Foxbat down yesterday at my Base Airfeld

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bushell is a volume measure and equals 8 gallons (imp). An acre is different in England 4840, Scotland 6150 and Ireland 7840 square Yards. So buy Irish land and you get more by far. Nev

• Haha 1

Bushell is a volume measure and equals 8 gallons (imp). An acre is different in England 4840, Scotland 6150 and Ireland 7840 square Yards. So buy Irish land and you get more by far. Nev

Thanks Nev,

Wouldn’t happen to know the price per bushel of corn would you in Ireland??

US farmers are suffering with the prices since my good mate Don got stuck in to China.

... An acre is different in England 4840, Scotland 6150 and Ireland 7840 square Yards. So buy Irish land and you get more by far. Nev

Nev they're mucking about with the natural order of things.

I was raised to believe an acre was the amount of land one man with an ox could plough in a day.

• Like 2

Nev they're mucking about with the natural order of things.

I was raised to believe an acre was the amount of land one man with an ox could plough in a day.

The Irish always hitch their ploughs up after lunch.

Well there is only so much one can say about a high performance stol aircraft failing to take off and the thread drift has been interesting, but gardening that's a bit to extreme

I don't know, there's been more than a few aircraft that have used incorrectly, and went and ploughed up a few paddocks - so I can definitely see the farming and gardening links being quite appropriate.  :cheezy grin:

• Like 2

In fact there should be a straightest furrow competition.

We all have straight furrows now with 2cm differential correction autosteer, I could not drive a tractor or sprayer with out it.

• Like 1

Near here, local place names including Jim Crow Creek, Blackjack Road and Blackfellows Gate Road are subject to name- changing petitions. Councils will probably concede. The names are at least 170 years old.

As long as Yorkey gets to keep his knob and I can visit Rooty Hill I’ll be right mate 

So buy Irish land and you get more by far. Nev

Yes ... which is the only rational reason for an ASI to read mph as opposed to knots.

Garfly, are you telling us, the Irish invented ASI's?? They couldn't possibly have!

If the Irish had invented ASI's, they'd read in MPH and Knots - to be sure, to be sure ...  :cheezy grin:

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Not being a qualified Flight instructor, I agreed to sit with a chap ( Old friend and Business associate ) who had bought a Kitfox Mk3, which was a GA aircraft on the register.  I had over 200 Hrs on type, and the Friend had taken a tailwheel course and been signed off as competent but he asked me to fly alongside him for a few hours, for confidence building as he had never flown a Kitfox before,, and there was no local instructor who had either. . .

He had done his tailwheel endorsement on a Bellanca Decathlon,. . which is a much heavier airframe with a much more powerful engine,. . .But had passed anyway.

I flew with him for 65 hours (  Oh Yeah,. .free flying WOULDN'T YOU ? ? but I usually paid for the breakfasts ! !  ),. . .to all sorts of locations; and he alway appeared to be under-confident, even to the point of asking me to do the radio calls. ( He had passed his GA licence course in Florida a year previously, on PA 28s, and while he was there, he also did a helicopter course in a Robinson R22. . but that's another story ).

We got to the point were I was worried that his crosswind landing technique was non existent,. . he tried sideslipping, as taught by his american instructor and Crabbing, too, but always got it wrong. ..  I showed him how I did it,. . on several occasions, but as I said, . .I am NOT an instructor.   I said that the best thing he could do would be to approach a taildragger instructor and do it properly. .( I hate to tell people that they will never be a pilot as long as they have a hole in their bum. .  but there we are.)

He asked someone else from his own club for help with this, and got a real Ace in his own mind to teach him. . . .

I only heard about the crash a month later,. . . they had tried to land on  runway which was parallel to a 132KV national grid power line, and 90 degrees out of wind.

The Kitfox ended up inverted in a field full of OIL SEED RAPE ( FECK YOUR BLOODY CANOLA ) under the Power Lines.. . .   Only cuts and bruises but the aircraft was a write off. 

When I asked him what went so wrong, he said he was thinking about 'pulling the collective' for a go around.  ( I $hit you not, . .that is what he said )

If anyone accuses me of BS here, I have the A/C registration, + all the names, places etc. . .. 

These folks walk amongst us,. .and when they have loads of money, they can be even more dangerous,. . . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well there is only so much one can say about a high performance stol aircraft failing to take off and the thread drift has been interesting, but gardening that's a bit to extreme.? 

Recreational Farming ? ?

• Like 2