation wants to speak up “for people in the bush”. When asked to explain the party’s policy on banning Muslim immigration to Australia, he put forward an analogy involving M&Ms.

“If I gave you 10,000 M&Ms to eat and then I told you before you started eating them, that 12 are poison, would you eat any of them? You wouldn’t, you’d send them back,” Burston said.

“That’s why we’re calling for a moratorium so we can figure out if Islam is a political ideology or a religion.”

He also said the “left wing media” is silencing public debate on the issue and that you can’t make jokes or “banter” anymore.

“You can’t call somebody a ‘Muzzie’ if they’re a Muslim. You can’t call Lebanese people ‘Lebbo’. I’ve got a Lebanese solicitor friend in Sydney who calls himself a Lebbo. Others see that as racist,” he said.

“My daughter is married to a Sri Lankan, lovely guy and contributed to Australia, but she calls him a ‘monkey’. You know, affectionately.”

Burston is also anti-marriage equality but pro-plebiscite (“but I have no issues with gay people, I have friends that are gay, they’re lovely, lovely people”) and anti-climate science.

“The climate changes every day doesn’t it? It’s raining today, it was fine yesterday,” he said.

According to Burston, Hanson will allow conscience votes for her senators on every piece of legislation in the senate, suggesting the party will not always vote as a bloc.

With the government needing to negotiate with a senate crossbench for contentious legislation, the stage is set for an extremely interesting three years.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

I saw it as Tony trying to get her back on topic and not hijacking a panel with 5 members into a Pauline only panel.

Col,

You could be right regards Tony interrupting her diatribe to get on track to his/ their preconceived program

The audience that put the questions were I assume hand picked and tony was not getting the debate he invisaged.

A disgraceful biased set up.

Shame on you Tony and the ABC

Not one of the Muslim audience spoke up about the innocent killings in the name of Allah.

Note, that Xenophon when asked to comment was a fence sitter. He also would have realised he was wasting his time on the panel.

Proof reading the above, it may seem that I am a Hanson supporter. I just hope that we can assimilate like we did in the 50's with the Bolts. Wogs, Ities, Greeks, Germans etc, etc.

Wake up Australia!

Look what's happening overseas in the name of " Allah"

Let the debate continue.

PHIL.

• Agree 3
  • Caution 1

• domestic violence;

• climbing ladders;

• smoking;

• driving;

• flying;

• rock fishing;

• bush walking;

• bicycling;

• crossing the road;

I can't challenge your statistics, Oscar. This country has been incredibly lucky...so far. Islamic nutters would have killed many Australians if it were not for the diligence of our security services and many worried Moslem parents.

I used to share your tolerant view of Islam and once held the pious hope that the goodness in people would win out over ignorance. Experience has diminished my faith in human nature. You're right that often the violence has more to do with individual mental health issues- but it seems their book not only condones this violence, but requires it.

I am also a long-term fan of Wakeed Aly, but that's irrelevant; even his intellect cannot offset the hate and savagery of disaffected Moslems.

Of the Moslem friends I have made, most have come to this country to escape the violence and hatred of other Moslem sects. Can we guarantee that their children will not turn on us?

At least we are recently seeing that the racists and bigots really are a tiny minority of Australians. Lets hope that we can push them to shut up or ship out for the future of our nation now that they have been exposed for who and what they are.

• Like 1

She's an idiot. What happens when the RC into Islam finds that the gov can't do anything because they aren't breaking any laws? Back to bashing asians?

FT you seem to misunderstand. Who said anything about breaking laws? She called for a Royal Commission into whether Islam is a political movement incompatible with our democratic system.

• Agree 1

Let's assume for one moment that islam is a political movement, which will come as a bit of a surprise to about a billion people.

What sort of political movement is incompatible with our democratic system? If it breaks current laws, for example incitement to violence, then it doesn't much matter what the organisation is, it'll be banned.

If it wants to be a political movement that gets elected to our parliament or senate, like Pauline herself, then it is quite within its rights to try and do so, so long as it follows all the laws and electoral regulations. Good luck with that one, I don't think Australia will vote in the Moslem Brotherhood.

So I'm not real sure what she's trying to do. The obvious point is that she hasn't thought it through herself, which comes as no real surprise.

FT you seem to misunderstand. Who said anything about breaking laws? She called for a Royal Commission into whether Islam is a political movement incompatible with our democratic system.

Which bits are incompatible, how do you define a political movement? Did you see 730report tonight? The bit about the catholic church protecting pedophiles? That is incompatible with Australian laws and values why can't we shut down the catholic church which has a proven criminal history?

Where does scientology fit into this royal commision into Un-Australian activities?

Did you see what happened with Glenn Lazarus's CSG inquiry? He was too stupid to ask the right questions and never got anywhere

You are looking at Europe through the prism of a race baiting media, the majority of crime in the EU still conducted by christians

A claim that's probably impossible to verify, FT. Are you talking about the random slaughter of innocents?

Ask people from across Northern Europe about their experiences after welcoming Islamic refugees.

Quite a few are starting to regret their well-meaning, Christian charity.

• Agree 1

Which bits are incompatible, how do you define a political movement? Did you see 730report tonight? The bit about the catholic church protecting pedophiles? That is incompatible with Australian laws and values why can't we shut down the catholic church which has a proven criminal history?Where does scientology fit into this royal commision into Un-Australian activities?

Did you see what happened with Glenn Lazarus's CSG inquiry? He was too stupid to ask the right questions and never got anywhere

Good points, FT. The churches have had to front inquiries and make some pretty damaging admissions. Several are, as result making fundamental changes. Why should Islam be exempt?

Why are there no islamic churches appearing at the RC into institutional child abuse? The Islam churches not being packed with pedophiles is probably a major contributing factor, who knows? the first mosque was built in 1861, so plenty of opportunities.

I think a lot of you guy's are missing the point here, the debate is not whether you are Christian or Muslim (or any other religion for that matter) but how you assimilate into our society. I have spent the better part of 20 years living and working overseas in countries such as Indonesia, Brunei, Singapore, Malaysia, Oman, Dubai and Abu Dhabi to mention but a few. I have good friends in all of these countries both Muslim and Christian and none of them would lift a finger to hurt any one of us but;

In Australia (and most western countries that I have been in) the people are Australian first (or if you are a Queenslander then it is Queensland), family next then everything after that, in the predominately Muslim countries it is Islam first (above all else, some of this is imposed by the government but mainly by the Imams and clerics ) then country, family and whatever comes after that. The Serbian, Bosnian, Croatian conflict should bear testament to that, neighbours who had been friends for years were suddenly enemies due to differences in religion and ethnic origin, we can not allow that to happen in this country.

Australia is by far the best country in the world to live in and due to my experience I believe I'm qualified to make that assumption, yes we have to put up with a bit of regulation that is over the top and the recent governments are a cluster f!! but all in all there is no better place in the world to live.

I have no issue with anyone wanting to immigrate to Australia (regardless of you race or religion) providing you take up our way of life, I do not want you coming here and bring all the sh1t from your previous country with you and creating little whatever it is in our cities, that is supposedly the reason you are leaving because if it was a great place you would stay there and we would all want to immigrate to where you came from, the reason for you coming here is because you didn't like it where you were.

Waleed Aly is part of the problem while he comes across sounding really good in all the television interviews and has some excellent arguments, he supposedly agrees with Sharia Law, there is in my opinion no place in this country for Sharia Law.

From my observations Asians are some of the most racist groups that I have come across in my time spent overseas, a few examples Indonesians hate the West Timorise and Papuans because they are black, the Indonesians hate the Chinese (because the Chinese run a lot of the business in Indonesia), the Malays hate the Chinese (for the same reason as the Indonesians) the Malays also don't like the Singaporeans essentially due to their success, Singaporeans do not like the Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and the Burmese (because they take so many of the jobs as they are paid nothing compared to the Singaporeans). The Indians hate the Pakistanis and the Bangladeshis and vice versa for all three. Part of this resentment of other races is because of colour and part is because of religion and part is because they take the available jobs.

Pauline Hanson gets a voice because the governments of the day (both Liberal and Labour) no longer have any assimilation with the average person in the street they don't listen to the peoples concerns and they appear to treat the general population as idiots. Malcolm Turnbull is the perfect example of this and I vote LNP (lower house)

I do live in country Queensland and grew up on a large property but I have spent over 4000 hours as a passenger in commercial jets travelling this world so I have a pretty good idea what happens both inside and outside this country.

Anyway end of rant I have put my flak jacket on to withstand the onslaught.

Aldo

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Winner 1

Telling all those muslims kids they aren't welcome here, because they won't fit in and don't value what we value, is one of the best ways to lead them down the path to obtaining a truck driving licence.

At least we are recently seeing that the racists and bigots really are a tiny minority of Australians. Lets hope that we can push them to shut up or ship out for the future of our nation now that they have been exposed for who and what they are.

Win I'm not quite sure what you mean by "racists and bigots". Those term are so overused, often without much thought. As a rural Australian raised in a racially-divided community I've seen lots of racism and bigotry, and have spent my working life trying to reduce both. Racism and bigotry are not confined to white fellas; they're pretty common in many ethnic groups.

Telling all those muslims kids they aren't welcome here, because they won't fit in and don't value what we value, is one of the best ways to lead them down the path to obtaining a truck driving licence.

You may be right FT; a difficult dilemma. So what do we do? Welcome in lots more and hope their unemployed children won't try to kill us?