Jabiru rescues Rotax plane

Back to the original post.... I was the pilot of said Rotax powered aircraft that got grounded at William Creek, upon landing in William Creek I discovered coolant was pissing out everywhere, we let the engine cool down then did some further investigations to find a split in the radiator, a new radiator was flown up and the aircraft flew back to Gawler yesterday nearly two weeks after it departed Gawler for William Creek. I am very grateful for the friendship us aviators form together, without it I would have been sitting in William Creek twiddling my thumbs for two week waiting for a new radiator. On the whole Jab vs Rotax thing they are both very good engines, they both have had and still do have their issues but I will happily fly an aircraft with either engine. One pilot at Gawler has said they don't want to fly that aircraft anymore because of the radiator, if I was to stop flying an aircraft every time it had an issue there would be none left to fly in, every plane has its issues throughout its lifetime and I'm sure it wont be the last one for this aircraft but am I going to fly it again? YUP. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like no spare radiator in oz for the aircraft, your the first to have that problem. I have been told that before with farm machines. How is the water in lake Eyre, got any pics ?  

• Like 1

I sure remember the business of "burping" the Rotax first thing in the morning.  The plane at William Creek is due to be worked on later today.( Thursday ). The main place for coolant leaks is from the water pump shaft seal, and at least on some installations you need the engine to be removed to get at the seal. I don't think that is the problem here.

There is a Lancair with a Lycoming 0-360 parked at my hangar right now. This engine first appeared in 1957! It may hold the record for the longest production run in history,  62 years as of today. You would hope they have got all the bugs out huh.

And it has an oil-cooler.

• Like 1

Here's more info: The Rotax plane is still at William Creek. There is a coolant leak from the radiator, and this grounds the plane.

The Jabiru actually flew from Gawler to William Creek and back to Gawler on 2 consecutive days to collect the pilots. That's 4 trips in all.

What a heroic thing by that Jabiru pilot huh.

There is no known event where a Jabiru engine was grounded by a coolant leak. 

Your right Bruce, never seen one grounded by a coolant leak.

but let’s see, dropped valves, broken through bolts, hmm, flywheel bolts and a myriad of other minor things.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Anything that has hoses and radiators that are separate from the engine internals has the capability of failure. The quality of the components and the regime of preventative maintenance reduces the risk of failure to a very small value. This is why failures are rare. But there will always be that 1 in a xxxx chance it will happen & in this case it did. Same with anything as has been found after an investigation. For example why did a jet engine blow up. A hairline crack in a compressor vane developed from a slightly imperfect casting that was found to be perfect when originally xrayed etc when installed was all it needed. Routine maintenance inspections failed to pick it up & then whammo. I have reduced all of the investigative detail down to two words. "SH!T HAPPENS"

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The plane is back at Gawler now sporting a new radiator.

Many years ago, the guy who did maintenance on a few motor-gliders at Tocumwal said to me that he dreaded  finding a coolant leakage from the Rotax motors. This, he said, was usually from the water-pump seal, and it necessitated removing the engine to get at it.

Interested what the rare failure cost the owner?

possibly similar to a rebuilt Jabiru engine.............(just stirring, for those who cant tell, as I expect Bruce was originally)

Parts for a broken  jab would have likely been nearby or overnight from QLD

Nothing is perfect.

• Like 2

This, he said, was usually from the water-pump seal, and it necessitated removing the engine to get at it

Depends on how far off the firewall the back of the engine is and what is in the way.

Plenty can be accessed and done in place. It might also depend on the ...ahhh... "flexability" (physical and mental) of the person involved replacing it. The longer it takes, the more $$ can be charged.

To be CLEAR, I'm not making and accusations against an individual or organisation and have no knowledge of this particular case. Some do indeed require engine removal.

Most leaks I have seen have come from the threaded section of pipe elbow that goes into and out of the heads. These just have loctite to seal and hold them at the correct angle for the hose, so try not to knock or push on them. As the loctite sets hard any movement "cracks" the seal. They generally just start a slow weep picked up on inspection.

I really wonder just how necessary it really was to ground the plane. A method, perfected by aborigines, is to wind back each side of the leaking pipe, fill with water, and continue... 

Of course, we are constrained by legal considerations to do things the stupidest and most expensive way possible.

3 cheers for our legal system please.

• Agree 1

I really wonder just how necessary it really was to ground the plane. A method, perfected by aborigines, is to wind back each side of the leaking pipe, fill with water, and continue... 

Of course, we are constrained by legal considerations to do things the stupidest and most expensive way possible.

3 cheers for our legal system please.

• Like 2

Another  bush method in the event of any kind of leak is to partially release the radiator cap so there is no pressure in the system. Pepper also works wonders for small leaks. 

• Like 1

As said erlier - repairs to the water pump"in situ" will depend on accessibility/firewall & mechanics motivation.  Having agreed with that, I wouold also point out, it being very easy to remove my 912 ULS from the aircraft , I assume it will be the same for most 912's, so if it will expedite the repair, remove the the engine - no big deal!

I also wonder about the need to ground the aircraft - plenty of off the shelf cooling system leak (temporary) repair products from your friendly auto accessory store - get you home for a more convenient/cheaper fix.

Interested what the rare failure cost the owner?

possibly similar to a rebuilt Jabiru engine.............(just stirring, for those who cant tell, as I expect Bruce was originally)

Parts for a broken  jab would have likely been nearby or overnight from QLD

Nothing is perfect.

Jetr,

I would hazard a guess for the radiator from Rotax anywhere between $1500 and 2 grand.

And yes many broken down Commodores sitting around for the Jab bits.

• Like 1

Nice video turbs and it sure shows a lot of skill and knowledge on the part of those Aborigines.  There actually was a "car" around Alice Springs ( I saw it myself more than once ) where one aborigine was sitting on a fender, no bonnet,  judiciously pouring petrol into the carby from a bottle. Apart from this, the car went ok. The pouring guy must have been quite good to replace the fuel pump and float valve as well as he did.

I was impressed how the cops left them alone. I bet whitefellers wouldn't have got away with this. The Aborigines have special dispensations, like freedom from seat-belt regulations. He probably was not breaking any laws.

Selleys "Liquid Nails" is a very effective method for fixing hairline cracks in aluminium radiators. Seen patches on cracked radiators done with LN, last for years.

Only problem being, it takes 24 hrs to set, and doesn't reach full strength for 7 days.

driving a repaired car home and flying a $100K aircraft over some of the remotest parts of Australia are quite different things

Its called doing a risk assessment - we all do this, even if its just to cross the street. A good temporary repair is almost as good as a replacement radiator - do  a few circuits, steep prolonged climb or two - land a check and if everything is holding you are probably not increasing your risk significantly.

• Like 3

A lot depends on where you are. I got stuck on Cocos Island and to fly an "O" ring there cost $35,000.  Nev

When was that?

I was stuck on Cocos 79 - 81, but they paid me to stay ?

We had one Orion that trashed one of its props and several days later a C130 arrived and disgorged a new kit.

I have made amazing repairs recently with superglue and baking soda. I don’t understand how it works, but it is the best and quickest adhesive sealant I have tried. I would use it on a radiator without hesitation. I fixed  the plastic throttle lever on my Victa mower among other things.

• Informative 1

I have made amazing repairs recently with superglue and baking soda. I don’t understand how it works, but it is the best and quickest adhesive sealant I have tried. I would use it on a radiator without hesitation. I fixed  the plastic throttle lever on my Victa mower among other things.

Talk about leaving us hanging - tell all!!

I canot believe the BS being written here, the aircraft had a major defect and can only be repaired  IAW manufactures procedures .as per usual here everybody has an opinion  about illegal  repairs an then complain about the authorities wanting to inflict  more regulations .l do know the facts because i am the engineer who said the aircraft could not be flown facts which i will not share on a forum with people in whos aircraft i would not fly in if they are maintained by the metods descibed

Mick W

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Winner 1