Coominya crash

I believe he had an engine failure. I was in the air at the time in the circuit at Coominya.

I heard it all happening on the radio. I know the pilot and plane. My thoughts are with him, I wish you a speedy recovery my friend.

• Like 6

I can tell you that I was flying in the circuit at Coominya at the time of the incident and I was concerned with the radio transmissions that I was hearing. He was reporting that he was having engine problems, popping sounds coming from the engine and loss of RPM..... Then nothing. As I said, I know the guy and his plane, we share a hanger

Not sure what I should say on here, maybe accident investigators may be interested in what I witnessed

• Like 1

The photos show it was Danny's homebuilt.

Coominya Flight Training

I'm glad he is doing well, all things considered.

I really feel for the work he put into the plane. I'd rather loose a limb than loose something I put my heart and soul into. Then again, I haven't started building yet so I might wanna burn the thing by the time it's done.

• Agree 1

I was speaking with him, as he was working on it, the other day in the hanger, The slats were on, and I thought he said it was a Subaru engine, but I may have mis-heard Suzuki. He's a top bloke, and a friendly face around the Coominya airfield.

• Like 1

I can tell you that I was flying in the circuit at Coominya at the time of the incident and I was concerned with the radio transmissions that I was hearing. He was reporting that he was having engine problems, popping sounds coming from the engine and loss of RPM..... Then nothing. As I said, I know the guy and his plane, we share a hangerNot sure what I should say on here, maybe accident investigators may be interested in what I witnessed

What you have said is very informative and probably the right amount so the readers have an accurate bit of information. What I always recommend to people that witness something is to write a record of what you saw while it is fresh in your memory and then you can forward that to the investigators for their information. Cheers and I also hope for a speedy and full recovery to the pilot.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

I can tell you that I was flying in the circuit at Coominya at the time of the incident and I was concerned with the radio transmissions that I was hearing. He was reporting that he was having engine problems, popping sounds coming from the engine and loss of RPM..... Then nothing. As I said, I know the guy and his plane, we share a hangerNot sure what I should say on here, maybe accident investigators may be interested in what I witnessed

Agree with post above about writing it down. Also, be kind to yourself. This may impact you more than you expect.

• Agree 2

Agree with post above about writing it down. Also, be kind to yourself. This may impact you more than you expect.

Yep, already had one ordinary nights sleep thinking about the day's events.

so glad to hear the pilot is OK - considering the amount of damage to the cockpit area of the aircraft, that's amazing - hate to think what would happen if that happened to a Drifter...

anyway, looking forward to finding out the aircraft came to end up in that position - did it hit the tree further up and then drop to the ground?

BP

• Agree 1

Described on the Brisbane Times website as an "agricultural plane". At least it wasn't a Cessna.

It may not be an "agricultural plane" per se but it has been built strongly along "agricultural" KISS design principles. How many other RA Aus planes could crash into a tree like this and have the pilot survive?

Credit goes to co-designers, Max Tedesco and Chris Heintz in coming up with both a light and strong aircraft. Zenith CH701 owners (and owners of an ICP Savannah which is derived from Max's and Chris' underlying design work) can take a measure of comfort from this.

I hope the pilot makes a quick and full recovery!

• Like 3

What you have said is very informative and probably the right amount so the readers have an accurate bit of information. What I always recommend to people that witness something is to write a record of what you saw while it is fresh in your memory and then you can forward that to the investigators for their information. Cheers and I also hope for a speedy and full recovery to the pilot.

I took your advice and wrote my record of the incident within 24hrs. I had a call from RAAus, they were interested in talking to me about it. I was then able to email them that copy of that written record. I hope it helps them.