Man's best friend?

NT5224

Does anybody on here take their dog flying? I don't own a dog but hope to soon get my first pup.

I have no idea if this idea is dumb or illegal, so I'm gauging opinions. I ask because I've seen pilots land and their best mate come happily bouncing out once the hatch opens, and happily bounce back in when it's time to leave again. I'm not certain, but don't think those dogs were confined to cages within the cabin....

Another thing that makes me wonder about flying with dogs is I'm pretty sure I've seen special noise reduction ear muffs (headsets) designed for certain breeds of dogs.

Anybody take their dog up? If so, what are the cockpit arrangements? If you don't want to reply on the forum pm me

Cheers

Alan

Google "mutt muffs" for hearing protection.

I just put my dog on a very very short lead, unlikely to give her much protection in a crash but will prevent her turning into an unrestrained flying object or from scrambling onto my lap should we encounter serious turbulence.

I understand that the regulations state they must be in a cage.

On long flights I have put sponge ear buds in her ears after the first couple of times she accepts them with resignation

• Like 1

Be especially careful if you have an open fuse, a nice size dog could make a bad difference if it got spooked and crawled down to the tail.

Unrestrained dogs have caused car accidents so I think it would be wise to have them secured in flight.

• Like 1

There are a range of dog harnesses available at pet stores which are designed to restrain your dog in a car which should be suitable in your plane as well. The seatbelt latch may be different, but you should be able to anchor the belt to a solid anchor point.

322811205_DogHarnesses.JPG.2178ab789dfee04b7400e9897634069e.JPG

907860324_Dogharness.JPG.b3214944fac836bbaffdb52b0962c452.JPG

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Cruel Nuts

• Dogs hearing is many times more sensitive than ours. No animal should be deliberately exposed to a high noise environment. Unless there is a very good reason to do so.

• Dogs will do almost anything to stay close to their human. This should not be misinterpreted as enjoyment, willingness or other anthropomorphic BS

• What happens when dogs inner ear is blocked, just like us,extreme discomfort /pain how will dog react ? I have seen a dog in pain try & bite just about anything in the vicinity-humans, cables, chair legs etc GOOD LOOK IN THE AIR.

• All loose items within an an aircraft should be properly restrained/secured

Cat video showed cat in extreme fear & poor pref-flight checks. I am amazed that cat did not leap onto pilot/passenger & then into thin air.

Surprised Kaz has not contributed to this thread, as her constant canine companion seems to have featured in her travels blatting around in the Auster.

Two of my best Border Collie sheepdogs made the transition from their SW Western Australian birthplaces back to the Wheatbelt as pups, sitting on my lap in the Airtourer. Must not have traumatized them too much!

I can remember a story of a UK character who flew one of Mr Percival's products who was always accompanied by a Labrador, who quite happily sat in the right seat unresrtrained through barrell rolls!

• 3 months later...

Back in the 90s in NZ we left it too late to book our dog into a kennel for Christmas so decided to take her with us. She (Katie our Samoyed) loved hanging her head out the car window at 100 kmh so I thought we'd give it a go & see if she was OK. There didn't appear to be any rules about it (I didn't look anyway) & borrowed a club 172 for a check ride & put her in the back seat, no harness, nothing. She got quite excited as we were taxiing for takeoff then as soon as we got out of contact with the ground & she couldn't see anything, she just lay down & dozed off. I opened the window & she poked her nose out until her jowls nearly flapped off & she wisely withdrew. The flight away for Christmas was about 3 hours & she seemed quite happy with everything. I got quite a reaction from ATC when I radioed permission to enter CTA with Cessna ETA overhead (reporting point) 1500 feet 2 P.O.B, 1 D.O.G & a bunch of Christmas presents etc. The controller was a mate & he couldn't stop laughing

• Like 1

Surprised Kaz has not contributed to this thread, as her constant canine companion seems to have featured in her travels blatting around in the Auster.Two of my best Border Collie sheepdogs made the transition from their SW Western Australian birthplaces back to the Wheatbelt as pups, sitting on my lap in the Airtourer. Must not have traumatized them too much!

I can remember a story of a UK character who flew one of Mr Percival's products who was always accompanied by a Labrador, who quite happily sat in the right seat unresrtrained through barrell rolls!

Here I am...

I applied for a permit from CASA as required by the Regs and the conditions were that she be secured in the back seat with a harness and a lead, and that she be seated on an absorbent pad over canvas so that any nasties could not seep onto the fuse frame. Never had an "accident".

The AUSTER is very noisy and I purchased a pair of mutt muffs to save her hearing.

Never demonstrated great desire to go flying but never liked being left behind, either.

The permit is in the aeroplane so I can't look but I think it cost me $160. It has been very handy on a couple of occasions when I have been challenged for having a dog on an airstrip (Alice Springs and Deniliquin).

Kaz

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

Back in the 90s in NZ we left it too late to book our dog into a kennel for Christmas so decided to take her with us. She (Katie our Samoyed) loved hanging her head out the car window at 100 kmh so I thought we'd give it a go & see if she was OK. There didn't appear to be any rules about it (I didn't look anyway) & borrowed a club 172 for a check ride & put her in the back seat, no harness, nothing. She got quite excited as we were taxiing for takeoff then as soon as we got out of contact with the ground & she couldn't see anything, she just lay down & dozed off. I opened the window & she poked her nose out until her jowls nearly flapped off & she wisely withdrew. The flight away for Christmas was about 3 hours & she seemed quite happy with everything. I got quite a reaction from ATC when I radioed permission to enter CTA with Cessna ETA overhead (reporting point) 1500 feet 2 P.O.B, 1 D.O.G & a bunch of Christmas presents etc. The controller was a mate & he couldn't stop laughing

I had a rough-running engine half-way between Tennant Creek and the Alice a few years ago. I called Melbourne Centre to tell them the good news...

Me. MELB CENTRE AUSTER BYM 5000 TRACKING SOUTH ABEAM STURT HWY APPROX 180 NM ALICE ENGINE ROUGH CLIMBING 7000.

Long pause before female controller replied...looking up AUSTER???

Melb. BYM HOW MANY POB?

Me. ONE PERSON ONE DOG

Melb. IS THAT TWO POB?

Me. NEGATIVE. ONE PERSON ONE DOG

Instantaneous And at high pitch

Melb. IS THE DOG ALRIGHT?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not a aircraft.but my long hair chihuahua absolutely loves motorbikes

She is happy in the tank bag, in a backpack or a gearsak on the rack.As long as she has her head out. Loves all the smells and looking at amazed car drivers, always gets big smiles.

She is 18 and still is up for it.

• More 1

I converted to taildraggers on a J3 Cub. For those who aren't familiar with this plane, they are flown from the rear seat (2 seat tandem), & there is a parcel shelf at head level behind the rear seat.

The guy who owned the Cub turned up on his bike with his small terrier sitting on the fuel tank. While we did the preflight, the dog hopped up into the plane & lay down on the parcel shelf.

I got on fine with my flying instruction, but it was a bit distracting on final when the dog started huffing in my ear. When she got to know me better, she would give the occasional lick by way of reassurance. She loved both the Cub & riding on the motorbike.

• Like 2

Rossi Valentino is the furry ones name as she loves to ride like her namesake. She has three legs and a titanium hip, attacked by a bad Rottie when 3yo. Fearless but smart, the rottie scored a huge gash in its face.

She was the first to survive such injury and Sydney uni experimented to save her, as her will to live was immense. They had never done such small hip work before.

Her mate Monty also a longhair only passed 6 weeks ago, at the young age of 19 years 4 months. Happy to the end. He loved cats until he was 16 he never met one he couldn't catch, he never hurt them just loved the chase, capture and lick. Also a champion ratter. Once I came home to five dead rats lined up nose to tail in front of the great white god as sacrifices - the fridge. He killed hundreds of big bad rats, never a blood mark on them. Always a fast broken neck, some still standing but dead.

Was always a laugh riding the horse with big goat following and two chihuahua leading. Monty also loved riding, one dog each side in a back pack heads on my shoulders.

They also spent most of their lives as therapy helpers for disability work. Amazing nature and never biters or noisy.

My furr kids

• Like 3