Narromine debarkle,,,,6ft fence !!!!!!!

bull

@Bex...I wasn’t there so I don’t have an opinion about it either way and I don’t think I was complaining.

If I was there and I thought the fence was a problem, I would suggest that it wasn’t the best choice, ask why it was and perhaps suggest that next year it be ropes like they have at Avalon or nothing at all like some flyins I’ve been to...but that’s just me ;).

Ak

• Agree 1

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There used to be a lot more to speedway than sedans and sprintcars. Alive and well is not a term I would use.

Absolute utter rubbish!, not to mention very misleading.

Just going back to the VSC, they currently administer:

Goulburn Ovens Sedans

Sports Sedans

Unlimited Sedans

Formula 500

Standard saloons

Standard saloons - Ladies

SDAV Hot Rods

Limited Sportsman

VSC Sprintcars

V8 Supermodified

Division 2 Hot Rods

Mini Sprints

Super Rods

Thunder Sedans

Standard Saloons - Juniors

Add to that some of the National bodies

SRA Sprintcars

Speedcars

Compact Speedcars

Speedway Sidecars Speedway sidecar photos

Speedway Go Karts

Super Sedans

Solo Speedway Bikes

FIA Solo Speedway Bikes

The FIM Speedway Grad Prix held at Etihad Stadium in Melbourne is the biggest indoor motorsports event in the Southern Hemisphere.

I apologise to speedway people for leaving out probably another 20 classes.

The VSC adminsters its classes; the other classes are administered through their own Federal Bodies, by volunteers.

National Administration of all these groups is by Speedway Australia.

Speedway Australia describes its structure as: The corporate structure of the organisation includes a company (Pty Ltd) and an Incorporated (Inc) association operating under the direction of a common board (Speedway Australia Board). The Pty Ltd side of Speedway Australia acts as the commercial arm of the company, while the Incorporated side of Speedway Australia is responsible for running the sport of Speedway.

Speedway today provides entry levels to the whole family, with affordable bikes, sedans and open wheelers, all the way up to the elite National and International competition classes.

Speedway today provides entry levels to the whole family, with affordable bikes, sedans and open wheelers, all the way up to the elite National and International competition classes.

Cough, cough, bullcoughsh1t cough.

If you're at the top. you got no idea what you've done to the bottom end. People like you are doing it to rec flying as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Townsville Aerodrome...How it was done back then...My wife Frances and Me...No date on the photos and I don`t recall, some else might.

1897298177_FranFrank.(Large).JPG.34c16b66bb5cbc201ae264aadefed867.JPG

1523136690_P9260256(Large).JPG.de04a49c3fef9338c1ccf0999ace82d1.JPG

Frank,

Ps, I certainly wouldn`t go to an airshow where I had to look through a 6 foot high, wire fence.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I saw plenty of terrific aircraft and learnt quite a bit in seminars. I ate good food and drank excellent beer; had plenty of laughs and met some great people, including some from this forum.

It's easy to find fault, but all credit to RAAus and other bodies for organising the event. The weather didn't cooperate, so numbers were down, but as I climbed out of Narromine on Saturday before the air display, I was impressed by how many aircraft were parked on the ground. I hope it's on again next year.

I'd love to see RAAus set up a permanent base; SAAA is already at Narromine and it's an aviation-minded town, so why not?

• Like 8
  • Caution 1

The NZ system stinks for victims of negligent actions!I was burnt with 50 percent, due solely to negligent actions.

Three weeks minimum wage by employer followed, by four weeks by government then onto the DOLE, for the long wait for assessment, for disability allowance,if any!.

spacesailor

• Informative 1

Cough, cough, bullcoughsh1t cough.If you're at the top. you got no idea what you've done to the bottom end. People like you are doing it to rec flying as well.

So far you haven't actually come out with anything factual; you can still go to a wreckers, build up a car yourself, and race it once or twice a month, just as you always could.

There are a lot of lessons in that Australia-wide network for RAA.

So far you haven't actually come out with anything factual; you can still go to a wreckers, build up a car yourself, and race it once or twice a month, just as you always could.There are a lot of lessons in that Australia-wide network for RAA.

From your comments Turbo, I rather think you might be referring to the 'Australia-wide world of Victoria', rather than 'Australia - wide'.

From everything that I've experienced in regional areas, and even more so in remoter areas, motorsports just don't exist anymore, except, where the tracks might still remain, as an occasional travelling circus of semi- or full-time professionals, much like the V8s.

The reasons cited for the closing of the previously weekly events was the increased cost of event insurance and dwindling spectator patronage for three reasons - their isolation from the action by layers of catch fencing at the insurers' insistence, huge gate fee increases and predatory police surveillance over drivers departing the venue.

Try a fact-finding trip around the outback and see how many motorsport events you can attend ...

The only places you'll still find them is in major mining towns where the only competitive contenders are the long-term mine managers who have the pay packet to afford it ...

Entry level? ... nope!

• Agree 1
  • Winner 4

cheaper to hire some fencing than break the bank with extra public liability insurance, holes big enough to allow taking photos, but small enough to keep you away, kinda sucks aviation show you not allowed to look close at the aircraft

From your comments Turbo, I rather think you might be referring to the 'Australia-wide world of Victoria', rather than 'Australia - wide'From everything that I've experienced in regional areas, and even more so in remoter areas, motorsports just don't exist anymore, except, where the tracks might still remain, as an occasional travelling circus of semi- or full-time professionals, much like the V8s.

Over the past couple of hours I've analysed the readily available statistics, and what I said about Victoria is repeated around Australia.

We've been talking about Speedway. Other forms of Motorsport, particularly those administered by CAMS certainly are nothing like they used to be - but they are not speedway.

"The reasons cited for the closing of the previously weekly events was the increased cost of event insurance and dwindling spectator patronage for three reasons - their isolation from the action by layers of catch fencing at the insurers' insistence, huge gate fee increases and predatory police surveillance over drivers departing the venue.

We negotiated PL Insurance on a per race meeting basis in the 1980s, and were able to bring costs under control.

We set the safety fence height at 1.5 metres, and catch fence top at 4.2 metres with a cant, also in the mid 1980s.

So those two items are very old news, and we faced no major obstacles on either.

Gate fees are determined by the promoter, so there could be some gouging, but spectatpr levels indicate that they are reasonably in line with inflation.

Most speedways went dry in the 1980s in Victoria, and police presence quickly faded, but I'm not sure about other States.

Try a fact-finding trip around the outback and see how many motorsport events you can attend ...The only places you'll still find them is in major mining towns where the only competitive contenders are the long-term mine managers who have the pay packet to afford it ...

Once again you are talking motorsports, and the discussion is about speedway; in Victoria the 1980s are still operating the only exception I could find was Nhill. Most of the names in the other States are familiar to me, but some could have dropped out; the situation has always been fluid.

Entry level? ... nope!

You probably won't pick up a $50.00 car any more ready to race, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could get one ready to race for $500.00. That's what I call entry level; a lot of teenagers race today.

However, the proof is in the pudding; in the mid 1980s we insured 105 race tracks Australia-wide.

Over the last couple of hours, I've identified 109 tracks and that's not all of them; I can't pick up the smaller independent tracks you may be referring to.

There's no fall off in tracks; we've grown steadily.

I also identified 68 classes of cars and bikes. That's grown substantially, and there are plenty of open wheelers racing all over the country.

Speedway is integrated vertically by car class, so most have their own National Body which decides things like specifications and championships.

It is horizontally integrated by States, reflecting State laws, and distances.

upload_2017-10-23_0-55-49.png.96a9f9b36ecd090e33b7d7b21a293616.png

upload_2017-10-23_0-56-58.png.af14515bcfb2d69eb99eede13add8173.png

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Over the past couple of hours I've analysed the readily available statistics, and what I said about Victoria is repeated around Australia.We've been talking about Speedway. Other forms of Motorsport, particularly those administered by CAMS certainly are nothing like they used to be - but they are not speedway.

We negotiated PL Insurance on a per race meeting basis in the 1980s, and were able to bring costs under control.

We set the safety fence height at 1.5 metres, and catch fence top at 4.2 metres with a cant, also in the mid 1980s.

So those two items are very old news, and we faced no major obstacles on either.

Gate fees are determined by the promoter, so there could be some gouging, but spectatpr levels indicate that they are reasonably in line with inflation.

Most speedways went dry in the 1980s in Victoria, and police presence quickly faded, but I'm not sure about other States.

Once again you are talking motorsports, and the discussion is about speedway; in Victoria the 1980s are still operating the only exception I could find was Nhill. Most of the names in the other States are familiar to me, but some could have dropped out; the situation has always been fluid.

You probably won't pick up a $50.00 car any more ready to race, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could get one ready to race for $500.00. That's what I call entry level; a lot of teenagers race today.

However, the proof is in the pudding; in the mid 1980s we insured 105 race tracks Australia-wide.

Over the last couple of hours, I've identified 109 tracks and that's not all of them; I can't pick up the smaller independent tracks you may be referring to.

There's no fall off in tracks; we've grown steadily.

I also identified 68 classes of cars and bikes. That's grown substantially, and there are plenty of open wheelers racing all over the country.

Speedway is integrated vertically by car class, so most have their own National Body which decides things like specifications and championships.

It is horizontally integrated by States, reflecting State laws, and distances.

[ATTACH=full]52280[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]52281[/ATTACH]

Whats SPEEDWAY??? is that that thing we all used to go to on Friday or Saturday night with all the great racing and smash up derbys etc hav,nt seen one around here for ages, oh I think they might have the high end sprint cars every blue moon in Mackay but any where else up here ,,,NOPE ,used to be a great track at Ayr but gone now ,used for motocross now,,,,so I think your blowing bubbles Turbo....................................

• Haha 1

Whats SPEEDWAY??? is that that thing we all used to go to on Friday or Saturday night with all the great racing and smash up derbys etc hav,nt seen one around here for ages, oh I think they might have the high end sprint cars every blue moon in Mackay but any where else up here ,,,NOPE ,used to be a great track at Ayr but gone now ,used for motocross now,,,,so I think your blowing bubbles Turbo....................................

As it happens I attended a great meeting at Mackay in May/June with about 60 cars ranging from super sedans to Formula 500s. Guys came in from Emerald to Townsville.

It was as good as a capital city meeting. The one exception was a few sedans with sprintcar wings on top; they were as slow as a wet week and the front wing mounts broke on one, and he finish the race with the wing sitting vertically.

cheaper to hire some fencing

Well I for one am glad planes don't fly over 6 foot high and that the majority of accidents at air shows aren't from above....

Sarcasm aside, there are better ways to do it if it has to be done, the meter high fence in Red's post number 5 for example, certainly worked at China, even tempted Jabiru to show their planes, clearly they knew about the 6 foot fence beforehand ...

show-3-jpg.51995

show-7-jpg.51992

• Informative 1

cheaper to hire some fencing than break the bank with extra public liability insurance, holes big enough to allow taking photos, but small enough to keep you away, kinda sucks aviation show you not allowed to look close at the aircraft

I'm not sure where you are coming from? The big fence at narromine was only in the road of a few aircraft you could still quite happily wander through it to look at the static display aircraft.

• Informative 2

I'm not sure where you are coming from? The big fence at narromine was only in the road of a few aircraft you could still quite happily wander through it to look at the static display aircraft.

But those few aircraft where the high end type and most interesting for kids and photos for the average joe, ie re fighters warbirds etc

Sarcasm aside, there are better ways to do it if it has to be done, the meter high fence in Red's post number 5 for example, certainly worked at China, even tempted Jabiru to show their planes, clearly they knew about the 6 foot fence beforehand ...

In all fairness Bex, a 1 m fence in China is equivalent to a 1.8 m fence in Australia. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

• Haha 8

080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif[ATTACH=full]52268[/ATTACH]

At Oshkosh this year there were NO fences apart from around the whole venue to keep non-payers out. There were hundreds of thousands of people, thousands of airplanes, tens of thousands of aircraft movements and not a single case of an idiot walking into a prop, anywhere. But here in Oz (according to CASA) we're not to be trusted!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1

At Oshkosh this year there were NO fences apart from around the whole venue to keep non-payers out. There were hundreds of thousands of people, thousands of airplanes, tens of thousands of aircraft movements and not a single case of an idiot walking into a prop, anywhere. But here in Oz (according to CASA) we're not to be trusted!

It's time someone found out from RAA what the purpose of the fence was; it's sounding very much like it was to ensure payment, particularly if as some reports indicate, it was possible to walk, unrestricted, among aircraft. There would be no point isolating some, but not others on any safety grounds.

• Agree 1

Raa have little to do with it other than assist and give finacial support

Its essentially as a not for profit event by volunteers

Contact the organisers

Yes you could walk out airside and wander through aircraft wasnt very hard

• Agree 1

Raa have little to do with it other than assist and give finacial supportIts essentially as a not for profit event by volunteers

Contact the organisers

Yes you could walk out airside and wander through aircraft wasnt very hard

Well what was the point in a 6 ft bloody fence then???

It would appear, quite apart from other events, the most public memory of the 2017 event will "the fence".

At 750nm direct, w/o a fuel stop, it will never be a consideration for me in any case.

I have travelled further (half a dozen times to Oshkosh) but that is at a completely different level & for a week long event.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

It would appear, quite apart from other events, the most public memory of the 2017 event will "the fence".At 750nm direct, w/o a fuel stop, it will never be a consideration for me in any case.

I have travelled further (half a dozen times to Oshkosh) but that is at a completely different level & for a week long event.

Yes frank, your right mate, Sadly I think natfly/Narromine/air venture what ever they want to call it now is well and truly dead. For the costs involved and the money that members of RAA and others that was wasted on this mismanaged debarkle,,,I could not see the RAAhighracky getting away with the waste of members funds again. And as you and many other members have stated on here and elsewhere,it is not an event on our calenders, more fun and better attractions and people at nearly any small """flyin'' very much like Natfly used to be,,,,,very sad and I think monck and co will have a hard time shaking the shit off from this one...........

• Agree 3
  • More 1